Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: feijoada ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 01:32AM

I know quite little about gay issues, but recent changes in LDS policy toward gay family units has me puzzled. Kimball was forced to change policy against blacks for unfair, if not unlawful, discrimination. Will forced "revelation" soon happen to correct what appears to be unfair discrimination against certain children and their parents? Is not same-sex marriage legal?

But why should anyone be disappointed that fewer children will be forced into Mormonism like I was?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 04:49AM

Read the posts from the last three days and you will understand the many reasons how this will affect members, non-members, gay, straight, children, grand-parents, blended families, suicide rates, legal complications-custody, visitation...

Read the precise wording in the church policy about children being forced to "disavow" their gay parent, live elsewhere... unbelievable.

Posted by: newtoutah ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 08:29AM

Doesn't it all boil down to desiring to baptize 8-year-olds?
But, frankly, if LDS waited until adulthood (18) they would lose too many.
Ensnaring children is what this is all about.
It really looks like the leadership didn't think it through past that point.
Their decision elevated one sin above all others.
It also extended punishment for that one sin beyond what Jesus said.
They (homosexuals) sin against their OWN bodies, not against the bodies of their children or step-children.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 08:42AM

To address feijoada's question, religions are not required by law to not discriminate. The are exempt. The reason the morg changed their position on blacks in 1978 was due to social pressure, not anti-discrimination laws. If they chose to continue to deny blacks the preisthood, they could do this now regardless of the law. Only social pressure from outside and within the church will cause them to change their position regarding same sex marriage. The reality is, unfortunately, religion is above the law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 08:44AM by canadianfriend.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 09:43AM

I'm no lawyer but I always thought that a religion in America had to be open to the public, not private, and not discriminate based on color or race to have protection as a religion and receive the special tax breaks. This hole gay issue is new to politics and will take time to sort out what their rights are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.