Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 02:30PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:06PM

Sad.

Alas, I'd bet there are more than a few who believe that.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:09PM

What? What did they say when corrected?

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:11PM

"Reality" only exists as we interpret it though our fragile brains with our current operating system.

No two realities are the same so there are as many realities as there are humans.

Question everything and trust no one.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:14PM

I remember telling my grandmother once about adam-god doctrine. Deer in the headlights look. It amazes me how people can be sooo old and live through so many generations and be sooo tbm, always at some church meeting, playing with the girls in relief society (yawn) everyday, all day, and still not know any thing about the church.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:20PM

Most Mormons know very little, if anything, about factual church history. What they do know is, for the most part, pure myth.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:27PM

MORmONS get confused very easily, and honestly, it is a real miracle that some MORmONS were not killed at MMM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5tD5a9k8Wo

Date: November 16, 2015 04:31PM

....it is a real miracle that some MORmONS were not killed at MMM.

Well you can betcher ass that if they'd been in the original assault the Fancher men would have knocked off a few.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 07:16PM

There were likely an unknown number of apostates leaving Utah Territory with the Fancher-Baker train; they'd joined up with them seeking "safety in numbers," and there are stories of some who knew their killers. Blood atonement, most definitely...

As for "how history was taught on Planet Utah well into the 1970's," I have a copy of the textbook, "The Utah Story," written by General Authority Milton R. Hunter. It makes no mention of MMM.

Reading about the unearthing of the Massacre victims' remains in 1999 was what led to my researching the subject and becoming something of an "Internet Expert" on the matter. I knew next to nothing beyond the fact LDS sorts were embarrassed, and I once raised the issue in a teaching cohort paper, using it as a "example" of a "politically loaded issue" that could be problematic.

My teacher, a psych PhD who used to teach junior high history, wondered if I had "heard the story" of how, early in her career, she'd taught at a junior high (near the one I attended) and how explosive it was when a student brought in a report on the subject. I hadn't, but we did visit the massacre site in the early 70's as part of a science field trip.

Will Bagley is "tired to the subject," and really doesn't like having his career as a historian tied to MMM and "Blood of the Prophets," but it is a story that will never die.

And as the recent discovery--of the likely rock cairns that most of the victims were buried beneath--demonstrates, new information is still emerging.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:58PM

They probably confused it with the Haun's Mill Massacre.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 10:10PM

Ewww! I just read about that in Wikipedia. I remember hearing of Haun's Mill, but never read about it.
Horrible. Shooting little boys too.
Well, rather like Mountain Meadows.

And none of the attackers were ever prosecuted. I seem to come across situations like that fairly often as I read about those times (mid-1800's), where the perpetrator is either not prosecuted, or is let go, or escapes. And I'm talking of Mormons as well as those who fought against Mormons.

The Courts and Law Enforcement must have been really poor back then??

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 10:29PM

I grew up on family stories of the Haun's Mill* massacre. Thomas McBride was the grandfather of my polygamous great grammies. My father would describe McBride holding up his hands in surrender only to have his fingers hacked off with a sharp blade as he cried out. Boys were shot dead by bad men, which frightened me when I was little. The devil got up a mob against the saints, etc.

*sometimes spelled "Hawn's."

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 09:44PM

As a Mormon kid growing up in the '50s I remember my Dad's
bookshelf of mostly-Mormon books. One was Juanita Brook's
seminal "The Mountain Meadows Massacre."

Having grown up on story after story of persecution of the poor,
misunderstood, Mormons, I naturally assumed that it had to have
been a massacre OF Mormons by anti-Mormon mobbers.

One day I picked up the book and started skimming through it.
Imagine my shock when it gradually dawned on me that Mormons
were the ones who committed the massacre.

Date: November 16, 2015 10:21PM

baura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine my shock when it gradually dawned on me
> that Mormons were the ones who committed the massacre.

That was the reaction of many TBMs when the book was first published. The Church would have liked to consider it anti-mormon, as they did with Brodie's book, but since it was a scholarly well documented account of what really happened, there wasn't a whole lot they could do about it. It really was the start of non-mythical mormon history telling.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 12:59AM

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 08:16PM

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 01:05AM

How could Mormons get killed at MMM? They stole all of the weapons from the people they killed.....
I assume you are kidding.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:18AM

Its my pet theory that to remain mormon...you simply have to know as little as possible about its founder and origins...besides all the bs since...most who stay are just grateful for the opportunity to remain ignorant...course i was never called to receive those stipends or signing bonuses...im sure that makes it tuffer to be honest about stuff

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 09:56AM

My uber-TBM wife would seem to prove your pet theory to be true. She simply has no interest or curiosity in hearing any reason or explanation from me for WHY her spouse of decades would leave our religion. Very frustrating.

Date: November 18, 2015 07:34PM

In other words, the less one really knows about Mormonism, the easier it is to be a believer. The daughter of a well known former Institute of Religion director warned me to not study myself into disbelief as her father had done.

Perhaps that's the main reason they are sending out missionaries at the tender age of eighteen.

Date: November 18, 2015 07:45PM

Well there was that one dude I recently read about in the Tanner book who sold supplies to the Fanchers and was beaten to death for his trouble.

So do you remember Cabbie that I told you how my g-grandfather wrote in his journal that he also sold salt and grain to the immigrants when they passed through Parowan?

I gotta wonder why he wasn't beaten to death but instead became a stake prez.

You don't think it might have been because he was the profit's nephew do ya?

Date: November 18, 2015 07:57PM

You're absolutely right Templar.

I once asked my aunt why my grandfather fell into inactivity in his final years.

She replied, "Well pa, he just read too much".

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 10:49PM

Bagley gives the following account:

>To reward Leany's hospitality, [William Leaney of Parowan] Dame sent Barney Carter to reprimand him, and Dame's enforcer tore a picket out of Laney's fence and hit him on the side of his head. As one neighbor said, 'The Man has never been of sound mind since." (footnoted)

Bagley, "Blood of the Prophets," p. 115

>Leany's mind was sound enough in 1883 to recall "the day the picket was broke on my head" and a number of deeds of blood and to denounce "mobing, robing, stealing, whoredom, murder, suicide, infanticide, lying, slander, and all wickedness and abominations in Utah's high places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 12:48AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: SweetSpirit ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 11:43PM

The neighbors might have said that he wasn't of sound mind because they didn't like him, or because of all his denouncing. Sounds almost like an exmo.

Also I think he was the twin brother of Isaac, of Haun's mill miracle fame.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 07:59PM

In all fairness, I was probably about 18 in seminary before I had even heard of the MMM. Even then no told me the "whole" story or even the main parts. I had to go to a big city library to see/read anything on it.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 08:07PM

"In other words, the less one really knows about Mormonism, the easier it is to be a believer. " - So True! Pathetic isn't it?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.