Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Garçon ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 11:29AM

I know that when I was a missionary in France in the early 80's, we had a secret code that could alert us to a potential need to work out way to the mission home in case of a social emergency. This was, of course, at a time when most missionaries only had access to a pay phone.

Is there anyone out there who is aware of how the church is dealing with its missionaries in France and Belgium at the moment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:36PM

If you go to preparetoserve.com, you can click on "missions", find the France - Paris mission and read some reactions to the attack.

One sister opined that the attack was Satan trying to derail their new plan to increase baptisms via prayer on the hour, every hour, beginning Saturday. By staging the attack on Friday, Satan was trying to preempt them! But his plan didn’t work;they prayed anyway!

No word yet regarding an increase in baptisms...

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:31PM

Christ I am slow today. I had totaly no idea you were refering to the pscopathic serial murderers at large.

Btw I have to say I was amazed how little was mentioned about the Paris attacks on the exmo boards. But then I guess as an Englishman it hit home a bit harder and lets face hit we barely noticed the similar number of murders in the same week when the occured in the middle east. Shame on us all.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:53PM

They're also worried this violence will spread.

I think we don't discuss it on RfM because political discussions would result and are not allowed,

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 02:01PM

true enough. I could live without all the who is worse muslims or mormons or chritians debates it woul spark off.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:32PM

I was there (France-Paris mission) '79-80.
I don't recall us having a secret code...?
Maybe that came after I left.

With cell phones, texts, and e-mails, they probably just sent an electronic blast to the mishies saying "shelter in place."
And then sent them out again the next day :)

The current MP there is the son of the Versailles stake president when I was there. He was a toddler at the time, but his two older sisters were quite cute...and tempting!

Date: November 24, 2015 03:17PM

The code, as I was to learn from a companion, never heard it from anyone with mission authority, was this: if we received a telegram or a message from a member that said we were to pack our books, that meant we were to be ready to leave our apartment if necessary. If the message was to ship our books,we were to make our way to the mission office as quickly as possible.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 03:19PM

Were you there after President Robinson?
Perhaps this was the idea of his replacement...?

Date: November 24, 2015 04:18PM

Switzerland '81 to '83.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.