Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: long time no see ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:49AM

I've been thinking (and crying) about the fact that when my siblings get married in the future, I won't be able to be there because I'm no longer a Mormon. And now I'm wondering, are Mormon funerals the same way? Are there "special" funeral ceremonies that non-Mormons can't go to, or is it pretty much like any funeral? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 02:53AM

Funerals are held in the ward houses, not the temples.

Posted by: long time no see ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:01AM

I see. I just had a momentary freakout moment because the thought occurred to me that if Mormon funerals are exclusive then I wouldn't even be allowed at my own mother's funeral, which would destroy me. Thanks. :)

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 10:30AM

I know of one case where a dying older woman made her bishop promise to make her funeral a recommend-only function. You know--to teach backsliding family members a "valuable" lesson. After she died, the bishop posted sentries around the building and denied entry to anyone, even family members, who did not have a temple recommend.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 03:40AM

No problem. :)

And as far as your siblings getting married, truth be told, Mormons weddings, or more accurately, sealing, are just boring.

It is nothing like a normal wedding. Nothing

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 09:51AM

The trouble is they target and preach at non-believers trying to guilt them into joining or rejoining the Mormon church.

After my mother's funeral, a cousin contacted me and other siblings in an attempt to do missionary work for her church. She turned out to be an elder missionary. Attending funerals and taking down contact information is one way she targets possible reactivation and investigator possibilities.

I was sad to find out she only wanted to renew contact with me as a missionary goal. When I mentioned this possibility she accused me of being offended but didn't deny the implications.

Posted by: danielson ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 10:48AM

Mormon funerals do not require a temple recommend, but be prepared for the presiding bishop to give a blowhardy talk/lesson at the end. They never miss a chance to shove their doctrine down people's throats.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:09AM

I do know of one family who kicked out the "unworthies" when they put the veil on and closed the casket. I do not believe that is church policy, it was their call.

As far as the actual funeral, you will be allowed at the whole boring thing. Until I got past it, I never realized how awful mormon funerals are. It is all about the church and the body. Very little about the person who occupied that formaldehyde-filled, wax covered, cult clothed body for decades.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 11:34AM

It really depends on the bishop who presiding over the funeral. He can control who speaks who is present etc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 14, 2015 01:10PM

Demon of Kolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It really depends on the bishop who presiding over
> the funeral. He can control who speaks who is
> present etc.

Exactly! They are generally open to the public. There is often a service in the Ward house and a dedication service for the grave which follows. Some attend only one. There is often a luncheon or reception also after both services.

Bishops, in my view, and experience, are learning to be more sensitive to the people who attend that are not LDS and be more respectful than some have been in the past.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.