Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: curious ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:13PM

If TBM recommits their wedding vows (outside a temple).. technically only temple card carrying members should or could witness the blessed event and what would the vows be like?

Wouldn't they just be covenanting to give all they have or will have to the Church over again. Maybe this is why we never see them do this. I'm sure the tscc would not condone since they are not a part of it.

Had a freind recomitt wedding vows in a non denominational church after 30 years of marriage and it was beautiful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:19PM

When I married my first husband, I was TBM and he was a nevermo. I told the bishop who was going to marry us that we wanted a small ceremony now and we would renew our vows at a later time when we had more money for a bigger ceremony. He told me that the church does not believe in "renewing" vows, that the only time you should have a second ceremony is to go to the temple after a civil wedding. This was in 1984.

The second time I got married, both I and current spouse were TBM but we were not "temple worthy" and had a civil ceremony. Now, there is no way we will ever get sealed since I have resigned. We are planning to have a vow renewal ceremony next year for our 10th anniversary. I told TBM hubby what that bishop said in 1984 and hubster says he doesn't care what the church says,we are going to do what we want to!!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:41PM

Church will throw a hissy fit if you try to have a second ceremony, or a vowel renewal, even if it is for your fiftieth wedding anniversary. The reason is that the expectation of what a wedding should be like, even among members, and the reality of a Mormon temple ceremony are so far apart. They don't want anything that reminds members of the shortcomings of the temple.

Weird too, when one considers all the money made by the wedding industry, you'd think they would be trying to get in on that kind of action.

They probably are also opposed to gay marriage, because they know there is no way they can compete with that.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:50PM

This is one of the many things you can add to the ever-growing list of things that the LDS church does not allow their members to do. Like Easter sunrise services, it is either "forbidden" or "highly discouraged" by the church.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:52PM

Well, I for one, am going to have a HELL of a vow renewal ceremony. I am even going to wear a strapless gown!!!!!

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 12:59PM

I have told my DW that we should have a vow renewal ceremony. The date would be the same as our original wedding, NOT the temple sealing which I regard as meaningless and worse. Once she leaves TSCC, we will have it. Maybe even before she quits. I want our grandchildren to see a real ceremony. I want it before we lose our health.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: April 01, 2013 01:07PM

I know a judge in the Utah country were I live who does weddings (and does an AWESOME job). He does lots of renewals, mostly for Mormons. No issue for him (TBM/Bishop). He loves it. Thinks it's great.

If you want to do something, stop worrying about what someone else things.

Posted by: Myra Thomas ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:31PM

I don't see why a renewal wedding ceremony would be looked down upon by the church. You don't need a new marriage license it's not even a legal ceremony. Just as celebration of why you fell in love and the promise made by both parties.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:34PM

that's WHY they hate it!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:52PM

Yeah, just think... you might actually make REAL wedding vows, to each other, and NOT to the bloodsucking morg!

Nope, nope, nope. Can't have that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.