Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 01:22PM

https://deseretbook.com/p/future-as-bright-as-your-faith?variant_id=117129-hardcover

My TBM dad was going to give this to two of my sister's for Christmas. We went to the Twin Falls Desert Book store after I went to the movies and him to the Temple. The clerk there didn't know when they were getting more in.

What's so special about this book? Did he actually write it? Or was it ghost written?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 01:27PM

I think many Mormons want to have the latest word from "the prophet" as they think it's current revelation, or inspired writings that they need to read for "the last days."
They place great importance on LDS writers books.
I think most of them are ghost writers.
It's just fluff, most likely. Repeated talks, etc.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 01:46PM

Mormons think that this ordinary old man has magical powers.

Therefore, accordingly, his book might have magical powers too.

Less than 10% of those who buy the book will ever read it.

It will remain lovingly sealed shut on the coffee/postum table.

Posted by: brucermalarky ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 01:54PM

I like the disclaimer at the beginning:

(Copyright 2011 Thomas S Monson
All rights reserved. Blah blah blah

"This work is not an official publication of the Church of jesus Christ of latter day saints. The views expressed herein are the responsibility of the author and do not reflect the position of the Church or of Deseret Book."

COME ON! He's the damn prophet and his views don't represent the views of the church? Who then actually speaks for the church then?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 02:05PM

Now THAT'S 'The Onion' funny!! "Here's a book by a guy chosen by GOD to give guidance and revelation from...you know...GOD'S only True and Restored Church on Earth, but our lawyers want you to know that you shouldn't actually believe one a word in this book actually *is* official stuff from...you know...GOD."

Also, people will buy this book because...it's there.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 02:12PM

This book, along with all the other tangible bits, pieces and things the members can touch, carry and (most importantly) buy, are "Totems" and they are very important in the belief process.

Here's the basic definition of a totem: "A totem is a spirit being, sacred object, or symbol that serves as an emblem of a group of people, such as a family, clan, lineage, or tribe. The totemic symbol may serve as a reminder of the kin group's ancestry or mythic past."

Emphasis on the 'mythic' in mythic past...

Not only am I 'totemless', I won't even open fortune cookies to read the little slip of paper. I've watched people in groups dither or which fortune cookie to select at the end of the Chinese dinner...

Or as a famous man once said:

"I am constantly haunted by the thought that my disbelief in mystic powers is what is preventing me from rolling a 300 game on any given Tuesday night at Bowlerama, but I still force myself to step on sidewalk cracks."
- - Judic West, Secretary, Wuthering Heights Mixed Bowling League, 1804-1805

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 02:29PM

"future as bright as your faith" seems like a fairy tale ending to the disappointing lives people actually live. It's like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow kind of thing. Everyone wants prince humperdink to come and save them right?

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 09:29PM

Agreed. There's some big-time Magical Thinking being pushed here, along with the false notion that everything is within your control. If you're faithful enough, everything will be perfect! Oh, things aren't perfect (by our definition)? It's your fault!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 07:39PM

As it has his name on it, TBM's feel like they must have something "written" by their prophet. It makes them look good when the HT's and VT's show up, to have that book on their postum/coffee table.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 07:39PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 07:44PM

They want to have a copy so that their HomeTeachers can see them with it. They might never read more than a few paragraphs, but by golly, they were seen with it!

Posted by: anonculous ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 08:05PM

"Future [only] as Bright as Your Faith"

As always, the cult wants you to know that if a bright future doesn't happen, it's your fault.

Posted by: HappyandFree ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 09:29PM

This.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 08:24PM

It's popular because it's written by the current "prophet".
Once Tommy croaks, Deserted Books won't be able to give a copy away.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 11, 2015 10:04PM

WHY do MORmONS put any stock in any of THE books written by leaders of THE MORmON church ? Who are ass clowns who have NEVER had a genuine revelation or anything of veritable merit to say yet.

Starting with the Horrid Book of MORmON itself. The most intriguing aspects of the BOM is how the BOM scam perpetrators persisted in promoting such a shoddy transparent piece of garbage. and actually found enough people, MORmONS, who are stupid and gullible enough to sustain the idiotic predatory BOM scheme. Parley Poophead Pratt's declarations about the BOM being so compelling that he could not put it down until he had completed it are laughable, since the BOM is garbage in every way. It is unpalatable garbage from a literary standpoint as well as from the standpoint of being a historical chronicle.
The passages contained in the BOM with the intention of promoting the BOM are simply idiocy on idiocy, hubris on hubris.
Subsequent writings by MORmON apologist authors attempting to defend the MORmON religion hardly improve in quality or plausibility or reason or pertinence, how can they since MORmON started as a sham, and it has hardly improved in authenticity or validity, it merely continues to pump out new layers of garbage in the attempt to justify previous layers of garbage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.