Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 09:22PM

On November 24 I reported that two wards in the Eastridge Stake, the Chevy Chase and Eastridge wards,
were combined because neither had enough active members any longer
to support a ward on its own. Since then, I discovered that the Eastridge Ward is down
to as few as 10 couples for their Sacrament meetings. Also, I checked Cumorah.com
and it's actually the Salt Lake South Cottonwood Stake, not the Eastridge Stake. My bad, sorry.

In addition, I checked Cumorah.com and it indicated there were seven wards in the Salt Lake South Cottonwood Stake.
The wards named were the Farmland, Hyland, Cottonwood Creek, Eastridge and Chevy Chase.
That's only five wards and the last two were combined. Is it possible that the Salt Lake South Cottonwood Stake
is down to just four wards? If so, is it even possible to run a stake with only four wards?

Just as a side note, on April 29, 2013 I reported the following:
Stake Pres. of Salt Lake South Cottonwood Stake, "Our membership & attendance numbers are WAY DOWN...."

Talked to a TBM friend who shared a few interesting things about the stake conf. they recently attended.

This TBM's Stake Pres. told the "congregation" that the stake's membership and attendance numbers
are "WAY DOWN" even though they still have the same stake bounderies and the same number of households in the stake.

Are we possibly witnessing, in real time, "the death by a thousand cuts" of TSCC?

(Idiom Definition for 'Death of a thousand cuts': If something is suffering the death of a thousand cuts,
or death by a thousand cuts, lots of small bad things are happening, none of which are fatal in themselves,
but which add up to a slow and painful demise. Taken from www.usingenglish.com)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 06:28PM by heretic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 09:28PM

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/statistics/units/size

Not only is a 4-ward stake possible, there are numerous stakes that currently fit that bill...

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: December 04, 2015 09:37PM

PS according to ldschurchtemples.com the South Cottonwood stake currently has 5 ward's and one branch.

Date: December 05, 2015 04:00PM

I noticed that this website, ldschurchtemples.com, has yet to combine the two wards that merged together.

I suspect they'll soon be updating those "5 wards" to just four in the near future.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 04:08PM

How 'sad', ja ja :)

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 04:56PM

All of these temples and stakes are shrinking... Doesn't seem to add up with LDS leadership claims that they church is growing blah blah blah.

I remember when we had to fight to get our kids into the local temple to do baptisms for the dead ONCE A YEAR. Now our YM/YW go once QUARTERLY and are encourage to go as often as possible.

More temples and dwindling youth make for very quiet temples.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 06:19PM

I grew up in the South Cottonwood Ward. There were always good sized Primary and Mutual classes back in the day. Glad to hear the numbers are way down.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 08:34PM

heretic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are we possibly witnessing, in real time, "the
> death by a thousand cuts" of TSCC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingchi

In this case (Mormonism) I agree with historian James Elkins - dismemberment. (pun intended)

Date: December 05, 2015 09:41PM

Interesting. According to the wikipedia story on "Lingchi," this form of torture involved
actual dismemberment of limbs, rather than small cuts, so the victim usually died within 24 hours.

Although not a physical pain, these GA con men must be experiencing
considerable mental pain as they most likely are receiving a daily "cut" of bad news.
And deservedly so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2015 09:42PM by heretic.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: December 05, 2015 08:55PM

My city of 380,000 had 4 wards, a Spanish branch and a YSA branch, when I walked away 5 yrs ago.

It now has 2 wards, a Spanish branch and a YSA branch.

The TBMs I know say its because the Ontario economy has been hurting and the Alberta economy was booming so Mormons have been moving out there for work. Maybe so, but we used to have 4 wards + 2 branches, and now only 2 wards + 2 branches.

Posted by: Brampton? ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 09:27AM

By any chance, would your city be Brampton?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: December 06, 2015 11:15AM

Hey six...get ready for a renaisance...alberta economy is sucking big time...the lost sheep will be pouring in for a bale of hay any day...isnt it marvelous

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.