Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 08:30PM

First, let's get one thing out of the way: everyone needs to listen to one of the most badass songs in the history of rock n' roll badassery (and co-written by my pal, Ed King). Take it away, Brother Ronnie ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IMe_ITAXo ). (And check out Billy Powell's KICK*SS HONKY-TONK PIANO SOLO. HELL YA!!)

Ok, let's begin.

Mormons say no alcohol. Odd - since Joseph Smith drank a bottle of wine while he was in Carthage Jail ( scroll down on this: http://www.i4m.com/think/history/fallen_prophet.htm ). But whatever - NOW they say no alcohol. Great. That leaves more for the rest of us.

You know where I'm going with this: the joy of poison whiskey. It took some years after Mormonism, but finally, I began to try a few whiskies recommended by the experts. It was curiosity, I guess. Thing is, I didn't like them much.

But then - sweet Lord Jesus - I finally got around to trying a whiskey that all the experts say ain't all that great: Jack Daniel's Old Number Seven.

It's hard to describe...it just felt...so right. I think I felt the Holy Ghost or something. It was rude, awesome, hot, primal, smoky and, in some way I couldn't quite put my finger on, arousing. I began having visions of living in a log cabin somewhere in the Smoky Mountains, hunting, and coming home to a possum stew made by my sweet, doe-eyed Christian wife Sadie Mae, who I'd met at a village barn dance, and with whom I would go on to have over twenty children. You get the picture.

The smoky taste from this sweet, life-giving elixir, I came to discover, came from the whiskey being aged in charred barrels, and then drip-filtered through a giant stack of sugar maple charcoal, burnt right there on premises.

I then tried Jack Daniel's step-up: Gentleman Jack. This was normal Jack Daniel's filtered a second time through the stack of sugar maple charcoal. It was smoother, not as raw, but Lordy, it sure went down easy.

I told my brother - a highly experienced drinker - about My Beautiful Poison. He openly mocked me. He told me JD was "disgusting". In a word, he tried to get me to apostatize from My One True Whiskey Gospel. I admit - I flirted with it; I tried the other "way better" whiskies he recommended, but I honestly just didn't like them. There was nothing there for me. I got back on the Jack, and Gentleman Jack, train, and it just feels right.

What whiskey do *you* like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 08:39PM

I have not drank in a number of years, but do have some opinions on whiskey.

Jack is a sour mash whiskey. It became huge in the 80's due to Motley Crue drinking gallons onstage as well as Van Halen's, bassist, Micheal Anthony's custom Jack Daniels guitar.

It is a high quality, particularly of the mass produced.

I have always preferred the sweet mash whiskies, which is most of the Canadians, as well as such brands as Southern Comfort.

Stay away from Black Velvet as it is nasty.

If i were to only recommend one great whiskey, i would suggest Pendleton.

I was always much more partial to the tequilas, amd would consider a margarita to be the perfect drink.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 10:31PM

Pendleton is a good blend. I went to almost two years of school at the local community college in the town. It was disrespectfully called "Harvard on the Hill".

I was a good TBM at the time and never tried it while I was there. I did get a taste for it after I left. I still prefer a lovely single malt scotch that is old enough to vote.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 08:45PM

Hibiki 12...years of work and travel in Japan had the taste of the Japanese blends grow on me. Their 17 (as in years) is more expensive, but not any better.

And though I like your tune, believe it or not (no kissing up, I swear), my whiskey tunes are always BTO. Let it roll...:)

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 08:48PM

I'm moving to Kentucky and planning on some Kentucky Bourbon when I take the bourbon tour.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 09:08PM

And developed a new found respect for the band. Remember, I'm a classically trained musician who grew up on new wave, punk, and grunge, so it took some time to appreciate anything in the classic rock genre. I might add some to my Ipod to delve a little deeper.

Whiskey? Don't really drink it except on St. Patrick's and before I play skeeball in my hometown, and then it's Jameson.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 09:16PM

Curtis Lowe & Gimme 3 Steps. Loved Skynyrd.

Tal- maybe you can refresh my memory. I saw BTO in Houston in about 1977. Some douchebag threw a frisbee & hit a band member square on the bridge of his nose. Bled like Hell. They stopped the show, turned on the lights & refused to play until the fans gave up the idiot. Took about 2 minutes and then back to playing. Do you recall who was hit by the frisbee? Thanks.

Date: December 04, 2015 09:42PM

StillAnon - I was just a little kid; I wouldn't know. I can ask my dad, if you want.

