Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shadowofadoubt ( )
Date: September 05, 2015 09:31PM

As I have come to believe that the Book of Mormon was authored, not translated, in the 1820s, I have been fascinated by different theories on how Joseph Smith was able to perform such a task if his scribes were truly unaware of his lies. This is a theory I really enjoyed which assumes that Joseph's rock-in-hat performance was basically one long oral story. Impressive scheming...

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/31/who_really_wrote_the_book_of_mormon/

What are your theories? Who might have helped? Who was a truly unaware believer?

All theories welcome :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 05, 2015 09:56PM

I don't think Joe wrote it, at least not by hisself!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: September 06, 2015 02:12PM

There is quite a bit of evidence supporting the Spalding-Rigdon theory. Jockers, Witten, and Criddle conducted a wordprint analysis showing strong signatures of both Rigdon and Spalding in the majority of the original text, as well as a few signatures from Cowdery, Smith, and Pratt. The results of their research is contained at mormonleaks.com.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 06, 2015 02:20PM

I think it was a composite written and edited by Joe, Oliver and Sydney Rigdon. The writing of it spanned a great deal more time than is claimed, and it was originally created to make a profit. It was of a genre of books popular at the time, purporting to explain the origin of the Native Americans. When the book didn't sell well, Joe mixed it in with his next scheme, a religion he started.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 06, 2015 02:33PM

Hey, it gets re-written all the time, in meaning if not actual words, so I guess you could say...apologists?

I mean, who else would who tell you that the BoM mentions millions of Native Americans who were already living in the Americas when Nephi dropped anchor...ahhh, but you need to do a *careful* reading of the text....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.