Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon666 ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:02AM

Me neither.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:06AM

About 1100 years?

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:24PM

Posted by: passing through ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:00PM

I think Muhammad truly believed that God spoke to him whereas JS just made it up as part of his con, then began to truly believe that he was God himself.

According to Islamic tradition, when Muhammad first started hearing voices/seeing apparitions, he panicked and ran home hyperventilating, then had his wife wrap him in blankets and hid for hours, convinced he'd been the victim of evil spirits.

I think this shows he always thought things were being controlled by an external supernatural source, whereas JS was cocky and smug about his angelic visit and golden plates. He wasn't frightened of any supernatural stuff because he knew he'd made the whole thing up.

I think M was delusional but sincere and JS was lucid and lying.

Date: August 27, 2015 01:03PM

passing through Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to Islamic tradition, when Muhammad
> first started hearing voices/seeing apparitions,
> he panicked and ran home hyperventilating, then
> had his wife wrap him in blankets and hid for
> hours, convinced he'd been the victim of evil
> spirits.

According to mormon tradition, after Joseph Smith saw the angel Moroni, he was so exhausted from the angelic visions that he collapsed out in the field, overwhelmed by lack of sleep and spiritual overload.

My point: the "traditions" could be stories told after the fact to try and convince people of the "reality" of the apparitions. That's just as likely as the "traditional stories" being true, if not more so :)

Posted by: Passing through ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:21PM

That's true. There's no telling what really went on, is there?

I hadn't heard that bit of the first vision, where JS was overwhelmed. The mishies didn't give me that version.

I just get so much more of a "crazy" vibe from M, having read the Quran. I don't think JS was actually hearing voices, I think he was just a liar.

Date: August 27, 2015 01:35PM

Passing through Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hadn't heard that bit of the first vision, where
> JS was overwhelmed. The mishies didn't give me
> that version.

It wasn't the "first vision" -- that story was made up later on. The first vision he told anybody about was the supposed three-times visit from Moroni, telling him about the plates. That's the one I was referring to.

> I just get so much more of a "crazy" vibe from M,
> having read the Quran. I don't think JS was
> actually hearing voices, I think he was just a
> liar.

There may be something to that :) Then again, it just may be that Mohammed used the language of his time, and the ideas of "visions" of his time, which may sound "crazier" to us than the later JS stories. I don't know if either "heard voices;" I doubt either did. Though some kind of mental illness producing hallucinations isn't out of the question with Mohammed (it pretty much is with Smith).

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:26PM

The description of JOe being tired and exhausted is how a lot of people feel after they take shrooms and are awake all night. Just sayin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 01:27PM by madalice.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:05PM

Not really, they both had ardent followers who would do anything the prophet asked. They both liked little girls and sex with many. They both told good stories. No, not really much to differentiate between these two other than time.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:28PM

Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, Siddharta Gautama, Muhammad, Moses... Anyone who made up a religion and conned people into believing it is a criminal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.