Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:12PM

Word of Wisdom, my eye.

Up until Joseph Smith's death, he was a drinker--and we ain't talkin' soda pop.

"Joseph Smith's Alcohol Drinking Habit

"There is substantial evidence that Joseph Smith drank alcohol on numerous occasions.

"Here are some specific references found in LDS sources:

"May 3, 1843 - 'drank a glass of wine with Sister Janetta Richards, made by her mother in England.' ('History of the Church,' vol. 5, pg. 380).

"January 29, 1844 - 'Capt[ain] White of Quincy was at the Mansion last night and this morning drank a toast.' ('The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith,' edited by Scott H. Faulring, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1989, pg. 443).

"June 1, 1844 - 'Drank a glass of beer at Mooessers' ('The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith,' edited by Scott H. Faulring, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1989, pg. 486).

"June 27, 1844 - 'Dr. Richards uncorked the bottle, and presented a glass to Joseph, who tasted, as also Brother Taylor, and the doctor, . . .' ('History of the Church,' vol. 6, pg. 616)

"In the last six months of Joseph Smith's life LDS records indicate that he drank at least three times. In the last month, he drank at least twice.\

"Other References That Indicate That Joseph Smith Did Not Object to Alcohol:

"March 7, 1843 - 'Reconed with Theodore, who enquired what was wisdom concerning a brewery in this place?' ('The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith,' edited by Scott H. Faulring, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1989, pg. 443).

"March 10, 1843 - 'Joseph decided that he had no objection to having a brewery put up by Theodore Turley.' ('The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith,' edited by Scott H. Faulring, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1989, pg. 329).

"There was a bar in the Joseph Smith's own house as indicated by Joseph Smith's statement, 'I read my letter to H[enry] Clay to many strangers in the bar room among whom was advocated for H[enry] Clay.' ('The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith,' edited by Scott H. Faulring, Signature Books, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1989, pg. 488).

"Joseph Smith even obtained a liquor license to distribute alcohol from his home. Take a look at 'History of the Church,' vol. 6, pg. 111, 'Section 1 - Be it ordained by the City Council of Nauvoo, that the Mayor [Joseph Smith] of the city is hereby authorized to sell or give spirits of any quantity as he in his wisdom shall judge to be for the health and comfort, or convenience of such travelers or other persons as shall visit his house from time to time.'

" . . . [T]he words 'drinking habit' are not completely out of line. LDS historical records at one point have Joseph Smith drinking at least twice in less than one month. Joseph Smith had a bar in his home (Mansion House), and a liquor license to distribute and sell alcohol. This information supports a conclusion that Joseph Smith enjoyed drinking alcohol.

"The evidence is very clear that he drank on numerous occasions and that he did not object to a bar in his home (Mansion House), selling and distributing alcohol from his home, having a brewery nearby, or going for a beer at the local tavern. So from this . . . it is reasonable to conclude that Joseph Smith had a 'drinking habit,' not to be confused with an extreme habit, such as 'alcoholism.'"

("Joseph Smith's Alcohol Drinking Habit," 3 November 2008)f=3andt=2380#p75122)
_____

Additional Confirmation of Joseph Smith's Meeting at the Bar/Barstool of God:

"Joseph Smith, Authorizing Himself to Sell Liquor:

"'Ordinance on the Personal Sale of Liquors. Section 1. Be it ordained by the City Council of Nauvoo, that the Mayor of the city be and is hereby authorized to sell or give spirits of any quantity as he in his wisdom shall judge to be for the health and comfort, or convenience of such travelers or other persons as shall visit his house from time to time.Passed December 12, 1843.JOSEPH SMITH, Mayor. WILLARD RICHARDS, Recorder.' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 6, p. 111)

"Brother Joseph, Enjoying the Fruits of the Vine and the Grains of the Field:

"'Called at the office and DRANK A GLASS OF WINE with Sister Jenetta Richards, made by her mother in England, and reviewed a portion of the conference minutes.' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 5, p. 380)

“'We then partook of some refreshments, and OUR HEARTS WERE MADE GLAD WITH THE FRUIT OF THE VINE.' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 2, p. 369)

"'Elders Orson Hyde, Luke S. Johnson, and Warren Parrish, then presented the Presidency with three servers of glasses filled with WINE to bless. And it fell to my lot to attend to this duty, which I cheerfully discharged. It was then passed round in order, then the cake in the same order; and suffice it to say, OUR HEARTS WERE MADE GLAD while partaking of the bounty of earth which was presented, until we had taken our fill;. . . .' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 2, p. 378)

