Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:26PM

So some members have taken a giant step back from me,
BUT: I am starting to take giant steps back from them too.

The level of crazy the members in my life engage in is so frustrating that I am finding myself incredibly loathe to even be around the ones I view / viewed as my friends.

Most of them are leaving me anyways on their own, but the friends that are currently still in my life:

Honestly the double standards, hypocrisy and blind obedience (oh let me know tell you how many times this week alone I have heard members say we must follow the leaders even if we think they are wrong and it will all be worked out when we die - it's the new mantra in our ward!) - they are driving me mad!

Is this a normal reaction after leaving the cult?

Also my best TBM friend is treating me like a project now and I can't do it. I honestly thought this person was a true friend, and now I am seriously doubting it.

Please discuss.

I find it funny that I am now the one wanting to do the shunning when I was so worried about people shunning me (that day I posted feeling like my whole world was ruined from it! oh how the tables are now turned).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:34PM

Mormons are taught that if a sheep gets lost it is their duty to help bring them back to the fold.

They don't understand why they get kicked when they try.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:45PM

I think you may need to come up with some stock responses, i.e. "I disagree with you, but if it works for you, fine." To your best friend I would say, "If you truly subscribe to the Eleventh Article of Faith, now is the time for you to live it."

I'm sorry that things are getting difficult, but on this board we've seen it happen again and again. Just keep in mind that a real friend will respect your right to believe as you please.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:09AM

What you want to do is not shunning. That's for the weak or insecure, or someone who doesn't know how to have a discussion with compassion and understanding - which might mean changing their stance - or someone who is afraid or lacks basic wisdom.

What you want to do is accept them for who they are. They probably haven't even thought that far.

Good luck. Unfortunately many times when someone thinks they have found the truth, they stop looking. Growing.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:16AM

thatsnotmyname :

You put into words EXACTLY how I feel. ( How a LOT of us feel!)

Thank you. It's good to know that others know EXACTLY how I feel.
God bless you !

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.