Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 12:35PM

Sorry if old news:

Best quote: "I hope it will help you understand how completely linked our theology is to the traditional family.

Society, law and popular opinion may change, but we know that society’s version of the family cannot and will not substitute for God’s purpose and plan for his children."

Hmmmm...no mention of either D&C 132 *or* the Manifesto.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865640015/LDS-doctrine-completely-linked-to-traditional-family-Elder-M-Russell-Ballard-tells-World.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 01:34PM

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 01:37PM

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 01:39PM

...it's just on the back burner waiting for the pasta to finish cooking so it can be moved back up the big burner and come to a full boil again!

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 01:45PM

Once again, Ballard is NOT being honest with his fellowman, i.e. THE WORLD.

Temple Recommend: D-E-N-I-E-D.

Mormon Theology is linked to Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and all the early prophets of TSCC. Polygamy was essential, and in BY's time, it was an integral part of the theology. That was God's purpose for the 'then' Plan of Happiness which was the foundation of Mormonism.

I get so sick of these old geezers in the Q12 trying to rewrite history in the name of: "Please world...please like us...please love us...please except us...please oh pretty please!

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:15PM

Please refresh my memory... Is there any other place in the BOM/scriptures that lays out "eternal families" other than D&C 132?

If that specific scripture is THE one that originated the idea of eternal families, and TSCC is hinging everything on it, they will never escape from polygamy. Polygamy and women treated as chattel is so intertwined and embedded within the concept of "eternal marriage" in D&C 132; it can't be untangled.

It shouldn't be hard to point people to the actual scripture that outlines the Mormon concept of eternal families. And it shouldn't be hard for people to understand, then, exactly what TSCC is all about.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:23PM

132 is the only place about plural marriage (as doctrine) There are helpful antidotes by Paul and Solomon about loving your wife, wives respect your husbands, don't be too hard on your kids etc. But this "focus on the family" (gag) is not scriptoral. Jesus was a personal prophet, He was about the individual, seeking your own path to heaven. This Family-Family-Family is off the mark.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 02:42PM

Funny thing about D&C 132 is that it's very forceful (and led BY and others to be very forceful) about multi-wives to be the ONLY way into Heaven; and despite what the essay says, it's pretty detailed about how and why to do it.

TBM's are led to believe that the two 1890's manifestos are revelations, but I'm sure 99% have never read them; they almost literally say: "Polygamous marriages? You heard what? Nah, we don't do that, that's just people talkin'"

Unless I read a different version, that's about it; no booming voice of God commanding anyone to knock it off, no "Thus sayeth the Lord", none of that crap.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 03:28PM

Yep. And D&C 132 is also the doctrine that discusses becoming gods. What a controversial scripture for TSCC to hang its hat on! Who needs essays... just read section 132 of the D&C. It's all right there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.