Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 09:09AM

Is the musical a gentle, sympathetic poking of fun, or is it a real parody? Are TBMs allowed to see it (I guess that's the real tell)?

It's coming to our town and I would love to see it because I've heard it's a great production. But if it's just a vehicle to make people chuckle and love Mormonism despite its little quirks, then forget it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 09:19AM

Although it doesn't have to follow the movie ratings--it is rated Mature.

It's very, very funny and you'll learn to sing along, but it's very offensive to not only Mormons but to Christians also.

Posted by: Ø ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 09:31AM

Not gentle at all. Genuine mockery.

Date: November 16, 2015 09:45AM

Oh good. I'm buying my ticket.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 10:20AM

We already have seats for a performance in Knoxville, TN in the spring. Since this is the Bible belt, and about 25% of the audience walked out of a Rent performance a few years back, wondering if that will be the reaction to this play also. I of course, will return and report.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 10:53AM

Considering there's a whole musical number, 'Joseph Smith American Prophet', which contains just about every word that a mormon would NEVER want to be caught using, it's pretty rough.

And hilarious.

Date: November 16, 2015 11:44AM

Hmmm. I would guess we shouldn't invite our Mormon inlaws to go with us.

Can't wait!

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:35PM

My boyfriend and I are going to see this in January! I'm very excited!

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 05:54PM

I watched the Mormon dream hell part on YouTube, IDK if it's legally up or not. :/

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 03:14AM

it is also VERY raunchy in spots, and genuinely offensive to not only Mormons, but serious Christians as well.

I didn't think that my decade-long (but still believing)inactive DH would be upset by it, but he was FURIOUS.

I could feel him smoldering, in the seat next to me, and felt kind of bummed out because I didn't feel free to laugh at some of the genuinely hilarious spots. Looking back, I wish I had taken my apostate daughter with me. She would have loved it.

And we might both have come home with "Hasa Diga Ebowai" tee shirts. . .

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 04:15AM

I was totally pisst because they were so damn easy on the cult. And, when I read through the program, I noticed an advertisement that stated, "You've seen the Musical, Now read the BOOK!" which was placed by TSSC.

The South Park episode gave away more "secrets." I LOVE South Park...SO not prissy that way. Other than the language and imagery, TBOM is pretty tame. I actually know TBMS who drag their gentile (Hah! Still can't say it with a straight face!) friends to the show and have seen it numerous times...hoping to Move the Spirit of their friends.LOL

I was quite anoyed to pay $200 for decent seating. So, I suppose it is a matter of taste.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.