Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:22PM

if your ward severed all ties with Salt Lake?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:25PM

Nope.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:25PM

I only went because I thought I had to or go to hell.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:13PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I only went because I thought I had to or go to
> hell.

Same here.

Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:27PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:33PM

I loved my Ward, as I knew those people for 30 years, but, as cl2 mentioned, I only went to church because I thought it was God's church. Once I found out it was a fraud, there really was no point. It's not a social club. It's a way of life, and you're expected to follow the rules.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:35PM

No - I'd be more likely to go to another ward if we moved. Seeing the members attitudes change toward me when I dared to question their precious church - when I went inactive - was like watching Ana on the TV show "V" change from a beautiful woman to a horrifying, fang toothed serpent. After that, you can't buy Ana as a harmless "visitor" from outer space again, no matter how good an act she puts on. That's how I feel about my ward. I can be nice to the people in my ward, but I can never see them the same again.

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:45PM

I could only return to church if I received an unmistakable spiritual witness from God that that's what He wanted me to do. So until that happens, no.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 07:50PM

You needn't go beyond your own ward to get bitten. The hardwood benches are crawling with ratfinks and snakes. Show a little individuality and they strike. You can lick your wounds in the bellhop's office as he threatens a court of "love." Take two callings and wash them down with guilt. You'll feel better in your mourning.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:17PM

I'm long past any desire or need to be involved in organized religion of any sort. There is nothing the LDS Church could ever do to entice me to return.
It's a little like thinking about going back to grade school as a student. It's beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: nodedog ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:28PM

No!

Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:39PM

It would take a big reformation, transparency, accountability to the membership, and other changes in policies and doctrine, also, acknowledgement from the leadership of the lies, and other horrible stuff during its history and current practics to make me even consider returning. I don't see this ever happening. In short, NO!!

Posted by: Sethro ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:12PM

It would take something equal to a dead relation visiting me, as conscious as I am right now, and laying out 'the plan' with Q&A plus witnesses.

Don't see that happening, being faithless and all.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:18PM

Where church meant that we hung out played video games and discussed art, literature, music (mostly metal), comics, science, and politics.

Count my ass in!

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:14AM

Shame on you RJ! You forgot beer!

Date: March 24, 2011 10:53AM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:57AM

O.K. I'll come be your First Counselor, Bishop Jesus.

Date: March 24, 2011 11:22AM

Hell, son. We are starting our own church. I'm the motherfucking prophet. And that's just the start! Wait until I crown myself king of the earth.

But come right along as part of the top 3.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:41PM

I'm liking RJ's idea. I want a social club where religion isn't invited.

Date: March 23, 2011 11:06PM

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:04PM

enough to go for a visit to find out what they were up to. But that's it.

Posted by: Redwing ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:12AM

I did my time, & agree with most of what the others have posted. In fact, I have become a huge skeptic of all religions.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:16AM

... all the wards were turned into sports bars, the stake houses were turned into steak houses that serve beer AND they paid me a million-billion dollars to attend twice a year.

And note that I said "might"

This is the Gospel according to Timothy ... It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going.

Timothy

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:22AM

What ward? I've been gone 30+ years. Heck no.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:24AM

Hell and no.

;o)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:37AM

Back when I was becoming certain that the church was not true I still loved the church. I liked the Ward as my second home. It was the one place where I was treated like I mattered, and it was a place of refuge from home and work.

The hardest part of giving up the church was giving up my ward family, even as twofaced and fairweathered as they were. They were people that were safe to associate with. My previous circle of "friends" involved addiction and fear of raids.

One day when the Bishop had come to my house to attack me for my waning commitment and waxing defiance, I told him- you know, if our ward was to sever all ties to Salt Lake and disavow any association to Brigham Young, I would return tomorrow.

So that is what I was thinking about when I posted this here hypothetical question.

On the other hand, I know what CA Girl means about the masks coming off. The members of my ward love-bombed me when I entered the fold, but carpet-bombed me when I left.

Although I occasionally miss those associations, I know for a certainty that any reunion would be pleasant for about seven minutes.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:47AM

I think it would help if they quit calling it a "CHURCH". If they called it THE "LATTER DAYS MORMON SOCIAL AND BUSINESS CLUB." Maybe that would help.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:04AM

Sacrament Meeting should be named what it really is: Sales Meeting.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:01AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:33PM

The active people in my ward were at home in Mormonism because the church was as boring as they were. Without affiliation with the mother ship, they'd still be boring.

Besides, nothing any ward or the church would do would change me from an atheist.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:36PM

nope. i'm an agnostic who seriously doubts there is anything after we die. religion offers nothing for us except slight warm fuzzies now & then. rather stay at home & play Lego Star Wars with my family eating donuts in our jammies now there are the warm fuzzies.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 01:38PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.