Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 05:59PM

As some of you may know, I have a gay niece who married her girlfriend recently. My sister told me today that her bishop said he has no intention of calling DN or anyone else in and exing them. Apparently some bishops have issue with this too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 06:08PM

Nice news! Is this in, or out of the Morridor?

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 06:10PM

It is in the greater Salt Lake area.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 06:21PM

My feeling is that most bishops are sincere, caring guys, although often clueless as to skills required for any sort of psychological counselling. I think around 70% of them would not initiate excommunication for married same-sex members. Just a guess, but I think most of them would prefer to sweep it under the rug if at all possible.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 06:23PM

"I see nothzing, I know nothzing...."

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 07:11PM

I don't really understand why not. Being gay keeps one out of the Mormon clubhouse in every way that seems to matter to people (temple, callings, leadership positions, reputation, ?membership). So how could being LGBTQ, and married to an LGBTQ person, *not* be a mandatory exxing, or at least severe reprimand, if not outright shunning from the colony?

Just asking. I'm not saying that it should happen that way.

I just don't get how a bishop could have an LGBTQ married couple on the membership rolls. Is it that he 'allows' them to attend but they cannot participate in any way?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 07:23PM

I'm not even sure they could be allowed to attend. How could a same-sex couple sitting together in the pews even be tolerated? And if they dared hold hands, or God forbid, one gave the other a back rub ... I mean, wouldn't the ground underneath a Mormon chapel open up and consume them anyway?!?!?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 05:12AM

they'd probably feel too guilty to do anything anyway is my guess. There's no way they would hold hands.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 09:30AM

I've heard they're going to change the sign outside:

VISITORS WELCOME*

*see Bishop before you enter

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 06:25PM

I'm glad to hear that. It's nice to know that not all Bishops are sheeple.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 07:01PM

Greyfort :

Good way to describe it ! Sheeple. Exactly.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 07:30PM

I have little idea of how TSCC will actually handle these issues. I know that my sissy-baby transvestitic fetishism will not be a subject of any bishop's interview in the near future.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 07:00AM

There are two problems with this approach:

1) The higher ups may start to pressure him. If he gets a new SP or some GA gets wind of this, they may force the issue. He is in violation of church policy by ignoring this.

2) If he is released or they move, their new bishop may decide to enforce the policy.

In either case, they will be exed. The new policy states that gay marriage is apostasy, and mandatory excommunication or disfellowshipping is called for. There is really no point disfellowshipping her, since she's not going to get divorced to stay in the church.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 04:42PM

Christopherson explicitly stated that though a disciplinary counsel was required, the outcome of it was not directed. Apparently the policy doesn't require excommunication.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 05:09PM

GREAT respect for this Bishop .
*Maybe* there's hope after all !!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 05:24PM

I had heard that this is what caused the whole problem. That some gay married couple in the Washington D.C. area with a couple of kids were acting "normal"

Suddenly, they made a comment in some "Out" magazine article about attending church and watching their kids in some primary kids in some program.

Of course; some G.A. or someone was afraid that Gayness is contagious and is spreading all over. And is becoming acceptable and if people start seeing "those kind" as loving parents and as normal they'll soon be spreading their diseases and ideas into the LDS corporation. Even their children and gaybies will be spreading the "Gayness" diseases.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.