Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: at a loss... ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 12:47AM

Honest question...I dated a Mormon for a while who has now resigned but now seems more Mormon than ever. We've long been done but, like a train wreck, I can't seem to stop watching. He absolutely refuses to work and thinks he shouldn't have to. In fact, since resigning he doesn't have time to work because he needs to spend hours on line every day to research exactly how he has been victimized by the church. Codependent family keeps bailing him out and he just seems to move from one situation to the next that he can use for a while. Honestly, he seems to have ingrained that he'll have several wives who will support him and beg him for his priestly favors, which were few and far between and average at best.
Is this typical with some Mormon men or just a lack of character? I hope this doesn't sound offensive I'm just totally confused.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:06AM

He is a lazy bum. They come in all stripes and have all kinds of excuses for being slimeballs. Completely ignore him. He is a major loser and will be a loser no matter what religion he is or isn't. He has the CULT as his excuse. If is wasn't the cult, it would be something else. He is just bad news, PERIOD!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:09AM

DITTO

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 01:42AM

Some people have little ambition or desire to work. You find that across a range of cultures. If those people can find others who will support them, or a means of support, then they can indulge their inclinations.

Although I think that supporting yourself financially builds character, I'm not going to judge people who live off of family wealth. Most of us work because we have to.

Date: August 29, 2015 04:45AM

3 opinions already of great value to me. Thank you.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 05:49AM

I've heard of this type of men more when I was LDS, than post-LDS.

From women who were married to them, in the church.

One guy packed and left after his wife ordered him out. She had five little children, the youngest was a newborn, when she decided she'd rather be stuck with raising five children alone, than six (him being the sixth.)

He moved from the panhandle of Idaho down to Boise in record time, where he hooked up with a female attorney who took him in and supported him.

Not sure why it seemed more prevalent in the Mormon church, where industry and thrift is preached as the "norm." It was cognitive dissonance at its worst.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2015 05:50AM by amyjo.

Date: August 29, 2015 10:53PM

Thanks amyjo! And others. The rift between Mormon industry and thrift is where this hasn't made sense to me. I think Mama seems to enjoy having made him a loser. Sad.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:13PM

I might be in the minority here, but maybe, just maybe, he is actually still having issues. Depression is a learned behavior in LDS inc and resigning doesn't make that go away. Perhaps you should consider that he might need help.

Date: August 30, 2015 03:19AM

5 or 6 years of trying to get him to get help. To save my own sanity I've given up on that.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 29, 2015 11:34PM

Is he reading a lot of Rock Waterman, Denver Snuffer or other pure Mormonism sites.

The reason I ask is because this is how a lot of FLDS and Polygamous groups act/survive. The men "manage" the family but it's the women who raise the children, the kids and women run the companies/farms.

The men are supposed to rule and be the head of all endeavors and family so he thinks he's the CEO of everything and doesn't have to physically or financially provide.

Date: August 30, 2015 12:08PM

Don't know if he's reading those sources but that seems to be his mindset.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.