Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:17PM

Two or three years back my wife and I took a trip to sin city
While heading south on I-15 we saw the Cove Fort exit and decided to check it out. It was just another cookie cutter faux church bull-@$&$-a-round. First we had to watch "the video". Then some not-so-sweet "sister" took us on the tour with her memorized schtick. Then I did not think we were going to get our arses out of there because she stood in the middle of the exit and refused to move until we filled out a referral card. We did not. We could not get to the parking lot fast enough. It might have been worse than the Ogden Temple tour.

I dig history, I majored in it. However, I have no desire to visit a church "historical" site again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 11:47PM by tensolator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:25PM

Dammit !
Now I'm having a bad thought of a hefty woman wrestling you to the ground.

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: August 21, 2015 11:40PM

Yea we did the Cove Fort thing when we were still TBM. I'm like you in that i love history. we even got a follow up phone call from the dear sister. now we live in the midwest, close to the "Mormon Trail Center" in Omaha, NE. While I would like to go for historical reasons, the thought that it would be just like Cove Fort keeps me away.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:45AM

I first thought the Winter Quarters trail center was like the wonderful BLM/Park Service National Trails Centers we have visited, but it seems like it is run by Mormons. Guess I will miss it. I do highly recommend any of the BLM Trail Centers though. They have a set of travel booklets, one per state, that cover the historic sites of the big trails - California, Oregon, and, yes, the Mormon Trail.

Posted by: ladyhawk ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:02AM

Last summer we were doing some roaming around Utah. My friends from California had come to visit for a while. We hit Cover Fort on our adventures. Our guide was a bit snide. We did manage to somehow completely avoid any of that referral card stuff. But, we did get the schpeel at the exit. My friend acted super nice and took a Book of Mormon from them. She had us laughing about it for the rest of the day. None of my friends are Mormon and I was acting like I knew nothing about it.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:30AM

Let's not be so hasty!!!!

I agree that the Cove Fort thing is appalling. Didn't it get a big boost because SWK's ancestors lived there? Or something like that.

Having said that: the Big Rock Candy Mountain is worth a visit. And next to the mountain there is (or was a few years ago) a really excellent restaurant there. I had some raspberry chicken. Very tasty.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 09:36AM

I think it was Hinckley's baby, his ancestors and his project. I think it would have gone unnoticed and unimproved if it wasn't for him. and then of course it became a church project in order to convert people and that sort of thing.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 02:25AM

Funny, Big rock candy Mtn Ut. and Mount Carmel, Ut.. I get confused to this day..the Thunderbird Restaurant by Mt. Carmel is famous for their "ho-made pies". Really great food if your down in southern Utah.

I have driven by Cove Fort a dozen times on our way to Lake Powell. Proud to say it never interested me at all. Manti pageant also not on my agenda..

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 07:58AM

I stop every historic place with my nevemo wife....
Buut...be willing to take dumbed down history and stupid piece of literature...
Still its worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2015 07:59AM by quinlansolo.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 10:00AM

We went to Cove Fort several years ago while we were still TBM. The couple who were our tour guides were so obnxiously agressive about referrals, that it made me very uncomfortable. You would have thought they were paid based on the number of referrals they generated.
I couldn't imagine being a noMo on that tour. The pressure to agree to missionary visits would put them off Mormonism for good. (Not a bad thing.)

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 10:31AM

My friend visited the community of christ temple at Kirtland and said the tour was just like a tour of any historical building, no pushing their church or getting a referal. When he got to the end he could smell coffee! The guide said to another one, " have you got the coffee on im dying for a drink!" The other said, " you bet" and they went off for a coffee leaving my friend to wander as he wanted!

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: August 22, 2015 12:40PM

We stopped there once around 25 years ago. They didn't have a movie and we just wandered around. I think there was only one senior mishie couple from the church. I recall nothing of the fort, who was supposedly there and why, yada yada, but they had just finished raising a timber frame barn and _that_ was cool. I spent almost all my time there checking out the joinery.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 02:33AM

there is nothing wrong with seeing "what has come to pass" in the MORmON church, including seeing the original round of Hinckley building for the MORmON empire at cover fort and the latest round at temple square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkVNWHT-IA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhAIjF0wQI

there is also nothing wrong with telling a MORmON missionary working at cove fort that the MORmON church is filthy vile criminal enterprise, and that you just came from the MMM memorial site, which is the other site of interest for MORmON history in the area. Being truly informed on these matters allows a person to make these declarations on an authoritative basis.

I actually had a great experience at cove fort, I went there with my TBM parents, several years after I had stopped believing in LDS Inc. I was explaining some historical things to them about the actual construction of the fort with the LD$ inc official tour guide in tow. From what I had said, He decided that all of us must be TBMs, So at the conclusion of the tour he demanded a referral from me for the missionaries. I asked him "based on what?" he persisted, I was about to say something to back him off, My TBM mom decided to intercede before the tour guide got his MORmON face verbally ripped off. She told him that he really better let up before he found himself way over his head in a very bad situation. She was right.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 03:07PM

I loved my visit to Cove Fort about ten years ago on my way to an exmo conference in SLC.

When the tour guide made a comment about Ira HInckley living in a cabin with his wife I immediately asked, which one?

I'm not sure if it would have been boring for me if it were not built and lived in my my ancestors, since it was. They had an original bed there and I was thinking, pretty good chance my ggreat grandma was born on that very bed.

