Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 11:11PM

Reading up on some old family history I came across the story of how my grandfather CE Richardson fabricated the first windmill in Colonia Diaz.

It was said he was so proud of his handiwork that he painted the name Valley Tan on the tailpiece thereby proclaiming to the world Mormon pride in home-made commodities.

In a footnote to the story, my aunt explained his choice of a name thusly:

>"In early Salt Lake Valley history, imported leather was inferior to Valley tanned leather and customers began insisting on buying only goods made from this "valley tanned" leather. The words "valley tanned" came to mean "superior quality".....

Well excuse me, I thought it meant the rot-gut whiskey sold by Brigham Young.

>A locally distilled whiskey bore the name Valley Tan. It was distilled from wheat and potatoes. George Latrop, a driver on the Cheyenne-Blackhills Stage, described it as being, “made of horned toads and Rocky Mountain rattlesnakes.” Mark Twain was quoted as saying, “it is made of imported fire and brimstone.” It was sold in ZCMI along with other liquors to compete with “gentile” stores for much needed cash.

>Valley Tan was the name given to the second established newspaper in Salt Lake in 1858. Kirk Anderson started the paper as an alternative to the predominantly Mormon press. It gave a voice to other residents of the valley, but was seen as widely anti-Mormon. The newspaper explained their choice of title in the first issue on November 6, 1858. “The Valley Tan was first applied to the leather made in this Territory in contradistinction to the imported article from the States: it gradually began to apply to every article made or manufactured or produced in the Territory, and means in the strictest sense Home Manufacturers, until it has entered and become an indispensable word in our Utah vernacular; and it will yet add a new word to the English language. Circumstances and localities form the mint from which our language is coined, and we therefore stamp the name and put it into circulation!”

http://www.utahstories.com/2013/08/valley-tan-a-short-history-of-this-utah-based-phrase/

Has anyone here heard about any of this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 11:56PM

I thought this thread would be about surfers.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:17AM

+1

Date: November 16, 2015 01:48AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought this thread would be about surfers.

Wull I found the referenced info by surfing the internet.

Doesn't that count?

Date: November 16, 2015 02:11AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:39AM

I was certain Mexicans were involved, but not the ones from the mountains...

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 07:29PM

I'm disappointed.

Date: November 16, 2015 01:00AM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:05AM

Well Shumms, I never heard of a valley tan before, but like some of the above, it seems like it should be a microbrew.

Speaking of which, when I was a young TBM, I dated a gal from the 4-corners area. She told me I'd like her grandmother as she was a free spirit. That she was, she bore her testimony to me while drinking a Coors. Never had that happen before, but then again, the Morg didn't emphasis the WoW as much a couple of generations ago.

I enjoy hearing about your history. Boner.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:09AM

In contradistinction to the predictions of the newspaper editor, the term "valley tan" has not been added to the English language. Indeed, I had never heard it until just now, and I am well educated in the language.

Thanks for the story, eod.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:15AM

I hadn't heard of it before.

After reading Beth's take, I wondered if she was referring to Valley girls? They're closer to the surfer scene lol.

One of my kids lives in Japan, and drinks potato whiskey there. It's popular like the rice sake known for Japan.

So Utah had its own brand for the early pioneers. They weren't all teetolers.

My great great grandpa was sent by Brigham to Ogden to be its first tailor, after he arrived from Wales. Salt Lake already had its "quota." So gggrandpa set up shop in Ogden where he employed up to 20 people and sold fine men's suits up and down the Idaho Utah Nevada Wyoming and Montana corridor.

His little tailor shop is in the historical district museum site, along with some of the other early stores of his day. :)

I don't know whether he did any tanning or not. Making men's fine clothing was his specialty.

Edited to add: Shummy, if you are able to please message Susan I/S @ exmolight@gmail.com to exchange e-mail addresses. I wanted to inquire off board about some genealogy links to Utah we may have in common. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 08:08AM by amyjo.

Date: November 16, 2015 10:22AM

So you are saying your g-grandfather was the original Mr Mac of Ogden, amirite Amyjo?

:o)

Sure, I'd be ok with off-screen communication. Let's talk.

Date: November 16, 2015 11:15AM

He moved there around 1862. He was called into action to some of the early militia wars [he was still very young,] then finally settled into his home in Ogden. Gramps was not a polygamist, but his two wives were daughters of polygamists.

He married the second after his first (my gggrandma,) died in childbirth. His mom moved all the way from Wales to live out her golden years with his family in Ogden. Her daughter died on a wagon train going west during part of the journey.

I'm not sure about "Mr. Mac," but he's listed on Utah's Historical Registry for settling the Ogden community. :)

He was quite active in the local drama and theater there, and I've been told by some of my 'apostate' cousins he went inactive toward the latter part of his life after having had his own 'awakening,' or epiphany. :)

Thanks for getting back to my e-mail inquiry. Susan has mine.

Date: November 16, 2015 04:10PM

So no one has heard of this?

How about you Cabbie?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 05:54AM

I have to say I appreciate the courage of those who admitted they hadn't heard of it or other interesting tibits we in the apostate camp hold dear. Over on the latest incarnation of the old FAIR board, they often dis' posters who admit to not having heard of issues such as Joseph Smith's polygamy, Parley P. Pratt's assistance in attempting ot abduct Eleanor Mclean's children, or the one I just saw lately, the Potter-Parrish murders...

I'll make a real effort not to "emulate" their behavior; I think it's counter-productive, and I know the experience of my friends that "caustic ex-mormons" often "kept" people from exiting the church sooner than they might have otherwise.

(apologies; I just got in from saving Zion from the hazards of modern day Valley Tan, and I usually don't post because I'm exhausted and what I write is occasionally illegible and leaves me shaking my head, particularly if the correction period has expired)

Okay, so far so good... I think I first heard about it in reference to Orrin Porter Rockwell. I'm heading downstairs to see if Schindler makes mention of it. I would've read that book around 1983 or so...

Okay, that's not it. Before Harold's death and afterwards when Will Bagley was briefly the historian for the Salt Lake Tribune, there were also so articles that discussed such "interesting" matters. I'll have to look further...

/yawn!

Date: November 16, 2015 07:14PM

https://youtu.be/WZXxIpYlD6g

"Valley Tan was a word used to describe anything made locally in the Salt Lake Valley and in the old days was branded onto everything from tonics to whiskey." (SLC Tribune)

Date: November 17, 2015 12:30AM

Sounds like a catchy name for salons that cater to one's vanity.

Wonder if the sheep would get the joke?

Date: November 18, 2015 09:14AM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a catchy name for salons that cater to
> one's vanity.
>
> Wonder if the sheep would get the joke?

The value's not in the name, but in the association.

Alice Tolkien and Gertrude Stein were careful who they let pass through their Parisian salon in their day. Only poets and artists were admitted. And then from those, they would sift the chaff from the wheat by virtue of their behavior.

The rude and insensitive ones were soon shown the door. Those who stayed in their good graces were because they were both adept and astute at whatever tickled dear old Alice and Gertrude's fancy.

Oh they were a finicky pair.

What's in a name? Whatever value one ascribes to it.

Much like Valley Tan, I suppose.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.