Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 08:24PM

My husband no longer believes in organized religion. Today he asked me to pick up a case of Snapple at Costco for him. He never goes to church and will point out to me if he hears something messed up about the church. He also stopped by the liquor store the other day and got me a new wine to try, although he doesn't drink himself. In other words, he's not a believing Mormon.

Yet he dons his horrible, getting raggedy garments every single day. He still sleeps in them and even though we are in the middle of an unusually warm summer, I can't convince him to switch to boxers. He doesn't believe in the church but I think he's just a little afraid still of breaking his sacred covenants. My BIL is the same way. He hasn't believed in years, only attends sporadically and only baptized one or two of his 5 kids. He doesn't particularly like Mormons, although he will go to the occasional ward party. He isn't even an RM and his wife is inactive on and off too and yet he also hangs onto his garments. I understand my SIL wearing her garments because she still believes, even if she doesn't get to church every Sunday but he is quite open that he doesn't believe and you can still see that garment line under his tee-shirts.

I could hardly wait to get rid of my garments. I hated them. But there was a lingering fear that I was breaking a solemn covenant - at least for a while. Once I took the garments off, I lost that low-grade depression that had plagued me for years too. Taking off the garments, throwing them in the trash marks and all, was great. It's funny how long disbelievers will hang on to their magic panties.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 08:39PM

They could:

- Be hedging their bets

- Not want to fail a "garment check" with friends/relatives/work associates

- Be really cheap

- Be so used to wearing them they can't imagine getting comfy in anything else

- Actually like them

Date: August 16, 2015 11:38PM

Good guesses and while I'm sure you are right about the last one, I absolutely can't imagine it. I could hardly wait to get them off.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 08:51PM

I have no idea and offering up conjecture about it is useless and a waste of time. How about this?
.... you need to ask him. He's the only one who can tell you.

Date: August 16, 2015 11:36PM

Really - and posting that you had no idea WASN'T a waste of time? Asking him would answer why HE did it but he doesn't speak for every inactive - just curious why people aren't taking them off first thing when their minds are free from Mormonism. PS - glad you are back saucie - I haven't seen anything you posted for a while and it was fun watching you start arguments by playing the devil's advocate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2015 11:40PM by CA girl.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 12:53AM

Thanks CA girl.... to be honest I never play the devils

advocate.... I just get straight to the point. Im just me.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 09:06PM

They don't want to go to church, but they don't want to lose the supposed magical powers of special underwear. You know, how they can keep you from burning, stop bullets, etc. At least that's what the anecdotal stories they believe say...

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 10:14PM

They've just never had a good pair of 100% cotton Calvin Klein or Diesel.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 10:55PM

Security blanket?

Buy some boxer-briefs in black or navy. Tell him how sexy he looks in them, in detail... and it makes you want to remove them.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 11:23PM

Ooh that is a great idea Ex-Sis!

Date: August 16, 2015 11:39PM

That is a good idea.

Posted by: 4ofusfamily ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 11:50PM

I'm LOVING not wearing garments...ugh...but it was really difficult to graduate into wearing actual undies--finding ones that didn't make pantylines, or cut on hot days or tight trousers. It's been a bit of a journey, to find what I really felt good in. Chopped the legs off those garment bottems immediately though! Those knee length suckers are gross!!!

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 11:55PM

Go undie shopping in TJMaxx or Ross or ????? just about any store with a lingerie section. You will find undies that are completely smooth and line-free as well as others that are mere whisps--also line free, for very reasonable cost. I used to like cotton, but now totally prefer these for comfort, how they are under stretch pants, and how I feel in them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2015 11:58PM

I was afraid of being taken over by satan, that I would be punished. Not like I hadn't already been through enough. Didn't want to tempt fate. My niece, who was the first person I heard call mormonism a cult, asked me why I still wore them. I asked my long-time therapist and he sent me here to read about garments. I laughed until I cried. And I got new underwear. I was also quite poor at the time, so it isn't like I could go out and completely replace all my underwear. All the garments I had, my mother had given to me for gifts. I hadn't had to buy any in years. I also was more overweight than the type of underwear I thought were comfortable.

It has been 10 years since I first came here to read about garments. I also tossed mine with all the markings.

I do believe more than anything it is habit. I'm so glad to not have that thermal underwear on in the summer anymore. My daughter is getting married in October. She sweats easily like my family does--and she is not going to be happy!?!? Of all things, we went to Hawaii on our honeymoon during a drought in September. I just looked for shade and stayed there.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 12:23AM

FUNNY STORY: I continued wearing top for awhile in summer heat cause they were breezy cool kind, sometimes without shirt when I worked in garden etc.. This so bothered D TBM W that she properly de-sanctified them while I was at work one day. I came home and put one on and guess what was peaking out where the markings use to be. This gave holy garments a whole new meaning.

Date: August 17, 2015 12:27AM

Keeps the nipples fresh! I'm giggling at the thought. :)

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 12:33AM

I am at a loss why anyone who is not a believer would put up with gross garmies.

Which brings up a question showing that I have been out of the garment loop, thank Ghawd, for a very long time. To purchase garmies do you have to have a temple recommend?

Date: August 17, 2015 01:04AM

Yes you do.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 09:42AM

Actually, you don't have to have a recommend to buy garments, only a member number they can look up. However, I keep thinking that we will see this coming 'round the corner as someone at ChurchCo realizes that they may be able to get people to pay tithing and get a recommend for the "privilege" of being allowed to buy garments.

Date: August 17, 2015 09:45AM

The last time I bought garments they asked to see my recommend. It's been two years ago though.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 09:56AM

Somebody with a wild hair up his arse could have made a mistake. If they required a temple recommend, all kinds of people would be denied the possibility to buy garments, and so far it appears that they don't want to do that. However, gone are the days when you could go in and buy garments for other people, I suppose.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 12:41AM

My parents are inactive but ALWAYS wear their garments. They still believe quite fervently. They just don't like our ward. And according to them they prefer to spend their Sundays as a family and know that I'm an unbeliever who would never attend church again.

My parents are pretty awesome. Still duped by TSCC, but awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 12:42AM by oneinbillions.

Date: August 17, 2015 01:06AM

They sound awesome. They chose you over TSCC, that's huge!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:13AM

18 years after we left, my wife still wears the bottoms. Says they keep her legs from rubbing together.

I suspect the bigger reason is to keep me away from her. Probably couldn't find anything less attractive.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 10:27AM

Some people actually like wearing them.

It seems to me like the people I've known who are completely inactive non-believers but still wear garmies are mostly men. I've been told by some men that they actually like them. It's just like a t-shirt and the longer briefs, but they like the ones that come to the knee.

I also have heard some women, especially overweight women, say that they like wearing the garmies because they hate having skin to skin. And the older you get, the less skin you want to show anyway.

These are just observations in answer to your question. Not my personal opinion. I hated hated hated those uglyass things. It was the biggest relief when I understood their history and how they evolved into what they are today and knew for sure that there is no godly meaning to them, no protection in them, and no eternal consequences to wearing or not wearing them. I can't imagine still being imprisoned in those things.

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 11:02AM

Because the poop stains in the back and the pee stains in the front make it so easy to know you're putting them on the right way?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.