Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:44PM

So I was doing some math: if a human generation is about 25 years, that means that just 1,000 years ago (40 generations back) I had over one TRILLION ancestors (38th-great grandparents). But I checked on the internet and 1,000 years ago there were only a few hundred million humans alive. So the rest must have been aliens.

I mean, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 10:14PM by lurking in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:50PM

I mean, no -- not right.

You don't really need me to explain your error, right? ;-)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:52PM

Ah, c'mon, let him be right for awhile!

Date: November 22, 2015 07:42PM

I did -- for six whole minutes! :)

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:12PM

I knew I could count of you, hie (mathematician and no friend of woo) to debunk my "misconception." : )

Actually, here's how I use this concept. Whenever I'm among TBM's (a lot) and the subject of genealogy comes up (more than I care for) and they talk about someone being related to Charlemagne, I can't resist but mention the "trillion ancestors" thing. I say something like, "You realize that if you go back just one thousand years, you have something like one TRILLION 38th-great grandparents; but since there were only a few hundred million people alive at the time, everyone on earth at that point occurs in your direct line an average of a few thousand times. So who ISN'T descended from Charlemagne?"

I've also pointed out that the idea of "racial purity" is silly (even if they buy into a 6,000 year history of humanity and everyone descending from two white people). With so many individuals in your direct line (even multiple times), what are the chances, really, that there isn't a black person in their somewhere? I hope this plants the seed among some of my Mormon acquaintances that the whole black-priesthood-ban thing didn't go nearly far enough--even Brigham Young probably had at least "one drop" of blood from a "cursed" ancestor!

(*I realize that genetics doesn't play out this precisely, but I think it gets a general point across.)

Awwww, fun with math ... and reality. Good times!

: )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 02:38AM by lurking in.

Date: November 22, 2015 10:07PM

I knew you actually knew what was going on. :)
I enjoyed the thread!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:24AM

Actually brigham young was black as are most people who connect into English royalty. Look on family search there are English lines that most can connect into that go back to William duke of Normandy then back into Scandanavian royalty which goes back into troy and Macedonian times all the way back to Zeus and Oceania. Some of the branches go into Italian/Roman royalty and somehow connect into King David, his great grandmother was Ruth a Moabitess which was an intermarried tribe with the Cannanites which were a mixture of races descended from blacks.

Bet you didn't know jesus was black?

Date: November 23, 2015 11:51AM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...all the
> way back to Zeus and Oceania. Some of the branches
> go into Italian/Roman royalty and somehow connect
> into King David, his great grandmother was Ruth a
> Moabitess which was an intermarried tribe with the
> Cannanites which were a mixture of races descended
> from blacks.

Somehow, I doubt that even "family search" has entries for Zeus. And if it has entries for "David" and "Ruth," then it's just making stuff up, so what good is it?

>
> Bet you didn't know jesus was black?

I don't know "Jesus" existed. And neither do you. You can imagine that people not known to exist are any color you want -- that doesn't make it real :)

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:35PM

poopstone Wrote:
> Look on family search there are English lines
> that most can connect into that go back to William
> duke of Normandy then back into Scandanavian royalty
> which goes back into troy and Macedonian times all
> the way back to Zeus and Oceania.

Trace William's paternal line back to his g-g-g-grandfather Rollo, and you've hit a dead end. Norway and Denmark both claim him, but contemporary records are almost nonexistent (though they somehow support both claims). No Troy, no Macedonia, no Zeus, and I'm not even sure where Oceania ties in. Is there a maternal connection I've missed?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 03:58PM

Nope..... my genealogy goes back to royalty on every line which

I don't really believe... but Zeus and Oceania were not real

people, they were mythical. The whole genealogy thing is so

stupid that on several lines of mine I actually had Old king cole. I laughed about that one for days and days.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:26PM

Well maybe your math is a bit sloppy but you might be right about alien seed.....

http://evolution.about.com/od/LifeOrigins/a/Early-Life-Theories-Panspermia-Theory.htm

Stephen Hawking wouldn't believe in alien seed if it was bs now would he?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:03PM

But consarnit, the word is "hypothesis," not theory as far what they're talking about. There's no real evidence for "Panspermia," only hypothetical speculation.

Lessee, what else...

"Homologus Structures"? No, that has nothing to do with "gay genes" or gayness in general...