Itzpalotl - There are some amazing, sublime moments in the Lynyrd Skynyrd catalogue. Just for starters, check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AtGZBWRmLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_LiWFJY_a8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y7viJbTDYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8egE4x9Djo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVMb0xhRsI

Date: December 04, 2015 09:48PM

No worries- just thought it may have been a story you had heard. I'd bet you'd remember if it was him. Thanks.

Date: December 04, 2015 10:03PM

Rock concerts in the 1970's, as you will remember, were quite a bit different than they are now. Then, there was a sort of animalistic vibe to the shows; people were drinking, smoking, getting rowdy, a lot of the seating was not pre-planned, etc. As a result, people would throw things fairly regularly.

My dad at the time used to laugh about how controlled Japanese audiences were at the time. They would sit there, watch politely, and then clap at the end of the song. But many rock concerts now, in North America, are like that. Seats are pre-assigned, guards are everywhere watching for smokers and drinkers and fighters, etc. Things have changed.

Point is, a LOT of stuff would get thrown around back then.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 07:02AM by Tal Bachman.

Date: December 04, 2015 11:23PM

Yep. I graduated high school in 75. My friends & I worked security at concerts at the Sam Houston Coliseum and later the Summit when I was still in school. My buddy's big brother worked for the promoter. I was only 16 but lied about my age. Saw a lot of great acts, including BTO & The Guess Who. It was crazy. Backstage was a zoo. Weed was everywhere & Quaaludes were the rage. Wasted chicks everywhere. I remember working backstage at a Blue Oyster Cult/Golden Earing concert. Girls were trying to get backstage. My friend joking told some girls that they'd have to be topless to get backstage. Jackpot! Couldn't believe how fast clothes came off. I was in heaven. You're right- you could get away with pretty much anything at rock concerts in the 70's as long as you weren't killing anyone. TMost band members were regular guys that would always share their beer & booze. I really didn't realize how cool it was & how lucky we were at the time. Wild times. Then came disco...........

Date: December 05, 2015 07:09AM

DonBagley - I think Historischer is thinking of "Funk 49" by the James Gang. Thing is, it's not close enough for Walsh to sue, and even if it was, I doubt he would.

Some great artists mentioned in this thread. Human, I saw Albert Collins when I was in high school. I was a big fan and his show blew me away.

StillAnon - Yes, my dad knew Terry Jacks.

Date: December 05, 2015 10:54AM

Tal- I met Terry Jacks in Ohio in 1982. I had to spend 3 weeks straight in Ohio for technical training in my first "real" job out of college. The director of training, getting ready to retire, kind of liked me. Used to take me out for beers a few nights a week & he & his wife would have me over for BBQ's on the weekends. He brought me home to meet his son. His son was Terry Clements, Gordon Lightfoot's lead guitarist. Terry Jacks was with him as were a few of his old buddies from Ohio. They were both very nice guys. After dinner, they broke out their guitars & jammed & played all kinds of stuff in the basement. It was pretty cool. I always thought that he wrote "Seasons in the Sun". Found out last night, watching John Sebastian's show, that it was originally written about 12 years earlier by Rod McKuen. Very talented guys.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 10:04PM

whiskey makes me barf

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 10:06PM

I also love that song, Tal. Personally I find the bourbon whiskeys to my preference. Oh, that sour mash.

Favorite top shelvers:
Makers Mark
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace

Favorite bargain bourbons:
Colonel Lee
Ancient Age

My grandfather, who was an asshole, smirked at me for liking Jack Daniels. He was too good for it. He and my father had conspired to put me away in a boy's ranch when I was fifteen. I did six months there, because they didn't want to deal with my complaints of the abuse I was getting at home. Word was getting out, and I suppose I was an embarrassment to them. Later, when I was an adult, grandpa treated me like dirt. I hope he enjoys wearing it for a shirt. As for Dad, screw you, Mormon.

Date: December 04, 2015 10:13PM

Just a heads up music lovers- RIGHT NOW on public TV (8pm MST) there's a Folk Rock program by John Sebastian. I've seen it before, but it's amazing how many guys founded so many bands and wrote so many great songs. The beginnings of Rock & Roll.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 10:53PM

Good old-fashioned southern rock n roll baby!!

My twin brother turned me onto whiskey while driving on Rt. 66 in Los Angeles in the rain.

I've been on the bourbon trail in Kentucky.

I still prefer Crown Royal and Rocks.

V/O and Rocks.

Maker's Mark is tasty...

~Breedum

Date: December 04, 2015 11:26PM

StillAnon - Yeah. I went to enough concerts as a boy to remember clearly what they were like. Later, in the 80's when I was in high school, I went on tour with Van Halen for a few weeks (my dad was opening). Things were still nuts then. I think it's really just in the past fifteen or twenty years that the venues have gotten a lot more "responsible" (or controlling, if you prefer).

