Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 02:26PM

Seems to me HJ turning from treasure digger into a holy man happened rather suddenly.

Was Rigdon's religious zealotry the catalyst or did Joe's friends and family put him up to it?

I'm fairly sure he didn't think it up on his own as he never seemed to have an original thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:07PM

My speculation is rather not that Rigdon put him up to it, but rather that Rigdon's aspirations hit a nerve with ole Joey, planting ideas and "visions". He was the catalyst, and from there Joe used him and Sydney used Joe.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:08PM

I think that he just fell into it. I suspect that he said something ridiculous that was taken seriously. Then, he was just smart enough to recognize that the poor people around him would actually fall for his nonsense. So he went all out after it.

His whole life, as far as I can tell, was spent looking for a scam that he could get away with. And inventing a religion with himself as the great prophet was the one that succeeded. I'd guess that he was absolutely amazed when he first realized that it would work.

Then, sadly, he started to take himself seriously.

Posted by: Gone girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 03:57PM

Yes^^ I thought this was brilliantly laid out in 'the Book of Mormon' with elder green. The parallels were spot on in my opinion.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 04:12PM

I think you fell into it. He was too lazy to write the novel he wanted to write, so he came up with a wild story to get his friend to write it out while he dictated. That went over so well he just decided to see how far he could push it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 04:13PM by thingsithink.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:18PM

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:25PM

I don't imagine it's hard for a good con man to realize that a con protected by the first amendment is better than one that will bring the law down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.