Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 03:24PM

I thought it would be interesting to see how many peoole at Ward Branch level are actually attending the LDS church? So i thought if people could remember the last time they attended Sacrament meeting and could put how many attended, the State or Country it was in and how many overall were on the record. It does have to be precise just trying to get a snap shot!
So me for example :
Essex ,England , 70 attending 420 on record

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Unbelievable ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 03:38PM

NY, NY, maybe 50 attend out of 700 in one branch currently

Date: August 13, 2015 05:38PM

Wow!

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 06:08PM

North Salt Lake City - home of the infamous Dieter, Dallin and David and just south of Henry, Neil and D. Todd (Bountiful).

Elder's Quorum - 15-20 attend - over 400 on the roll. Inactivity rages right under their noses!

Date: August 13, 2015 07:04PM

In my last family ward also in NY, NY, approximately 150 attended out of 800 from (2005-2013).

Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 07:10PM

Just wondering if these numbers are seasonally adjusted in some way.

Church attendance, at most churches, is much lower in summer than in fall/spring.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 01:46PM

Not for many TBMs. They often make it a point to attend church whenever and wherever thay are on vacation.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 07:27PM

Stanwood wa. 400 in the ward. About 100 usually attended.

Posted by: geezerdogmom ( )
Date: August 13, 2015 07:37PM

Ocala FL 2nd Ward - I don't know exactly but heard that there were over 500 in the ward and usually 120 max in attendance. There were 184 single adults over 31 yrs of age of which only 8 attended SM. (I was Single Adult Rep.) June 2014.

Date: August 13, 2015 08:13PM

I recall in NY stake, there were over 1,000 singles over 30 and maybe 200 attended.

Date: August 14, 2015 05:47AM

I remember in my branch when the new Branch President came in he had a clear out! He got rid of about 100 members on record ,most met the elders got baptised, never attended church, end of story! Surely those in authority must see something is wrong!

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 07:32AM

My Sugarhouse/Millcreek ward had 350 families on record and only 80 attended. That was back in 2012 so who knows what it is now.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 08:05AM

Those attendances above look pretty good to me, particularly in light of the church's history.
I visited East Grinsteads church last Oct and Nov and I did rough head couts and there was usually a couple of hundred. I was impressed given your average Church of England attendance.

Date: August 14, 2015 08:13AM

You need to remember a few things, East Grinstead ward covers the temple so most of those arent locals they are church workers! Also in Britain Ward boundaries cover vast areas! The next wards to East Grinstead is Crawley or Haywards Heath!so the ward covers about ten C of E parishs! When i lived in Essex the ward i attended covered an area of about 300,000 people! It had in the ward boundaries 3 JW congregations, six Baptist churches etc. I now live in a town that has no ward or branch .The nearest is Hastings!

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 02:01PM

True enough, Tunbridge wells is pretty close and crawley isn't that far away. But you are right in comparisonnto the churchbof England whichnhas a church in nearly every village it is a big area. i thought about the temple workers but it did seem to be mainly the same crowd each week although I probably wasn't looking that closely.

Date: August 14, 2015 04:15PM

But if they work full time in the temple, they are usually there for two years, it would be the same faces!

Posted by: USA ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 08:18AM

Actual ward stats: 430 on record, 115 active.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 10:32AM

I would assume the no shows are not giving them money.

A better number would be how many of the active people are paying.

In the case of 50 out of 700 showing up in NYC, I doubt the ones paying membership dues kick in enough to pay for the lights.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:56AM

Don't give them any ideas! When I was a missionary in France they had so little money coming in we sat through meetings without any lights and no heat in winter. It was awful. Think of all the blessings we must be going to receive for sacrificing our health to LDS, Inc.

Date: August 14, 2015 01:42PM

Our branch met in a school that the roof leaked and had more pidgeons that members!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 11:44AM

So. Az. about 600 members

Average attendance around 105

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 01:50PM

Great post!

MY estimate is 100 vs 550 and we are in the northern end of the Moridor.

My exward will continue to get worse as actives are either moving because they see less actives hanging around to do the work and the old (nearly dead) increasing. At least I will be able to have rational conversations with many of them soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 10:07PM by spiritist.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 02:14PM

What we need is somebody to represent Chile. I understand they have the lowest Mormon activity ratio in the world. Anyone have insight to this?

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 03:32PM

Myron Donnerbalken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What we need is somebody to represent Chile. I
> understand they have the lowest Mormon activity
> ratio in the world. Anyone have insight to this?

I had a friend who served in Chile. He told me that the activity was approx 10%. He also told me about a lot of fake baptisms, drunks, paid people, etc.

On a side note, in his district, two of the elders married two of the local gals...while on their missions. The elders would work during the week, and then go live with their wives on the weekend. It didn't end well when the MP found out.

Posted by: bender ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 04:02PM

I served in Chile back in the mid 90's, during the huge "growth" phase. The branches I was in had about 200 to 250 people on the roles and about 15 attending. That includes little kids. The wards had between 500 to 600 on the roles with about 50 attending. This was all about 20 years ago. Since then activity rates have not improved. And they've consolidated a lot of stakes, wards and branches together so that they can function better. So now there must be wards there with well over 1000 people on the roles.

And we baptized a lot back then. Mainly drunks, homeless people, girls who had crushes on tall American boys. Lots of baptisms, no actual converts.

Date: August 14, 2015 04:13PM

I saw a video by a guy who was a mission President in Chile. He talked about previously elders making up baptisms from the grave yard. He said elders had the key to the chapels and were baptising people at night but they never attended church. He reckoned about 60,000 active in chile out of 500,000

Posted by: H.R. Pennypacker ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:01AM

A branch in the Tokyo suburbs 115 on the record. 8 people would attend church on a good week.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:03AM

The Japanese are smart!

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:52PM

Chileans are smart!

Date: August 17, 2015 07:51AM

Someone told me in France branches there are hardly any local french people its all move ins!

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 12:34PM

During my mission about a decade ago in Hawaii my best ward had probably 140 people active on a 600 person record. That was a really strong ward.

My weakest Ward was about 60 active on a 700 person record. Average was pretty much 100 active to 600 on record.

Tithe payers were for sure less than the number of active. If I was to ballpark it I'd say half the active were tithe payers. They were the ones we would see in the temple.

Posted by: escapedin2012 ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:10PM

Western Maryland....150 on good day, 900+ on records. Over the last 3yrs a branch and ward disolved into one ward.

Posted by: Phoenix ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:13PM

South Tempe/Ahwatukee - Phoenix, AZ

~650 on record in a recently combined ward

Roughly 180 active on a weekly basis according to the bishop

The South Tempe stake is dying, tptb talk about it all the time

boo hoo :)

Posted by: anontodayandtomorrow ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:48PM

nothern end of Davis county in the morridor. ~500 on the rolls, 170 attend weekly. its the same statistic in most morridor wards; less than 50% activity from "members"

13 million members world wide is probably only 1 million actively attending every week.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 01:49PM

Keep the statistics coming, this is a great conversation

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: August 17, 2015 02:39PM

In the largest Laminite ward on the North West side of the Navajo Res there are 80-90 active members with about 4,000 on record. (My last stake calling, which I declined, was to go yea out and clean up the membership records, no thanks.) So much for blossoming as a rose.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.