Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 01:04PM

"In the 37-plus years since 1978, when the ban ended, he said, membership in the Utah-based faith has skyrocketed in sub-Saharan Africa from about 7,500 to 450,000. Another 45,000 African refugees and immigrants have been baptized in Europe, making up about 50 percent of the new Mormons in those countries."

I imagine the other 50 percent are Asian immigrants.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 01:19PM

"Mormons in Africa are unaffected by their church's now-discarded ban on blacks being ordained to the faith's all-male priesthood, an African LDS general authority said Friday."

Whaaa? They don't see it's a cracker white church? where's their dignity and pride? I will admit though Africans see things from a different perspective than American Africans. When I was mishi to the southern States the immigrant blacks didn't seem aware of the history of racism, or they didn't care. Generational American Blacks however could always spot the bullshit and usually let us know.

One more observation, I listened to this GA's talk last April all about marrying in the temple. And I'm like why on earth is he talking about this? It's bad advice in a church that is against interracial dating? Unless he wasn't talking to European/American audiences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 01:23PM by poopstone.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 01:32PM

People living in poverty, strife, war & despair will accept a lifeline from anybody that may help them out of their current state. Hopefully, they'll use the church & their resources more than they'll get used by the church.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 01:50PM

ADMIN here hates it when I get blood all over their nice clean BB, but the Tribune still affords me roadkill privileges. Helps with the road rage, serkiously...

Here's the only hint I will give: k = c...

SLC
Who thinks of his friend StillAnon who's still banned as far as I know,
In part I kick against the pr*cks for you, sir...

Date: October 10, 2015 02:07PM

Hey Cabbie. Still friends. Still banned. I haven't attempted to create a new name or new IP addy. Check in every now & then. Trib seems watered down & morphing into a D-News clone. Comment board looks neutered. How are you?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 01:55PM

k=c ? can you give one more hint...

Date: October 10, 2015 02:10PM

Yeah- they both end with abbie.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 02:20PM

Translation: In the interest of surviving and /or bettering their ultra meager existence in any way possible, ultra poor people in third world circumstances -sub Saharan Africans in this instance, are super vulnerable to the ulterior motivated PR based advances and solicitations of opportunistic wealthy organizations based in developed industrialized capitalized nations.

Flip Response: WOW ! IMAGINE THAT !!!!

Desired LD$ Inc PR Spin: Look at all that we do for the poor disadvantaged Africans (BLACK people)! We do it because we love them so much !!!!! How could anyone say that we are racist!

Reality: Funny thing, a person on the brink of starving to death is much more concerned with when the next food truck is coming in than they are with history, and they will get baptized as many times as it takes to find out so they can be at the head of line. If church ABCXYZ has a truck coming in first, they will get baptized over there, but do not worry, when the MORmON relief truck comes they will get baptized back into the MORmON religion, again. It suits LD$ Inc PR because they will count it as another MORmON conversion every time the manipulated third worlder rejoins the MORmON church.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 02:25PM

Jehovah witness are growing fast in Africa, so are Seventh Day Adventists. In fact much faster and more active than LDS! When you have nothing a church any church gives you hope about reaching out of poverty!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 02:39PM

Things apparently run a lot 'looser' in 2nd and 3rd world countries...

I just read in an Angola mishie's blog where he was teaching a lady who lives with a member and the member is trying to find all his necessary paperwork so he can marry his girlfriend, so she can be baptized.

An alternative is for her to move to another location so that she's just a 'single mom', then they can baptize her if she can go two weeks without sex! Of course once they baptize her, they do not give a rat's ass what she and her member boyfriend do...

This same Elder mentioned seeing a member he'd worked with in another area now serving a mission. It's my understanding that the church (or someone) pays these same-country member kids a monthly stipend during their service and that it's often more than they'll ever make in their lives.

I think it was in the Cambodia mission where I read a lady mishie blog in which she commented on this fact after tracting out a girl who'd just gotten off her in-country mission and was no longer interested in being a mormon.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 03:00PM

In South Africa, there are countless kids (from literally BIRTH, through teen years) who are, essentially, without adult resources to get food, clothing, shelter, etc. (because their parents, and principally their mother, died from AIDS or was killed in some other way, and their grandparents similarly). Many kids become the "responsible adult" in their families before they qualify to go to kindergarten (which, realistically, they will probably never go to either because they can't afford the required uniforms to go there).

Most of the time, they start selling their bodies for a meal at the local truck stop (if they are near enough to one to walk there), or just to whoever happens by and has the money to buy them SOMETHING to eat, even if it is just mealies (cornmeal mush).

If they are offered ANY kind of food, or means to get food, or a shirt or a pair of pants or shoes, they will get baptized as many times as is necessary to get what is needed to survive, not only for themselves, but for their siblings (and often for their grandparents, and their ill or injured parents, as well).

The last thing in the world they care about is "racist doctrines," because they are starving to death, or are in danger of dying from exposure, or of dying from any of the sources of death (including murder) which are all around them, all of the time.