But this statement can be made more precise:

>"Homologous Structures: body parts on different species that are similar and most likely evolved from a common ancestor"

With advances in molecular biology we can be certain in many instances that such structures did evolve from a common ancestor (the lady that wrote this strikes me as a bit of a wuss the way she's being tentative. There are legitimate areas of debate and disagreement, but she starts talking boldly with that "Evolution is a fact," and then she retreats into some of the ID crowd's babbling, and I think that blunts her message).

The reason we can be certain is because of the "large numbers" involved in the sequencing of the four DNA nucleotides. Those four letters, A, C, G, & T, are combined in exceptionally long strings, and the laws of probability argue overwhelmingly in favor of a common ancestry. That includes, for example, a gene in a fish in Africa that causes a "thickening of the lips" and the same gene "expresses itself" in some of Darwin's finches in the Galapagos that determines the thickness of the birds' bills.

BTW, that's also a strong argument for "Continental Drift," and the existence of the "super continent," Pangea that later broke up to give us the land masses we see today.

And finally, as far as "Celebrity Scientists" go, I like this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michio_Kaku

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 02:05PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: cirrusminorae ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:27PM

Incest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 07:27PM by cirrusminorae.

Posted by: nevermo_ ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:31PM

That assumes that genes from your grandparents were never reintroduced to your genetic line.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:37PM

or proof of Adam and Eve.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:40PM

I, being a metaphysical naturalist and devotee of science-as-long-as-it-makes-sense, agree, sort of. I believe that alien, intelligent species exist or existed somewhere. But I also think that intelligence and self-awareness is kind of rare. I also recognize that space and time are really, really big. Bigger than we can even imagine. Personally, I think that mankind evolved from life that either spontaneously formed on earth, or originated in our solar system. Every thing else is way too far away. Orders of magnitude too far away.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:48PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
> I, being a metaphysical naturalist and devotee of
> science-as-long-as-it-makes-sense, agree, sort of.
> I believe that alien, intelligent species exist
> or existed somewhere. But I also think that
> intelligence and self-awareness is kind of rare. I
> also recognize that space and time are really,
> really big. Bigger than we can even imagine.
> Personally, I think that mankind evolved from life
> that either spontaneously formed on earth, or
> originated in our solar system. Every thing else
> is way too far away. Orders of magnitude too far
> away.

This is pretty much where I am as well...

Taking all of our planet's species as a whole, I think the intelligence and self-awareness that we have as Earthlings is at least mostly home-grown...

...but over the eons there may well have been the odd visitor happening by this apparently rather insignificant planet who may have had some physiological or other input into the lifeforms, intelligence, and self-awareness which undeniably do exist here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 10:40PM by Tevai.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:29PM

Okay, here's something that Dr. Neil Degrass Tyson talked about... That I hadn't thought of. I had thought of extra-terrestrials but of course time, intelligence, etc... made it impossible that they could ever "reach" us either through some sort of light communication or be "visitors". Then, he pointed out that Chimps are only 1% different than us in DNA. Hmmmm? Here's the video it's only about 10 minutes.
https://youtu.be/K2wp5Qe3JV0

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:45PM

Kolobians, I tellz ya!

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:12PM

The moon people visited us.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:40PM

Yes aliens have visited earth and we also know for sure where Major Tom ended up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:45PM

Erich von Däniken would be proud

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:53AM

Actually lines converge. You are under the assumption that you are not related to yourself.

I learned in my own family "tree" that my father and mother shared a common ancestor, 400 years ago. Namely William Bradford of Plymoth fame.

The nice little pedigree charts look like the branches constantly spread out. But that is not the case at all.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:29AM

I'm not sure about this. Just a moment while I put on my tin foil hat.

Oh, now it all makes sense!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:25PM

Being as we all start out life as zygotes, what's so hard about the seed theory?

Sounds like human engineering at work.

Are we an invention of someone else's science experiment?

Perhaps.

Sometimes I picture us "earthlings" on this planet as existing on a sort of petri dish, being watched, overseen, and recorded for scientific observation by beings from a distant planet maybe even another galaxy away.

The human body is an amazing feat of engineering if you stop to wonder about it. That's no accident by design. Neither is the concept of atoms or cells, or all other living things. What separates us is in our ability to create and invent from other living things.