“'April 17–This day THE TWELVE blessed and DRANK A BOTTLE OF WINE at Penworthan, made by Mother Moon FORTY YEARS BEFORE.' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 4, p. 120)

"Joseph Continues to Drink, Even While in Jail:

“'Before the jailor came in, his boy brought in some water, and said the guard wanted some WINE. JOSEPH gave Dr. Richards two dollars to give the guard; but the guard said one was enough, and would take no more. The guard immediately sent FOR A BOTTLE OF WINE, pipes, and two small papers of tobacco; and one of the guards brought them into the jail soon after the jailor went out. Dr. Richards uncorked the bottle, AND PRESENTED A GLASS TO JOSEPH, WHO TASTED, AS BROTHER TAYLOR AND THE DOCTOR, and the bottle was then given to the guard, who turned to go out.' ('History of the Church,' Vol. 6, p. 616)

"Sometime after dinner we sent for some WINE. It hasbeen r'eported by some that this was taken as a sacrament. It was NO SUCH THING; our spirits were generally dull and heavy, and it was sent for to revive us.... I believe we all drank of the WINE, and gave some to one or two of the prison guards.' (John Taylor, in 'History of the Church,' Vol. 7, p. 101)

"Joseph Opens His Own Bar:

"'About 1842, a new and larger house was built for us. . . . Father proceeded to build an extensive addition running out from the south wing toward the east. . . . At any rate, it seemed spacious then, and a sign was put out giving it the dignified name of "The Nauvoo Mansion,". . . Mother was to be installed as landlady, and soon made a trip to Saint Louis. When she returned Mother found installed in the keeping - room of the hotel–that is to say, the main room where the guests assembled and where they were received upon arrival–A BAR, with counter, shelves, bottles, glasses, and other paraphernalia customary for a FULLY-EQUIPPED TAVERN BAR, and Porter Rockwell in charge as tender. She was very much surprised and disturbed over this arrangement, but said nothing for a while. . . . [S]he asked me where Father was. I told her he was in the front room. . . . Then she told me to go and tell him she wished to see him. I obeyed, and returned with him to the hall where Mother awaited him. "Joseph," she asked, "Whatis the meaning of THAT BAR IN THIS HOUSE?" . . . . "How does it look," she asked, "for the spiritual head of a religious body to be keeping a hotel in which is a room fitted out as a LIQUOR-SELLING ESTABLISHMENT?" He reminded her that all taverns had their BARS at which liquor was sold or dispensed. Mother's reply came emphatically clear, though uttered quietly: “Well, Joseph,. . . I will take my children and go across to the old house and stay there, for I will not have them raised up under such conditions as this arrangement imposes upon us, nor have them mingle with the kind of men who frequent such a place. You are at liberty to make your choice; EITHER THAT BAR GOES OUT OF THE HOUSE, OR WE WILL!" It did not take Father long to make the choice, for he replied immediately, "Very well, Emma; I will have it removed at once"–and he did.' (Joseph Smith's own son, in 'The Saints' Herald,' Jan. 22, 1935, p. 110)"

("Drinkin' and Smokin' Prophets," emphasis in original, at Real Mormon History)
_____

As to frequent accusations that Joseph Smith did not infrequently imbibe, author LaMar Petersen writes in his book "Hearts Made Glad: The Charges of Intemperance Against Joseph Smith the Mormon Prophet ('and Folkes That Dranken ben of Ale'--Chaucer)":

"Joseph Smith may have been a little amused at the frequent charges of his inebriety, for he seldom dignified them with a reply. . . . There is some evidence that he did not always take himself too seriously; at times he could, and did, remove the Prophet's mantle, slip out if his translating coat, lay the Urim and Thummim on the shelf, and relax like any ordinary tired business man.

"One noon, after studying indictments against himself, his loyal brother Hyrum and a hundred others on old Missouri troubles (as well as a new batch of threats from John C. Bennett), he lay down on his writing table with his head on a pile of law books, saying to scribe Willard Richards, 'Write and tell the world I acknowledge myself a very great lawyer; I am going to study law, and this is the way I study it.' And then he fell asleep.

"A toast to Joseph Smith--the most human of the Saints."

(LaMar Petersen, "Hearts Made Glad" [Salt Lake City, Utah: LaMar Petersen, 1975], in "Introductory Note," p. iv)

Burp!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 08:16PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:35PM

Ever since I dug into church history, it was clear that Emma was behind the "word of wisdom," not some "revelation." And that Joseph really didn't care about it one bit, other than to try to keep Emma off his back.

The story above (from one of his kids, about the bar in the Nauvoo Mansion) makes that pretty clear :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.