Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 10:45PM

I noticed on Facebook a TBM woman I know posted on Facebook that she has gotten engaged. She is in her 60's. She is posting pictures of her ring and where he bought it, etc. Today she posted she is now an 8 cow Johnny Lingo woman because of her future husband. 50 years ago I thought the phrase 8 cow woman was insulting to a woman and still do. Comparing herself to cows seems pretty perverted to me.

I think when a 60+ year old woman acts like a teenager in love is pretty much a Mormon thing. She has been married several times before this one so getting married is not a new thing for her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 10:54PM

My take, as a cynic, is that she's rubbing her friends' noses in the fact that she's "still got it."

Were she of some other cult, she'd have used that cult's appropriate language.

You should see a golfer, when he gets a new driver or putter, bragging and showing it off!

Not everyone is as subtle, unstated and deprecating as you and I.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 12:00AM

http://www.ultimatehusband.com/8cow_wife.htm

I think the original RD story represents a man who dearly loved a woman he saw with only his heart, but the way it's now being commercialized is a bit disgusting.

Posted by: ette ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 01:26AM

Eight cows sounds like a discount. I had to get 12 cows and a goat for my wife's family. Guess that's what happens when you marry an African gal.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 01:35AM

Revolting, in every possible way.

Between Johnny Lingo and Tom Trails, I had extra sleep in seminary.

It was beyond me that nobody else seemed to think there was anything wrong with those sexist, racist church endorsed "messages."

I hope he has more diamonds up his sleeve, for his eternal cow. Another Mormon dream come true. She can't wait to moo until testimony meeting.

Posted by: Cate&Penny ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 09:12AM

Nevermo. But I thought I'd seen it all--Johnny Lingo, Ciper in the Snow, the Mailbox, I'll Build You a Rainbow, et al.

Looked up Tom Trails and NUTTIN'! There's a now defunct website that apparently showed the entire filmstrip.

A working link or summary would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 09:29AM

Who remembers the one with the little boy running across the railroad bridge, and his dad lets the train run right over him, in his act of "love and courage," saving the other lives on the train?

I found that one revolting. What kind of example is that teaching future parents? To be willing to throw their children under the bus, er train? Oh, right. It's consistent with its teachings.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 09:38AM

What is it about associated the worth of cows to wimmen's in the Mormon church?

Here is what Heber C. Kimball said:

"I think no more of taking another wife than I do of buying a cow." - Apostle Heber C. Kimball

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 10:59AM

Exmoron wrote, in part...

> "I think no more of taking another wife than I do
> of buying a cow." - Apostle Heber C. Kimball

===================================================
...Meanwhile, back in the barnyard, the cows all looked at each other and said, "Feh!"

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 03:37PM

I remember that story and still do not like it. However, the premise of the story is that Johnny paid a dowry for his wife for 8 cows. He was the village catch and wanted the village reject. They went on a honeymoon and when she came back she was beautiful. The morale of the story was she became beautiful, because she was treated beautifully, loved well, and believed she was beautiful because he saw her value before anyone else did, including her.

Now how many people in the actual modern day church do you think would actually pony up money in advance without seeing how well a woman clean up? NADA.

As for me, I am the whole HERD and FARM.

XO

RMM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.