Date: November 23, 2015 12:48PM

amyjo Wrote:
> The human body is an amazing feat of engineering
> if you stop to wonder about it. That's no accident
> by design.

No, it's not. It's an amazing feat of millions of years of trial and error (natural selection). Yes, that's not an "accident" -- natural selection is quite good at weeding out unworkable or not so good modifications (that aren't designed), and keeping workable, viable modifications (that aren't designed).

Date: November 23, 2015 01:20PM

We still could have been seeded here from another planet in another time and dimension.

Your beliefs do not facts make either.

Theories of evolution are still theories.

"Personally, I have no doubt that the human species is very-very old on Earth. This article brings evidence that humans were here long before dinosaurs (at least 30 - 400 million years before, according to the final chapter), long before any animals or birds existed. The humans had later co-existed with them all.

I also have no doubt that extraterrestrial species interfered in our evolution. All major ancient civilizations tell stories of aliens who came to Earth and taught them everything they knew (and they knew a lot; they were better than we are today in: astronomy and constructions and at least as good as we are in many other fields).

The Sumerians, Babylonians, Mayas, Incas, American Indians, Asian Indians, African tribes, Egyptians, the first Asians, etc., ALL have written or spoken history regarding extraterrestrials and their intervention in our evolution. (Click HERE and read the final chapter).

Even though these civilizations were so far apart from each other (in both time and space), their creation stories are strikingly similar. Our true history, which is not being taught in schools, is filled with accounts of extraterrestrials coming down to Earth and genetically upgrading us into a better species.

The African oral history states that the humans were not allowed to depict their so called 'creators' in their TRUE FORM. Those breaking this rule were taken away by the creators, never to be returned. So, our genetically modified ancestors depicted the aliens in different, but clearly non-human, shapes.

We were able to find out of their true appearance from the spoken legends, and especially from the written texts and small sculptures that escaped the vigilance of our colonizers."

http://humansarefree.com/2011/04/amazing-evidence-human-specie-is.html

Date: November 23, 2015 01:26PM

amyjo Wrote:
> We still could have been seeded here from another
> planet in another time and dimension.

Yet there is NO evidence of any such thing.

> Your beliefs do not facts make either.
> Theories of evolution are still theories.

Evolution is an observed fact. The "theory of evolution" explains how the observed fact works, and is itself based on facts and evidence.
Deal with it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 04:07PM

amyjo Wrote:
> Being as we all start out life as zygotes, what's
> so hard about the seed theory?
>

If you listen to gametes, they are all of the opinion that zygotes are just how gametes reproduce. And we didn't start out as zygotes, we started out as gametes. Except for parthenogentic frogs and other reptiles, which develop from one gamete, which is a trick humans best not master, although the Amazons might have...

>
> The human body is an amazing feat of engineering
> if you stop to wonder about it.
>

the human body is a cobbled together nightmare of unholy proportion! There were two requisites that needed to be met, and the rest is just a mish-mash! We had to be able to mate, that is, the reproductive organs needed to line up, and we needed stereoscopic vision to hunt.

There is so much WRONG with how the human body is assembled! It's an engineering nightmare! It is one of the proofs of atheism! What kind of ghawd would design the rickety glopfest that is the human body and then send spirits to live in it?

The nut sack!
The poopchute and the love canal an inch apart!
Snoring!
Teeth that unaided don't last very long
two days without water and you're delirious and out of it. Another day and you're dead.
Nearsidedness/farsightedness
Kidney stones
Gout
and a whole host of conditions that are at one end of the continuum, unpleasant, and at the other, fatal.

The list of things that could be better designed or articulated is endless, especially when you start drilling down to the microscopic level.

Kumbaya; it's out there...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 01:29PM

They've infiltrated the pentagram, where there are five sides to every storey.

Date: November 23, 2015 02:44PM

I like Shummy's theory best (see above.)

We're all aliens. And here's the proof. It's in the Plankton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2730997/Are-ALL-aliens-Discovery-plankton-ISS-proof-life-Earth-came-outer-space-claims-scientist.html

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:46PM

Of course you are right. How could you possibly be wrong?

Date: November 23, 2015 03:59PM

desertman Wrote:
> Of course you are right. How could you possibly be
> wrong?

By deciding things based on what she "likes" rather than facts and evidence.
That's how. :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 04:15PM

I KNEW I was fucked by aliens.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.