Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 01:54AM

Hey, has anyone here gotten the Mormon family email asking everyone to fast for so and so (family member)? If so, how have you responded? I'm looking for a polite diplomatic suggestion.

I so far have this: I'm sorry to hear about x. I won't be fasting, as that doesn't make snse to me - but 'll say a prayer for (him/her)

So I guess by not eating, people are more focused on the person who is suffering by joining them in suffering. But does that really make sense? I suppose it might.

Mormons say they fast one Sunday a month to give the meal money they would normally spend to the poor. Is that how the Bible referred to fasting? The only real fasting I recall in the NT at least was Jesus fasting for 40 days and nights. I don't think he did it to give his food money to the less fortunate, though.

So why did he fast? Any special reason? I mean, was it because he was in the wilderness and there wasn't food readily available there? Was it because he knew he was going to be killed soon, so he thought "If I starve myself, I might die before they can kill me..." ???? Really, I'm not being funny, just wondering - Mormons make it all out to be so very spiritual but what if it wasn't? (This is all assuming there was a Jesus and he somehow managed to stay alive after not eating or drinking for 40 days.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 02:17AM

There was a time when my TBM uncle started forwarding the entire family E-mail list anti-gay, TSCC religious stuff and random anti-immigration things. It went on for about a month until I got fed up.

I wrote back cc: everyone, demanding him to stop as I found them extremely offensive.

Several other people chimed in most of whom I don't know. That was the last time anyone sent me one of those (other than my parents who have no respect).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 09:52AM

Assuming that the fast is for a medical issue, or another important event, I would just respond, "[Name] will be in my thoughts. I hope that everything goes well and that he/she has a quick recovery." You can substitute "prayers" for "thoughts" if you wish.

I do not believe in fasting unless I must do so on doctor's orders. I would just ignore the fasting part of the request.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 10:01AM

I fast only for medical reasons...PERIOD!

RB

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 10:26AM

I never understood the idea of fasting. If you go Biblical, in 2 Samuel 15-22 there is a story about David fasting and praying for a sick baby that ends up dying. He goes home and eats. It ends with he said "Who knows? Maybe the Lord will feel sorry for me and let the baby live. But now that the baby is dead, why should I go without food?"

It's basically the idea of a child that wants their way getting down and throwing a tantrum, hoping their parents will give in to what they want. Do you think parents are more likely to give in to a child because they throw a tantrum? It usually means just the opposite, that the parents are more determined not to give in. Tell them you feel the same way about fasting, that it will just make God more determined to not give into their demands.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 12:00PM

"Fasting" puts you in a weakened mental/physical state, where you're more susceptible to peer pressure, suggestion, strange mental episodes like hallucinations, etc. It's been associated with being "spiritual" because of the weakened mental state, especially when "fasting" for more than a day or two.

In mormon terms, it's usually asked "for someone" as a "sacrifice," sort of an old-testament kind of deal, where "god" is supposedly more likely to grant some miracle if you make a sacrifice to it, in this case giving up food to show you really, really want the "miracle." Of course, it doesn't work...just like asking a whole bunch of people to "pray" for someone doesn't do anything (the idea being that the more people who ask "god" for something, the more likely "god" is to grant it).

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 03:32PM

I do not understand why they call it fast Sunday when it is undoubtedly the slowest day of the month!

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 03:49PM

My take on this issue:
Personally, I never got anything out of fasting but hunger and a headache. We never really required it of our kids, either, as (I thought) it was asking too much of them, and--at least for most of us--didn't seem to achieve anything positive.

As far as Jesus' 40 days fast goes:

First of all, Biblical speaking, "40" (years,hours, etc.) is actually not "40" in "real" time. Instead, it stands for an unknown (or unstated) period of time.

Hence, Jesus fasted and prayed for an unknown period of time (thus the "40" figure was written for this). His purpose in fasting was to find out for himself if he really was the Savior, as he had gradually come to believe of himself--a self-discovery conclusion as to what his real mission on earth was.

During this period of time, you may remember, Jesus was tempted by Satan to doubt himself and his calling. Satan offered to give Jesus all the worldly pleasures if he followed himself, instead of God. It was Jesus' choice to make (with his free agency). This is important to understand--Jesus wasn't forced to give his life, he volunteered for the job.

Happily, for the Christian world--and the world in general--Jesus chose to fulfill his purpose, and do God's bidding.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:34PM

fasting provides no spiritual benefit if you double up on your next meal.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:40PM

"Mormons say they fast one Sunday a month to give the meal money they would normally spend to the poor." - if you want to call building a MEGA CULT MALL giving to the poor, go ahead, but you are sadly living a delusion. Tell the people to leave you alone, to FUCK OFF AND DIE and take their SATANIC CULT with them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:57PM

How about, "Oh my, I hope the situation resolves itself! I will dedicate my next Fast to poor Shummy!"

You see, I Fast between meals...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 05:05PM

I want to add, that for me, it was a very freeing thing to come to the decision that I don't believe in fasting and that I would never do it again unless necessary for a medical test (or if I am too sick to ingest food.) Growing up Catholic, we were expected to fast on Sundays before we took communion. It was meant to prepare us to receive the Eucharist. All I ever remember was hunger on those Sundays. It didn't make me feel particularly spiritual.

And some people fast for health reasons. I decided that I never wanted to treat my body that way. In my opinion, humans were meant to eat at regular intervals.

Thinking things through and coming to a reasonable decision is a very empowering thing. It is okay to come to the decision, "I don't believe in that" with regard to issues that only impact you.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 08:36PM

verilyverily suggested,
"Mormons say they fast one Sunday a month to give the meal money they would normally spend to the poor. - if you want to call building a MEGA CULT MALL giving to the poor, go ahead, but you are sadly living a delusion. Tell the people to leave you alone, to FUCK OFF AND DIE and take their SATANIC CULT with them."

But, verilyverily,...how do you REALLY feel?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.