Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:36PM

Just found out the Eastridge Stake in SLC has been reconfigured
because of dwindling membership numbers.

Two wards in the Eastridge Stake, the Chevy Chase and Eastridge wards,
were combined because neither had enough active members any longer
to support a ward on its own.

That is all, carry on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:41PM

I would not be surprised to see this as a regular event. Any indication of what happened to the vacated building?

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:48PM

Both wards, up to now, have been meeting in the Eastridge Stake Center.

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:56PM

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:01PM

That was my first thought too. Way better ward name than anything around here, i.e., first ward, second ward, third ward, etc. However, I'm not sure that Chevy Chase would feel very honored to know there is a ward with the same name.

Posted by: anon12 ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 11:29PM

Chevy Chase Dr. is the name of a road in the area of this ward.
I live in the basic area and I know a lot of people are moving into it that are not Mormon. And then there are a lot who are completely non-active members on record.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 05:35AM

It's also the name of a town in Maryland. It's a suburb of Washington, D.C.

Apparently the actor Chevy Chase's given name is Cornelius. The nickname "Chevy" was given to him to reflect a an ancient British ballad. I suppose that the town, street, etc. got their names in the same manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Chevy_Chase

Posted by: Not Logged In ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 02:51PM

"Chevy Chase" is the name of a ballad -- it may date back as far as 1430 -- narrating clashes between the English and the Scots. The original title was "Cheviot Chase," named after a hunting preserve (chase) in the Cheviot Hills. The ballad is also known as "The Hunting of the Cheviot."

This information is provided at no extra charge.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:02PM

Mormonism has always been a tribe of the American suburb. All the ward members from Salt Lake City are moving to suburban locations because they have big houses, smart kids, no bars, and suburban shit don't stink.

At least that's the feeling in my neighborhood. When we moved here years ago, the folks joked that you needed a masters degree and temple recommend to get into the neighborhood. The Boner.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:13PM

Thats exactly what my former ward did, they widened the boundries to encompase more people because their attendance was dwindling.
I think things will just keep on dwindling and dwindling away.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:34AM

Just a few years back, the Olympus Cove area of Salt Lake went through a major downsize that included the consoldation of two stakes. The old Mo's who founded the neighborhood continue to die off and non-mo's continue to buy up the pricey houses that faithful young mo's with big families cannot afford.

I would give it perhaps 10 years to reconsolidation number two, which would consolidate Olympus Cove and Parley's Canyon area and a little strip of East Millcreek into one stake: An area with a population of about 30,000 in very heart of the Mormon homeland cut down to one stake, one small stake.

The world's immune system is fighting back against the alien invaders.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:04AM

Olympus Cove- where the streets have Book of Mormon names.
Some friends bought a house on Abinadi. I was happy to inform them that it was my temple name.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 02:15PM

That would be a tough call for me.

I don't think I could handle that constant Mo reference every time I gave my address.

I think I'd start to pronounce it "Ah-bin-AHdee" Drive

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 07:49AM

No doubt they couch this in a good light and announce, "A new stake in Zion has been formed in East Millcreek." I once saw a thread here on RfM years ago where someone had seen an announcement of "Three New Missions in Europe!," and found out that two had been consolidations of 2 missions, and one a consolidation of 3 missions, or 7 missions becoming 3 for a net loss of 4. Mormons love to play this game so that the situation doesn't appear to be the bummer that it is.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 06:22PM

Oh, wow...

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 01:56PM

Apparently, they all moved to northern Colorado.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:02PM

and that may well be what happened.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 03:28PM

I find it difficult to see how the ward I am coerced into attending can continue. To the best of my knowledge there are about 500 members assigned to this ward. On a really good Sunday there are 60 in attendance.

BTW I don't pay the 10% extortion money.

Posted by: Exmo for 56 years! ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:31PM

What if you spent you Sundays doing sports or recreation, such as golfing, bicycling, hiking, skiing, sailing? Wouldn't that beat a boring Mormon church meeting?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.