Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 11:46AM

I am not on Facebook much, but I'm off work today, so I logged in. I checked a friend's page and then followed a link to a page of one of her friends (well, a "friend" who suckered her into a MLM scheme...).

Anyway, my friend's friend is a TBM, and I thought this was an interesting comment she'd posted:

"If you need clarification on what's going on in the LDS community about same sex marriage, watch this first before jumping the gun. Seek to UNDERSTAND first. There is a lot of thought and compassion behind it. People who love drama will feed on drama. Be different. If you choose to see with eyes of anger and hostility you will find those things to be angry and hostile about. Search for love and you see that it is about love."

The link she posted is to a video of an Elder Christofferson (sp?) putting the church's new teaching "in context."

I agree there is a far too much drama, jumping the gun, and hate online--it's one reason I'm seldom on FB these days. I also believe that in a free society, churches can and should be able to teach whatever views they want. However, I also think most people understand the LDS church's position well, and that the church has made it clear. I can't see where "thought and compassion" come into it.

Of course, other TBMs are commenting with things like "beautifully said," etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:03PM

OMG... did every TBM get the same direction to give those of us who are "offended" by the leak to gain 'clarification'? To 'understand' first?

There is nothing beautiful about shunning a child. There is nothing loving about withholding 'blessings' from someone who has support and wants those blessings.

But, I agree, there's a lot of drama going on.

Posted by: fischmama4 ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:09PM

Yup, a lot of thought and compassion went into this move, coming from a child who shunned before these "policies" were even on the books. I weep for the children because they will not fare nearly as well as I did in the Church now.

And sorry but I won't apologize for making drama! If they can't handle the heat they need to get out of the kitchen!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 09, 2015 12:35PM

fischmama4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup, a lot of thought and compassion went into
> this move, coming from a child who shunned before
> these "policies" were even on the books. I weep
> for the children because they will not fare nearly
> as well as I did in the Church now.
>
> And sorry but I won't apologize for making drama!
> If they can't handle the heat they need to get out
> of the kitchen!

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone should apologize for "drama" in response to this. Announcing that young children whose parents are in same-sex relationships can't be baptized is quite "dramatic" (a polite word for it) in any case.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.