Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:01AM

I just found this quote interesting... MY brother in law shared it the other day on facebook *gags*

"We should remember that most typically revelations are “conclusions” and not “explanations.” When we receive revelation for ourselves, we discover what God would have us do. He rarely provides a reason for why we should do what was revealed. Rather, He trusts us to be obedient to the revelation He has given us."

So apparently god gives humans a rational demanding mind then expects us to totally ignore our instincts just to "obey" blindly.

I thought according to mormonism we were sent here to learn, grow, question, experience life, face trials, but most importantly improve.
Yet now gods prophets are saying to not expect reasons, not expect explanations, just do as your told and bury your head in the sand.

Wheres the learning and growth in that? I may as well have never came to this planet if all i would do here is blindly follow.

In mormonism this quote seems problematic, outside of mormonsim, its totally batshit crazy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:33AM

An argument could be made (but goodness, not by me!) that we were sent here only to 'prove' ourselves. And Bednar seems to believe that doing what you are told, even if you don't know why, is how you do that. I'm not sure Bednar and I would get along.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:17AM

He strikes me as a slimebag and a predator.

As for unquestioning obedience, well, my mother was every bit as determined as the Pickle Man to convince me of the truth of THAT doctrine, and I haven't bought into it YET.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:39AM

Well, I never had the problem of wanting an explanation for God's revelations to me. God didn't give me answers.

Once I realized I wasn't going to get answers (finally in my mid-30s), I moved on to plan B which was to find my own answers. And boy, did I find answers.

What kills me about that Bednar quote is the assumption that God actually gives people personal answers that they don't agree with or understand. Is he just trying to make normal people think they must not be spiritual enough to get the answers? Is this an 'emperor's new clothes' situation?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:21AM

I was thinking the same thing. If God has something to say or direction to give that's great! But I've been asking and waiting for a long time as well, and I am getting tired. I've gone down many dead ends in my life that should have been avoided I think? And the funny thing is that the mormon hierarchy keep teaching that god is going to direct their lives into prosperity. If by luck you end up prosperous then it's evidence of "god at the helm". If your like me and are disappointed and disturbed by what's happened in this world, then your a sinner, supposedly, I guess??

"I would like to suggest that each of you participate in a spiritual exercise ... ask the Lord the following question: “What is keeping me from progressing?” In other words: “What lack I yet?” Then wait quietly for a response. If you are sincere, the answer will soon become clear. It will be revelation intended just for you."
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/what-lack-i-yet?lang=eng

Don't you feel better after reading this?

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 01:44AM

The blind obedience of Mormonism was supposedly Satan's plan.

Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:08PM

Damn right. You'd think that would compute in the most staunch TBM minds?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 02:54AM

Imagine if I parented my children the way God supposedly parents us:

I'd tell them to talk to me morning and night, and before every meal.

I'd ignore them most of the time they tried to talk to me, and either not answer, make them beg before I'd answer, or I'd answer so quietly they couldn't hear. Or I'd give a cryptic answer they couldn't understand, and then the next day I'd give them a different answer. Or I'd tell someone else to tell them what I wanted them to do, but I'd tell those people conflicting things. And I'd blame them, and disinherit them if they didn't get the messages I sent them.

But with some of my kids, I'd do all the thinking for them. I'd tell them who to marry, what to major in, what job to take, where the car keys were, and which house to buy. And I'd also tell them what OTHER people should be doing, too.

How do you think my kids would turn out?

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:38AM

Great analogy.
And if the leaders of Mormon Inc. ask you to do something, don't ask for a reason either.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:55AM

Where's the value in blind faith and obedience ? And WHY is it considered a virtue in Mormonism (and in religion in general)? God would be considered one of the worst parents if he was human yet humans extol the very characteristics of bad parenting if it's from God.

One of the basic principles of good parenting is to teach and explain to children WHY they should or shouldn't do something. You tell them WHY they shouldn't cross the street without looking both ways. You tell them WHY they should be nice to others. You tell them WHY they should be quiet in certain places or at certain times. You tell them WHY they should eat their vegetables and avoid sugar. You tell them WHY you shouldn't they shouldn't try and pet a stray animal. You tell them WHY they should be kind to disabled children. You tell them WHY they should study hard, get good grades and go to college. It's the bad parent who just tells their "because I said so!!"

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 09:59AM

Never worry about reasons why. If God commands to cut the head off a drunk person and steal his property that is all you need to know.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: October 29, 2015 12:43PM

Blindly obeying priesthood leaders is what brought about the Moutain Medows Massacre and similar atrocities in Mormon history.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.