At the end of the tour the mishie lady asked if I was a relative, based on my questions throughout the tour she was pretty sure I was. I said yes and we talked about about wife number 4, who was never a real polyg wife at all, except in the joesmith model, Grandpa Ira never lived with her, he just had sex, made a baby, which he then refused to see for most of it's first two years of life because he was scared of going to the Pen. He was eventually caught anyway and did not time, only paid a fine. Tour guide seemed sincere in agreeing with me that polygamy was truly awful to that family.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 05:35PM

It's always fun to tour the Mormon hysterical sites.

When my nevermo wife and I went to Carthage, she refused to go inside where the holy brothers were made more holey. But I did.

I was in a group of about fifteen people, and my guess is that every single one of them was a faithful Mormon. Our guide was an old guy who couldn't remember much of the details of anything that wasn't directly connected with the Events of That Day.

As we all entered the room where the Prisoners were at the time of the attack, our guide closed the door reverently. I noticed that boxes of tissues were placed strategically around the room, so that if we were overcome with emotion in that Sacred Place, we could grab one and weep appropriately and without restraint. He paused for a moment, crossed his hands piously over his abdomen, and said quietly, "I'm sure you all feel the Spirit in this room."

I couldn't resist. I said, "Of course, what spirit one feels depends on what one believes, doesn't it?" He said, somewhat flustered, I think, "Of course," and said that we would now listen to a tape recording which re-enacted the sounds of the Prophet's last minutes on earth. One man knelt down and bowed his head as the tape played.

When the tape ended, our guide bore his testimony, assuring us of his admiration for Joseph Smith, for his divine calling, for his great contributions to mankind, and so on. After he finished, he just stood there. Nobody moved, nothing was said. There was a full two minutes of silence. I suppose there was a lot of silent praying going on among my fellow pilgrims. Even the children in the group were silent (having been well-trained, I suppose, in Sunday School). Finally I dared to break the silence and said, "May we ask questions?"

Our guide said that we could. I asked first, "Why didn't the tape recording say anything about the shots Joseph Smith fired at his attackers, using the pistol which he was carrying?"

The guide acknowledged that the Prophet did, indeed, have a pistol that had been smuggled to him, and that he did shoot it. He didn't say why no mention was made on the tape of this brave act.

I then asked, "Exactly how many widows did Joseph Smith leave behind?"

He said, "Well, we don't know, but a number of women had been sealed to him for eternity only." One woman spoke up and said, "We don't know how many!"

I said, "Todd Compton's book - you know, the Mormon historian? - lists about forty, doesn't it? You've read it, haven't you?"

My next question was going to be why there was no mention on the tape of the fact that Joseph Smith, just before he fell from the window, gave the Masonic sign of distress. But then I realized that I was standing right in front of that very window, surrounded by what was becoming an "angry mob," and there were no Masons standing below to come to my aid. Also, unlike Joe, I had no pistol. So I took the coward's way out, and scurried down the stairs.

My wife had entertained herself by watching Mormons having their photos taken in front of the life-sized statue of Joseph and Hyrum on the grounds.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 25, 2015 09:21AM

That took some guts to ask those questions in a Mormon crowd. It's weird how the "spirit" leaves when the real truth comes out. The tour guides need more visitors like you to help them be more truthful.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 05:53PM

My son told me about the time he took his new wife to the visitors center in Old Town San Diego and she watched the schpiel about the church. I asked him was her take on it was (she's a never mo Philippina). He say she was like "This is ridiculous! How could anyone believe a word of that?"

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 08:49PM

A few years back I stopped with a semi-TBM friend and did the tour. We skipped the movie.

Much to the embarrassment of my friend, I was smirking through most of the gracious missionary gentleman's spiel. (Really, he was a very nice man.)

When he showed us the room the women stayed in and the room the men stayed in I couldn't help wonder what that must have been like - one twin sized bed in each room.

Then he came to the room Brigham Young himself stayed in on his journey south. (Of course, he had a BIG bed.) He showed us BY's valise and said in his most reverent tone, "Brigham Young rolled his clothes instead of folding them to keep them from getting wrinkled". Unable to resist, I said, "Or he had one of his wives do it".

I wish I had a picture of his sweet face while he stammered, "Well, um...er...a... yes, well ..."

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 09:16PM

Cove Fort has wonderful restrooms! Very clean and across the parking lot from the fort. It is an excellent place to relieve one's bladder or take a dump after a long drive on I-15. The Boner.

Date: August 24, 2015 09:42PM

Only borderline ignorance/boredom can prevent people skipping the History of UtaH.
Especially someone who majored in History.....
Did you visit any Native American sites, which we in Utah have some of the best ones.

Date: August 24, 2015 10:01PM

I don't use "ignorant" in a negative way....
More people act ignorant about seeing Utah's historic parts there's more room for me & my kind, who thrives in visiting historic places...
Yea....I mean I love Vegas and I enjoy like everyone else..

But CoveFort, Edge of Cedars, Horseshoe Canyon, San Rafael and ten thousand other places, each more prettier than other...Incredible and empty.....
Thank you for skipping.....

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 24, 2015 10:09PM

My mother passed away on 4/6/1980, after a couple of years of cancer, at age 68.

That year, April 6 was on a Sunday, plus it's the day the church was organized. It was also General Conference that day, of course.

She died about 5am and by the time we all gathered at my brother's home, where she had been for about 2 weeks, mostly in a coma, conference was on the TV and I remember (I think) that Hinckley had gone to the visitors center there and it was dedicated that day. He spoke during the morning conference and said that he had family history there.

I've driven between SLC and southern Utah and Las Vegas many times and still have never stopped at the Cove Fort visitors center.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.