Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 11:43PM

I have a question. I know Mormons believe in the "burning in the bosom" to verify that TSCC is true, but do they ever use the same kind of idea to say God communicated other things to them?

I'm wondering, because in my churches, we'd seek for God's guidance in lots of situations, and try to verify the answer by how we felt God was communicating to us about it...

I knew a woman who felt God told her not to seek regular medical treatment for her ovarian cancer, to go with holistic healing. I have no doubt she really believed God told her this, but she did pass away.

Do Mormons do tbis kind of stuff, too? Like pray about who they should marry, and seek a feeling from God to guide them in stuff like this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2015 11:45PM by KiNeverMo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 11:58PM

In mormonism, anyone can turn to ghawd for information and guidance regarding those things in his/her life over which the person is 'in charge.'

So when at age nine, our kite string broke and DonnaLyn said we should kneel and pray for ghawd's help in finding it, we were entitled to that help.

A Sunday school teacher can ask for help in solving problems in his/her Sunday school class, and on up the food chain, til you get to the Cabeza Honcho, Tommy Monson. He's the only one to whom ghawd will listen in terms of getting guidance for the church.

The fun starts when one person gets a revelation involving another person who isn't quite in the food chain. Notoriously it's in the romance department... The front desk secretary was a very nice young lady/sweet spirit whom no one asked to marry before her 21st birthday, so since she was an old maid, she went on a mission. She blossomed in her late 20s and got engaged, but then up popped a guy from her past, who told her he'd received a revelation that the two of them were to be married. It became a minor sensation when he began showing up at the school, attempting to convince her of the authenticity of his revelation. It was explained to us that if it really was from ghawd, they both would have had heartburn.

Probably all churches have the problem of someone not in authority getting revelation for the entire church. And because of some of the bible stories, they can make claims that they were called of ghawd to give prophetic warning to a church gone astray.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:56AM

YES they most certainly do!!

My bat shit crazy TBM ex-wife fully believes god told her to divorce me after 18yrs of marriage because I no longer believed in mormonism (had stopped going to church 6 years prior).

Then, as if that weren't crazy enough, she met a divorced new convert 2yrs after our divorce was final, got engaged 3 months later and married 2 months after that....All because god told her to. Oh, and then she had his baby 10 months after the wedding....

So yes, there are some (I'm sure not all) in mormonism who literally believe god talks to them in some form or fashion.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 11:40AM

Oh yes. Many Mormons think that if they feel strongly about something, God is telling them that's the course of action they should take.

Typical scenarios would be people who think they should marry a certain person (even if they aren't dating, and yes, that happened with a number of my roommates who obsessed for years about certain guys because of their 'revelation'). I've also seen it applied to accepting or rejecting job offers, having more children, or handing over their money to risky investments.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 05:23PM

My TBM dad used to use the phrase"....and the lord told me...." or "....I asked god and he said...." when he was trying to talk churchy wisdom stuff with me, trying to demonstrate his magical powers.

One day he said it and I stopped him and said....."you just said 'the lord told you'...what did he say, what did it sound like, describe that experience to me."

He got his usual deer in the headlights look that he got every time I challenged his mormon stuff with logic....he stammered a bit....and in the end, it was all just a feeling he had which he interprets as the lord telling him something.

Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 06:35PM

Yes they do like many other religions.

They have personal fuzzies that they interpret to be God's intervention/answer/favor.

They have all kinds of excuses when the outcome is not so good (God is testing me, God has his reasons, we don't understand God's ways, etc.).

The less creative among them depend on others to tell them what God thinks and wants.

No book or preacher has any actual knowledge about God more than anyone else. If they did, they wouldn't be telling everyone to have "faith" to believe what they say about God.

Like most religions, Mormons are adept at attributing any HIT to God, and any MISS to us lousy humans. God always gets the credit, never the blame.

For the most part, when someone says that God told them something, what they are trying to do is use God to validate their own decisions. They feel so special!

A quote from Ambrose Bierce that sums up the issue:

Pray- To ask the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 06:58PM

NO HE DIDN'T!

RB

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:05PM

I know some crazies that believe God actually speaks to them, gives them detailed messages, etc..., but most follow this:

D&C 9:8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

Mormons think things through, make a decision, pray about it, feel good about it, and take it as an answer to prayer. Of course, most people feel good about the decisions they've already made.

In the case of gettinreal's wife, I would assume that she didn't think God spoke to her. She probably wanted a TBM spouse, thought a lot about divorce, decided to go through with it, THEN prayed and answered her own prayer, assuming from then on that she had god's blessing, etc... It's confirmation bias.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:19PM

I believe God talks to each of us, we just don't always understand the message.

God has such a sense of humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 07:19PM by tumwater.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 07:55PM

is the worst. I don't care what someone calls himself--prophet, general authority, quorum president--I don't believe he's been told a damn thing by a damn spirit.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 08:12PM

Caught on video- "God" really talking to a prophet. actual revelation being given to Warren Jeffs. It confuses me because he is claiming God is "dictating", that JeFfs is not a prophet, he is a liar...which logically doesn't make sense then to receive the "revelation".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj8Qxe9QsWI

His poor followers, imagine the "mind f$&?!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 08:12PM by orthus.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:58PM

Mormonism does it all the time but they don't like to say the
word "God." They follow the BOM and say "the Spirit told me."
This is the same "Spirit" that told Nephi to murder Laban.

Date: November 04, 2015 11:19PM

Thanks for the replies! I had thought so, but I wasn't sure.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 01:04AM

When I was a teenager my mother told me that God would tell her everything I was doing when I was away from home.

Silly woman. Of course I had to put that one to the test. Guess what? God wasn't telling her anything. In fact, he was quite good at keeping his mouth shut.

Date: November 05, 2015 08:51AM

Hahahahaha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.