Date: December 04, 2015 11:57PM

In the mid 70's we discovered "Outlaw Country" in Texas. We used to ride motorcycles through the Texas hill country. Discovered Luckenbach, Del Rio, etc. Jerry Jeff, Willie, Waylon, David Allan Coe, Emmy Lou, Gary P. Nunn, Ray Wylie, etc. Those guys were nuts. Claim to fame. I had a 78 T-bird that had running Wild Turkey from the trunk to a tap in the glove box. Just installed it that weekend. Was at a Jerry Jeff concert at Gilleys & my friend told him. He didn't believe it. We went out to the parking lot & had a few shots. Jerry Jeff threw up in my trunk! My claim to fame!
Did your Dad know Terry Jacks?

Date: December 05, 2015 12:12AM

Great story. I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry Jeff Walker at the Paul Masson vineyards near San Jose. The man was accessible to any and all fans and signed autographs like crazy. I had him sign a visor cap for my friend's girlfriend. He opened for the Dave Bromberg band that day.

Date: December 05, 2015 12:30AM

When was that? He was pretty wild in the 70's & 80's. Saw him all over South Texas & the Hill Country.He never finished half his concerts in the 70's-too wasted. Went through some legal crap w/ record labels. Took Susan to straighten his ass out. My brother knows his son, Django. Did you know he used to be roommates w/ Jimmy Buffet? If you think about it, they both have the same kind of storytelling writing style. Buffet about the Ocean, Jerry Jeff about Country stuff.

Posted by: Fasteddie ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:05AM

...tequila!!!

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:12AM

I'll bet Joe Walsh could win an infringement suit over that song.

Nice piano work, though.

Date: December 05, 2015 12:17AM

I can't think of what Walsh song you mean, but it does sound like something familiar. I've listened to a lot of Joe Walsh, so I'd probably recognize it if I knew the name (hint hint).

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:23AM

Walsh was with the James Gang first. I'll see if I can find a title or two.

Date: December 05, 2015 12:26AM

Something from the "Walk Away" era, perhaps?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:29AM

Between being Mormonish and full on Mormon I drank, a lot. I drank Jack Daniels for all the reasons you highlight so well.

Very different playlist, however. Junior Wells and Buddy Guy (whom I saw separately at the old King Eddie in Calgary), Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters and Elmore James of course, and a few lesser knowns like Hound Dog Taylor and Eddie Clearwater and Jimmy Johnson and Sonny Boy Williamson (one and two). Oh I loved myself some Jack and the Blues, I did.

If I were to drink whiskey again (which I won't) it'd be older Black Keys and White Stripes and other Jack White stuff and maybe the Blues again. Gotta love the roots to all that good rock and roll fruit. And Jack Daniels.

(Another bottle a night Jack guy was the guitarist for the Black Crows. Use to do local roadie work in my in between goodie two shoes stages.)

Human

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:34AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1660924,1661565#msg-1661565

That's what we drank. It was part of the song.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:41AM

My favorite whiskies (and I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains a few miles from the Smokies):

Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek

Posted by: packerroo ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 01:01AM

MacNaughtons on ice.Listening to Ozark Mtn. Daredevils.Living in the mountains of Idaho.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 07:38AM

Whiskey, the beverage that is dependent on the wooden barrel that it is stored / aged in to get most of its flavor. and its a given that it turns out better if the inside of the barrel has been very thoroughly charred. Sorry, but I can not get too moved with longings for the essence of oak as a flavor. Hickory maybe, in ham, but not Oak in whiskey. I have noticed that the whiskey producers are making a big effort to emphasize the infusion of other more enticing flavors into their beverage.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 08:35AM

Great thread, whisky & Lynyrd Skynyrd, two of my favourite topics.

I have a greatest hits CD in my car and when I play it, my wife hears me coming home two miles down the road...

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 09:32AM

Gentleman Jack I like.

Maker's Mark

Bullet Whisky is very good..

But I have really gotten in the Irish whiskys...a 24yr old aged Jameison is very tasty....

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 10:55AM

Jack Daniels is nice, you are right.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 12:14PM

Jack Daniels and Southern Comfort was Janis Joplin's favorite whiskey drinks.

I tried them as a teenager. They were the first whisky drinks I got drunk on - not sure underage drinking counts here?!

Haven't been an imbiber since then either. I didn't like the way whiskey made me feel. Suppose if I hadn't gotten drunk as a teenager I might have a different perspective. But that's the way it is....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.