Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 08:37PM

...yep...the 8 years (Age of Accountability) doesn't cut it.

I had no clue as to what I was doing or saying in the Bishops baptismal interview.

A) you can't vote at 8 yrs.
B) you can't serve in the military.
C) You can't drink.
D) You can't drive.
E) You can't form contracts/companies.
F) You can't operate heavy machinery.
G) You can't buy firearms.
H) You can't hold an elected office.
I) You can't buy liquor.
J) You can't be considered competent.

...fill in the others.

To me, this is just another smoking gun as to why the Church is bogus. There is no way in Hell you could consider a kid of 8 as being "Accountable."

Total BS crap..............

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:04PM

A M E N

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 09:06PM

I was only 17 when I joined as a convert. I guess I wasn't quite legal yet either.

What sort of questions do they ask an 8-year-old before they're baptized? Do they actually ask them if they believe Joseph Smith was a prophet and stuff like that?

Do they even know what a prophet is?

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 10:24PM

...sure. They heard from some other guy, that this other guy had heard that this other guy had supernatural talents...........so, yeah, why not?

I was only eight...what's your excuse?

"Can I have my CTR Ring now?"

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 24, 2015 11:18PM

This was a big shelf item for me.

So, you're telling me that I have all the faculties to join this church at age 8, but cannot resign until I'm 18?

That's bs.

Posted by: Blakballoon ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 12:42AM

I remember when my eldest son was baptised. We were pretty slack at teaching them about the gospel, so I worded him up in the car on the way to church prior to the interview. Like a typical 8yo it meant little. The bishop asked him about Jesus and son said "you mean that dude that died" I was so embarrassed.

So are you saying that I can't have his name removed from the records of the church, even tho he is still a minor?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 12:56AM

If your parents signed you up as a member of LDS Inc, the courts couldn't care less whether you understood what that meant or whether you were accountable, or whether you agreed with their decision. All the courts care about was whether the person who signed the baptism application was your parent or guardian.

You don't have to understand what is going on at all. Parents in the US usually sign their children up for SS accounts at birth, and the infant has no clue what that's about. Children enrolled in grade school aren't giving informed consent (or even uninformed consent for that matter) to the enrollment. Parents have the total right to make that decision for their child.

It's not that complicated. You may not be happy that your parents saddled you with an LDS membership, but they are legally within their rights to do so. Your unhappiness with the decision does not terminate the membership. Your resignation does.

Unless and until someone gets one judge to agree with your reasoning, that is the current situation.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 07:26AM

Once someone is an adult, they have a right to simply walk away with no attached strings.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 02:17AM

There are examples of people who have graduated from medical
school as MDs who were not allowed to practice medicine because
they were not 21 yet.

You can't get married even WITH parental consent at 8.

You can't decide where you will live at 8.

You can't decide whether or not you will attend school at 8.

You can't choose to have or not have a medical procedure at age 8.

You can't even choose your own bedtime at age 8.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 07:34AM

about committing to their church for life. That's nonsense.

Eight year olds are smart but they have very little life experience or maturity.

Parents get to say what church kids will join or attend. They don't get to determine if they stay in that church as adults.

Church is optional in the US. Anyone can join or quit any church at any time. The law doesn't require letters of resignation to leave.

Adults who join can walk away as quickly as a someone who was dunked at age eight, but I have special sympathies for BICs since I was one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 11:55AM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.