Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 03:43PM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A former mayor of Salt Lake City has sued the National Security Agency over what he calls a mass warrantless surveillance program monitoring texts, emails and phone calls during the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Attorney Rocky Anderson claims that the agency worked with the FBI to intercept and analyze all communications in the Salt Lake City area before and during the games, which were held less than six months after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

"I was outraged by this," Anderson said Wednesday. "Fundamentally, we want to get to the truth and expose what our government is doing."

The NSA did not immediately return messages seeking comment, and a spokesman for the FBI in Salt Lake City declined to comment.

Anderson says he learned about the program from a 2013 report in the Wall Street Journal and has since confirmed it with an unnamed agency source.

He says in the suit that the NSA and the FBI intercepted and analyzed all the contents of text messages and emails for key words and collected data on every phone call in the area. Some of those calls were recorded and analyzed, all without probable cause, the complaint alleges.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=36043670&nid=148&title=ex--salt-lake-city-mayor-sues-nsa-over-olympics-surveillance

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 06:01PM

None other than my friend, mentor, and fact checker, William Grant Bagley himself...

I got the heads up on this when I was in his office a week or two ago...

Okay, I owe him that book review of the Bigler autobiography he's just edited ("Confessions of a Revisionist Historian), but I've been a bit busy gelding Internet trolls in a couple of places.

Helps with the road rage, honest...

BTW, Rocky Anderson used to be a cabdriver, and honest, he went to the same grade school as several RFM-ers including Benson and myself.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 12:59PM

. . . Dr. Fitzgerald, who was excommunicated for standing up against the Mormon Cult's racist anti-Black doctrine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 05:46PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 06:33PM

A pretty classy class-action I'd say.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:29AM

Not just a former mayor. An exmormon--one of us.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 01:40PM

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: August 23, 2015 02:33PM

"Rocky" Anderson is perpetually outraged about something or maybe something else, and raises his voice a few octaves so everyone knows it.

He's a real drama queen. A personality like that could only have been formed within the Mormon church or in opposition to it.

Anywhere else in the world, he gets laughed off the stage. In Salt Lake City, he serves two terms as mayor.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 01:19PM

Rocky III...

Maybe using a certain California politician as a blueprint...

He micromanaged to a fault, but that's about the worst I could say about him (particularly compared to his now-deceased predecessor and the current Mayor Bicycle).

Biggest "bullet point" on his resumé:

He regularly pissed off the LDS mouthpieces at the Deseret News.

BTW, that's a bit of blasphemy in your moniker, claiming propaganda is history...

And the problem with reasonable politicians in Utah is they wind up suffering from PTSD from enduring all the dysfunction within the looney bin.

Now go review his handling of the Olympics, particularly in light of the tight rope act he had to pull off with all of the competing special interests and in light of the Olympics scandal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.