Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olive ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 08:16PM

I've had the same PT job now for almost 5 years. I work at a library and the hours are flexible so it allows me to be with my young son and work so I get the best of both worlds. The past couple of years have been hard of course and for the past 3 years we've been dodging layoffs, furloughs, etc. Our budget has been cut dramatically while our demand has been high (especially for computers). Well, the front-page story in today's paper is about our county leaders telling all the workers to expect furloughs and maybe layoffs. My husband is an officer for the same county so it would impact both of us. My coworkers and I were talking about the "what-ifs" and wondering what was going to be done. I had taken a 25% reduction in hours last fall so I was thinking my job was going to be on the chopping block.

I had asked my husband to ask around to see if anyone had heard about any job openings. Well, his family is buddy-buddy with the stake president, who just happens to be an orthodontist. He has an office that's about 20 minutes from my house and they'd been meaning to get extra help. I do have some experience with medical billing as I'd worked for another family friend who was a chiropractor (yes, these docs are all mormon). While I was happy that they were enthusiastic about me and wanted me to email them a resume, etc. I was secretly dreading the prospect of another mormon boss. I was even planning my post for tonight asking if I should bite the bullet and take this job even though I'd be working for a stake president. And my in-laws (all mormon) would be taking credit for this and hanging it over my head about my evil ways and whatnot.

And then...

I got a phone call literally an hour after that from a bank that I had interviewed with back in January. They were looking for someone PT as well and with the increase in pay and some hours I would be making more than double what I'm making now. This bank is 15 minutes from my house and is a small bank (only 2 locations) with mostly commercial accounts. I looked them up to make sure they weren't about to go belly-up as many banks are and they are pretty financially stable. The problem was, they were waiting for the person that already had the job to leave because he had just graduated with an MBA and hadn't found one yet. So yeah, I pretty much assumed I would never actually get hired on. But he had just landed a job with, wait for it, Coca-Cola (that evil company!!) and now they were saying I could come on board.

This all happened literally within 4 hours of each other. I am very excited because I was dreading having to search for another job that could still work out with my home life and I was really wanting the bank job because it just seems so right for me. Plus, I did it on my own and don't owe anyone any favors for it (especially my in-laws!!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 09:11PM

Nice bonus that you don't have to feel you owe the in-laws.

Date: March 22, 2011 11:16PM

I'm not sure when I'll start. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow and sort out all the details. The county I work for is in such a crunch that it's highly unlikely they'll fill my position. I'm thinking if they give me an option I would like to start between March 4-11.

I was so happy when I got the news. I couldn't have asked for better timing. Very rarely do events and news come together like this to work out.

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:18AM

Hey, when you're done with that time machine, could I borrow it for just a bit? ;)

Posted by: Lindi ( )
Date: March 22, 2011 09:31PM

Congrats Olive! It's wonderful when dilemmas work themselves out.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:58AM

Come clean, you were fasting and praying about this, weren't you? <evil grin>

Date: March 23, 2011 11:47AM

Not only was I fasting and praying but my name was on the rolls at the temple...

Oh and I fed the missionaries twice last week and wrote a check for back-tithing...

:)

Posted by: Teagee ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 12:08PM

OR ... you could think - I've done the work, I've prepared myself, I put myself in the right place so at the right time, so I could make this happen. You took your time to apply for a job, you took your time to interview for the job. Your experience and knowledge made you eligible for the job. You have worked and are working to make money so you could drive to the interview. You used your knowledge and contacts to make it be known you were looking for more work.

What else are did you do for yourself to make this happen? Probable hundreds of little things that allowed the 'stars to align' so that you put yourself where you needed to be when you needed to be there.

OR ... you could think - the lord look down upon you from his golden throne and thought, "well, I haven't caused any natural disasters today, might as well throw out a branch to Olive and pull her up. yeah, I was doing anything else, so I'll perform this lil' ole miracle for ya."

Congrats on making your own 'luck

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:46PM

Congratulations. Hope the new job is interesting and rewarding. You do realize, of course, that you only got it because you've been paying your tithing no matter how little money there was for food. . .

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:48PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.