Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fakeempire ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 07:15PM

This is too funny. I've joked before about how a "dirty Dr. Pepper" from Swig is the Mormon equivalent of a cocktail. So I got a good chuckle reading this this article and how it talks about Swig and Sodalicious "attracting mothers seeking an afternoon sugar buzz" and "one of the few arenas where Mormons get to be a little naughty," among other gems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/us/utah-soda-wars.html?_r=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 07:15PM by fakeempire.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 30, 2015 10:10PM

Those Mormons ought to be careful what they wish for. As the competition heats up and profits get harder to come by, desperate measures may be taken. Rotgut syrups will be substituted for the brand name stuff. Mountain Dew will be watered down with Squirt, or worse, replaced with Sierra Mist. Mr. Pibb will be misrepresented as Dr. Pepper, and Dollar Store Shasta Coke as the real thing.

Worse than any of that will be the effects of intemperance on the community. Glucoholic housewives will offer testimony gloved hand jobs in mini vans that smell of diapers. Caffeine rages will have people shooting off their mouths in public places. There'll be drive by shoutings. The cost of rehabbing in fat camps will gulp up people's resources 44 ounces at a time.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 06:39AM

This could only happen in Utah or the greater Morridor. I will have to ask my brother in Mesa if these weird soda shops are appearing there yet.Seriously, who over the age of 14 could stand drinking all that super-sweet syrup? It is as if adults were flocking to Chuck E. Cheese for the gourmet food! They really would be better off with coffee or even mixed drinks than this slop.

Don, love your prohibition analogy. Watch out for the bathtub gingerale!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:07AM

Sugar is bad news, and I think most people are unaware of how addictive and harmful it is. I avoid it. It makes me fat, it makes me tired, it saps my energy and it makes me depressed.

Get off the sugar.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 07:43AM

No. Must. Have. Sugar! Er, I mean,... Somebody I know must have sugar.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 08:49AM

The article proves what everybody outside Utah knows. Mormons have a very crippled intellect.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 09:23AM

^^^^^^^^^^

nailed it;

'nothing better to do'; it also shows how legalistic LDS members are.

I wonder, how is DQ coping with this phenom?

Is a FP stmnt next on this?

and, btw, now that coffee seems to be 'proven' healthy in moderate amounts... Who's gonna wake up the 15 (I know, TSM can't be bothered)

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: December 01, 2015 12:26PM

GNPE, The 15 will have a prophecy concerning coffee after the ink has dried on the contract to purchase a coffee plantation. And my guess is that the coffee operation will be somewhere in Argentina.

That is where the church operates the largest commercial cattle operation in the Western hemisphere. As a result the church has a working relationship with the Argentine Government.

The climate is perfect for coffee and because of the existing relationship the cash pay offs to officials won't be as high as they are in Chile and Bolivia.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.