Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Black Grape ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 04:52PM

The John Oliver thread reminded me of the James Randi doc I recently watched. In it he combatted the new age industry like Uri Gellar. You would think the people who were being duped by the con artists would be thankful for the exposes. Nope. They fought back against Randi and entrenched themselves deeper in their misinformed beliefs. I have to think they want to believe this stuff. So anything Oliver does with these televangelists will have the same result. Hell the preachers themselves parade their wealth around openly to their congregation so they have to know how their donations are being spent. Maybe they think the greater good is the word of the lord is being spread...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 04:59PM

I think his goal is to get the government to do their jobs and properly audit these mega churches that are obviously using the money sent into them improperly.

If anyone learns the truth, that'd be great, but I have a feeling that people who watch John Oliver aren't in the groups that watch and send money into these con artists. I'm pretty sure John Oliver knows that.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 05:15PM

...sure they do!! Just like Monson and crew!!

http://media.salon.com/2013/01/searching_for_zion2.jpg

Posted by: finnan haddie ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 05:30PM

Of course some of them don't want out. Who wants to hear that they've been duped? Also, think of the sunk costs!

But there's still a benefit in publicising it so that people who haven't already fallen for it are forewarned.

Much easier to stop someone getting entangled, before they have a stake in it and before they've been manipulated, than to get them out once they're in. Prevention is better than cure!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 08:15PM

The F-ing IRS is totally gutless. These televangelists and con artists get away with their tax-free BS while the IRS chases poor slobs who got caught up in some kind of red-tape regulatory BS.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 09:44PM

A-frickin'-men!

Posted by: Texas Sue ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 11:44PM

Did you watch "Going Clear"? Employees of the IRS were at the Church of Scientology party to help celebrate their tax exempt status! They are not stupid, they're in on it!

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 01, 2015 08:17PM

No. But they sure want people's hard earned money!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.