Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soulsearcher ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 02:58PM

My husband and I tried to resign by email found on this site (confidential records) stating no contact wanted.

He (my name not mentioned) just received a letter stating that this is an ecclesiastical matter, and he will be contacted by the local bishop.

We haven't been active for years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 02:59PM

Actually, now that you received confirmation that they got your email, you're out! What they do next is immaterial. That's the law.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 02:59PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 03:28PM

They always do that, regardless of your stated wishes. The cases where this doesn't happen are few and far between. It is the first step in their paperwork process. Whether or not the "local bishop" actually contacts you or not, is up to him

As Devoted Exmo stated, per the law, you are officially no longer a member. They may do their own internal paperwork, but as far as you are concerned you are no longer a member.

Should a Bishop or other representative from the church, you can meet with them or not, it is up to you (I suggest not, just keep repeating "Process the paperwork, I have no desire to discuss anything with you"). Regardless of whether you do or not, you will get another letter in any where from weeks to a couple months stating that you are out, meaning that they have completed their internal paperwork for you.

It's all just busy work for them and to make the bishop feel guilty for letting one of his flock leave the church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 03:33PM

You got the standard reply. You are officially out. The rest is just the church shuffling papers. The bishop may or may not try to contact you. If he does, you are under no obligation to talk to him, although it may speed things up if you do (just tell him that yes, it's you, and to process the paperwork with all due speed.) If the bishop stalls, contact Member Records after 60 days and they will complete the process. At that point, you get your notification from the church that you are officially out.

Posted by: soulsearcher ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 03:47PM

Wow!! Thanks so much! You guys are all terrific. I was just cleaning under the bed for a place to hide.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 03:51PM

You didn't try to resign. You did resign.

Posted by: tiredofreligion ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 03:54PM

I just got the exact same letter! I was bummed that I may have to talk to a bishop who I have never met. Thanks everyone for clarifying.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:12PM

Save that letter! It is your legal proof that you are no longer a member of the LDS church.

Yeah Baby, Yeah!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:17PM

Tell them FUCK the bishop. They tried this with me too and I didn't even know the bishie. I told them I wanted proof that my name was no longer on their rolls or they'd hear from my lawyer.
Within the week, I got the letter.

You just have to be forceful with the CULT. You know have they shove things down people's throat's and have no boundaries? Well that only way to counteract that is with force which translates to DEMAND THEY TAKE YOU OFF THE ROLLS NOW.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:36PM

Refuse to talk to the bishop.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:45PM

As others note: you have resigned. That happened when you sent your resignation. As a practical matter it's handy to have some confirmation of your resignation. The letter they sent provides that. It confirms and dates their receipt of your resignation.

They're welcome to do whatever they want with "local bishops" etc. You have resigned.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:47PM

Yup, as soon as you say "Bye Felcia" you're out.

Anything else is just them posing and pouting.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:47PM

congrats you are out!! welcome to the real world, where YOU are in charge of your life and how you live it.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 04:48PM

Has anyone on this board resigned and then tried to access their membership account or what ever account the church as for its members on the web? Was it blocked? To me if it wasn't blocked and if it didn't came back as no account found, you still have a record. I wish I knew my membership number so that I can check.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 07:39PM

EXON46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone on this board resigned and then tried to access their membership account or what ever account the church as for its members on the web?
> Was it blocked? To me if it wasn't blocked and if
> it didn't came back as no account found, you still
> have a record. I wish I knew my membership number
> so that I can check.

Yes. I did. I left the church mentally in the late 1950s. In the 60s I discovered that my name was on an elders' quorum list in a ward where I was then living, but had never attended (my TBM dad always saw to it that the bishop where I lived got my address), so I contacted the bishop and got myself excommunicated (the only way in those days to get out).

Thirty or 40 years later I telephoned Membership Records and asked them if I was a member on their lists. I only had to give them my full name and date of birth. The very nice man looked me up and said I was not a member. He asked why I was inquiring.
I told him I had left the church many years ago, and just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't on the records. He said, "Oh, that will be a different database. I'll check that!" In a few minutes he said, "Yes, the records show that you were excommunicated at your own request." (The date was 5 or 6 years off, but I didn't quibble.)

So you can find out. You do NOT need a membership number.

Contact the membership office in Salt Lake City directly at 801-240-3500 or 800-453-3860 extension 22053

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 19, 2015 05:16PM

If someone calls or shows up, tell them you are no longer a member. They need to do their paperwork and leave you alone. Click

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.