Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 11:19PM

He's going through a really tough time. He's depressed, ill, and divorced and having problems with money, work, and life. A car recently fell on him during a repair at home. He was alone without his cell phone and was stuck under the car for a day.

He is still TBM and it pains me to no end. I have a fantasy that for whatever reason he finds this post. I've tried my best to share the dangers of LDS fundamentalism, but he just pushes me away. There will be no question of who I am because he gave me my name.

Dear Bro,

It is not you. You are giving, loving, and kind, and always strive to help anyone that asks of your time and talents. You are a loving father, capable businessman, and the best big brother this little fuds could ever ask for. It is not you.

I just want to be like you and I cherish(ed) everything you left me. Your trumpet, honda accord, table saw, and the bug you helped me fix up to drive across country. Hell, even the sports I play are because you showed me how. I play with my kids the way you played with me our whole lives. Please consider my message as one of love. It is not you.

The guilt, fear, and pain you face is fabricated by the very institution you hold dear. This institution is not real. It is as fictitious as the DNA of lamanites, Egyptian papyrus, and seer stone dug from a well. It is manufactured by humans to gain dominion and power. It is authority. It robs goodness and sells it back for 10%.

Please come stay with me. You can be whomever you choose: Mormon, brother, father, couch potato, friend, foe, or ANYTHING. It is not you.

Fuds

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 11:43PM

If you emailed it to him, what are pluses and the minuses?

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: October 27, 2015 11:57PM

The pluses are all obvious. The minuses are that he reports my letter to the family TBM guard and I lose all communication and access. Its a classic double bind.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 12:27PM

Then send him the letter without the leaving mormonism message. Just help him to recognize the good man that he is. Reassure him that everyone goes through tough times, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I suspect that he is so far down that all he can do is hold even tighter to what he knows--mormonism.

Tell him your offer is good for as long as he wants and that it will be without any strings.

You may have to be offering your support for awhile (without talking against mormonism) before he will feel that he can accept it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2015 01:59PM

I wonder if he'd be tempted to see himself as Job, and you as part of satan's plan to make him deny ghawd?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.