South Africa (and much of the rest of sub-Saharan Africa, very probably) could be the LDS richest source of "new member" numbers, if LDS missionaries would just start handing out any kind of food (even for one meal) at all...and BOTH "sides" would benefit in the ways that counted the most to each of them.

P.S. For these countless kids, "hitting the jackpot" is connecting with a white "benefactor"...because white "benefactors" usually take them to a motel and get them washed and shampooed before the rest commences. For those kids, who have never used a flush toilet in their lives, this is the closest to "heaven" that they can imagine ever getting to.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2015 03:08PM by tevai.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 03:06PM

If I were starving right now, I would eat a Mormon sandwich. Even knowing all that I know about Mormonism and its many snares.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 03:09PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I were starving right now, I would eat a Mormon
> sandwich. Even knowing all that I know about
> Mormonism and its many snares.

Yes...and I would too...

Thanks, Don!

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 04:44PM

I think that the whole LDS African missionary effort came against the LDS church's own will and doctrine.

The white LDS leaders expected Mormon Christ to return and negroes to remain disadvantaged because of their less valiancy.

Well society has moved on so much ( and no return of Mormon Jesus) that LDS leaders have been forced to embrace Negro conversions and pretend they wanted it and had it in mind all along but were just waiting for Jehovah to give the ok and permission.

During my 2005 - 2007 LDS experience, I saw mostly African Asylum seekers joining the LDS church and it wasn't because they believed Joseph Smith. They just couldn't help accepting what seemed like help and what looked like just an ordinary Christian church (milk before meat).

There was one occasion where an asylum seeker's application was rejected and he was ordered back home to Africa. He went on the run instead and got arrested, detained and awaiting deportation. He asked the ward bishop to fund him bail so he could come out of detention while awaiting deportation, but the ward bishop feared he would go on the run again and lose the church the bail money.

At the end of the day, it's about survival and a better future and asylum seekers (Africans or others) will do what they can for a better life and I would too if I had the courage or desperation like them.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 01:06AM

For those desirous to understand the mind of God, pre-1978...

https://www.google.com/#q=Alvin+R.+Dyer%2C+Fence+Sitters%2C+blacks%2C+curse

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 04:53PM

I read about something similar in Mongolia. Loads of locals have served missions but now a majority are inactive. They even had to bring in a missionary couple to try to reactivate them!

Posted by: Black Grape ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 07:04PM

What does the church get out of this? Except for numbers the converts prob don't contribute anything to tithing. Are they hoping the economies improve and they eventually get a return on their investment or is this strictly a humanitarian move?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 07:29PM

I know we are not allowed to say anything good about the church here, but.....

Regardless of the church's history, or doctrine or motivations, if more of the people in Africa who are raping and fighting and hacking off arms would adopt the LDS lifestyle, it would be a good thing. If the only way to get people to not behave like animals is a false religion, I say go for it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 07:40PM

One response to your proposition is that the people likely to join the church are the ones most likely to be victims of the atrocities, as opposed to perpetrators. Thus they, the converts, caught in the path of the naughty people, would suffer whether or not they were mormon.

The church likely has zero influence on those who are committing the atrocities, and thus the church has zero influence with regard to stopping said atrocities. The naughty people are not likely to spare mormons simply because they are mormons. So it's possible there is no relevance to the point you raise.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 08:29PM

Free Man Wrote:
> if more of the people in Africa who
> are raping and fighting and hacking off arms would
> adopt the LDS lifestyle, it would be a good thing.
> If the only way to get people to not behave
> like animals is a false religion, I say go for it.

After 4,000 years, such aboriginal behavior seems quite unchanged. Savagery promises to continue down there as long as Earth spins.

So have a go COJCOLDS... and dream on.

Posted by: heat27 ( )
Date: October 10, 2015 09:47PM

LOL I would eat a Mormon sandwich too

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 08:23AM

"LOL I would eat a Mormon sandwich too"

I wouldn't---if it was jell-o with shredded carrots on whole wheat. :-)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 02:50AM

But remember in order for these destitute people to legitimately observe a proper official fasting period, they must have some food present that is NOT eaten and likely wasted in order to please MORmON Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTRpeHuu900

Posted by: Not so big ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 04:19AM

The Kenyan General Authority said that black Africans "are aware" of the priesthood-ban and they don't care.

FACT: 98 per cent of black Africans are NOT AWARE of the priesthood-ban nor the Curse of Cain Doctrine (especially). Only some educated ones with internet access are aware of it.

koriwhore Wrote:
> http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/3048090-155/
> africas-mormons-more-concerned-about-future

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 11:50AM

When I was there, my driver had never heard of Mormonism. White shirts and ties, bicycles? He had no idea what I was talking about. So, I guess by default, no the Kenyans don't care, and don't know either.

It was really cool to be in a part of the world that knew nothing of joe's legacy.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 07:41AM

I doubt they are even aware of the racist doctrines. Missionaries don't exactly lead with polygamy and priesthood bans. I am a hardcore feminist and they were able to snow me into overlooking polygamy for months. And I have ready access to the internet and libraries, unlike many sub-Saharan Africans.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 11, 2015 09:30PM

Why expect missionaries to be more honest in Africa than they are in America.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.