Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:22PM

I'm prepared to let the missionaries know that I'm not interested in becoming a mormon and that i'll know how to look them up if need be. Here, I've set myself ready to let them know and they've been sort of subtle in last week or so.Came by once and left vm twice since monday. Haven't heard from them 2day, maybe i won't have to, maybe they've decided to go elsewhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:18PM

More likely they are doing laundry and playing basketball... it's P-Day.

Next time they call or knock make it very clear what you want to happen. They are salesmen, and while you don't owe them any explination or anything, you do need to be direct for your own sanity...
Don't worry if you're not comfortable with confrontation or directness, you'll get plenty of practice turning down missionaries. You'll be doing it for a very long time. They will show up at your door every few months until you move or die.

Yes, they will possibly show up at your door every few months for YEARS... This is how it worked in the two wards I was a ward missionary... what will happen is the Elders that taught you will move on (or go home) and new Elders will come in. There will be a note on a map that you took the discussions and every time they tract your neighborhood those Elders will make a point of knocking on your door. Also, when they go on splits with the ward they will visit you along with "less-actives".

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:44PM

We have at times sent men on missions to get rid of them; but they have generally come back. Some think it is an imposition upon the world to send such men among them. But which is best—to keep them here to pollute others, or to send them where pollution is more prevalent?

Author: Brigham Young
Source: Journal Of Discourses
Volume: 7
Page: 229

Date: March 23, 2011 09:32PM

I know the guys/girls are doing what they are ordered/supposed to be doing, but, I've never liked feeling pressured and now, I feel this will be good. Now they seem to be not as aggressive but, running into them in bookstore,which was coincidental, i believe. I'm waking up @ night thinking about what i almost did and definitely ready to get it out of my mind, altogether.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:21PM

Are you starting to feel any better now, Deb? You seemed to be so shell-shocked after finding out what Mormonism really was, as opposed to what you thought it was when you started investigating it.

Date: March 23, 2011 11:36PM

I'm feeling "safer" now. It's different than i believed. tk. goodness for computers and the internet. still wake up s'times not believing it. can't believe i almost went for it. still s'what "shocked" and even upset that I almost went in for the swim and see now i would've drowned. The missionaries, as you've noticed are still coming, vm, me. Coincidentally i ran into them @ the local bookstore. Yesterday, I saw a member of the ward, who is a teacher @ bookstore, but i don't think she noticed me,neither of us acknowledged the other.(they are just being more subtle)

Date: March 24, 2011 10:50AM

one more thing i've wondered and often is when they do stop by, why isn't there some kind of a "card" or note left. most of the time you get a knock but then no notes, etc. (loan sharks, etc. do not leave anything) oh well.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:08AM

Date: March 24, 2011 11:27AM

ao, i guess that they are trained @ MTC that as well, huh?? wow.

Date: March 24, 2011 05:24PM

heard from them today. left vm and then text. you know it makes me think of another site i'd been to where the missionaries spoke of their mission. They stated every 48 hrs. they'd call back w/their "I care about you" callback. It's always how are u doing. They are coming by this afternoon and i told them they could. I'm going to alert them that I'm not interested in lds. faith. Keep y'all posted on how it goes. It'll have to be o.k.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 05:56PM

Good luck deb!

Posted by: flackerman ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 06:07PM

Good luck, be firm and straight with them and end it so they (and yourself) can move on.

Date: March 24, 2011 06:54PM

Here I have told them to come by and have set my mind to let them know, and whalaa they are almost an hour late. oh well. i'll let y'all know how it goes. PLEASEEEEEE no tears.

Date: March 24, 2011 07:13PM

Don't forget to ask them to please respect your decision. You're an adult and your wishes should be respected. You have a right to do what you want to do with your own life, without being handed a guilt-trip.

Date: March 24, 2011 08:55PM

Informed them I wasn't going to join the church. They asked why was there such a changed in my decision just over 4 weeks time then asked could they come by and check on me from time to time. And one of them is going to pray for me. I know they are under pressure by the DL as well as ZL but then again, I can't help it. They should/could be in Hollywood instead of on streets all day.

Date: March 24, 2011 09:17PM

Please tell me you didn't say, "Sure you can come over whenever you want to."

Date: March 24, 2011 09:28PM

Hey Greyfort!!! Crazy maybe, stupid no. I told them I needed my space and it'd be difficult if I couldn't totally be away from the lds. faith, in which I almost joined. But, you know what, that part is "Satan". They are not only salesmen, but, actors as well.

Date: March 24, 2011 09:33PM

LOL No, I'm not thinking stupid at all. Just maybe a little too polite for your own good. But glad to know you can put your foot down when the need arises. :o)

How did you explain your change-of-mind.

Date: March 24, 2011 09:40PM

Tks. much 4 the kind words, and btw, i was still cordial. I informed them i didn't feel as if it is the right thing to do.(that's when "satan" got brought into the equasion. I certainly didn't want to go into a spill. I'm getting prayers, from them. It's sad b/c now they'll catch it b/c i did ask for my privacy. (they didn't ask for books back, i.e. BOM,Gospel Principals, etc.)

Date: March 24, 2011 09:43PM

Maybe work will come soon and i'll be leaving this small town. I've been running into them in book store as well as another member(who didn't notice me)(we didn't exchange hello's)It's just coincidence, i'm certain.

Date: March 24, 2011 09:43PM

One of my Mormon friends likes to tell me that I'm being influenced by Satan every time I don't agree with her, or I'm not saying the things she wants to hear.

I'm only being spiritual when I'm in sync with her thoughts.

Drives me nuts when she does that.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 09:49PM

Any disagreement with a Bishop is always proof positive that the "adversary" has gained power over you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.