Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 11:29PM

My TBM daughter just called to talk about what we are doing for Christmas eve and Christmas day. In the middle of the conversation she suddenly stopped and said "Oh, I just remembered, we are assigned to clean the church that day."

OMG I cannot believe it. Since Christmas falls on a Saturday this year, someone has to clean the cult's churches on Christmas.

I'm hoping that this continual dump job from the church will cause her to wake up some day. Oh my, how much more obvious does it have to get???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 11:55PM

In mormonism, people serve the church.

Even in my most TBMnitized state, we would not have cleaned it on Christmas or Christmas eve.

How long until people wake up!? This is not a job. It is not a paying job with any sort of priority. It. IS. Only. a Church.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:06AM

Haha, my TBM Aunt tried to get me to clean up after a wedding party at the church.

It was either that, or get all my product order deadlines met for my customers in my home business that day (which I HAD to do, otherwise I would have a bunch of complaints, which is really bad for business).

I told my aunt,

"Well, I'm gonna be VERY busy that day. If you file all my orders on the computer, and get to the post office to mail them all out for me, then I'll I do it. But otherwise-- NO WAY."

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:15AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:15PM

Sheep get sheered. If you surrender your personal sovereignty to someone else, bend over. Since the members can't say no to their authority figures, the authority figures take full advantage and become more greedy.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:40PM

My son was married in a Presbyterian church. He knew the ministers very well because he had been the construction site supervisor when they added on the small chapel he was married in to their larger church. So they said they'd let him use the chapel and they'd marry him for no charge since they thought so much of him. They said, "we might have to charge you a little for the janitorial service unless you know someone who would want to stay for a little bit and run a vacuum."

My son said, "Great, I'll tell (wife's) family to do it, they'll think that's normal. His FIL is a mormon bishop. And sure enough, as soon as the service was over and before going to the restaurant where they had the dinner, FIL and his sons pulled out the vacuum and picked up all the petals, etc. like it was just normal, even though the ministers thought they'd be put out to do that at their own daughter's wedding.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:06AM

It just had that sort of sound to it. The sort of "Oh, I just remembered I have to trim my dog's toenails that day" vibe.

There is a part of me that can't believe even TSCC would do something like that, but there is a bigger part of me that believes TSCC would do exactly that.

Date: December 02, 2010 12:13AM

No she is 100% serious.

In true TBM fashion she said "Well, maybe we can get out of it and trade with someone else in the ward." In my true believer days I would have tried to trade someone or faked an illness or acted like I just forgot.

We told her that it was a ridiculous request that anyone should have to clean the church Christmas day. I hope it gets her to thinking about what is going on.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:53PM

...that it's a ridiculous request. Sometimes I think that it's perfectly okay to say, "Have you lost your mind?"

Maybe she should rewatch the movie, "A Christmas Carol" (or, "Scrooge".) Hello, under-payed, over-worked, much-abused Bob Cratchit!

Posted by: bennymo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:54AM

Cleaning shitty toilets in the church on Christmas day? Does that mean you get like quadruple blessings?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:13AM

Some people just don't learn to stand up for themselves until expectations get really outrageous.

I speak as a former doormat.

I didn't learn to stand up for myself until someone REALLY pissed me off.

Maybe this will be the thing that pushes them one step closer to the door.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:00PM

It's a good thing I'm out because I would clean the church building with about five gallons of gasoline and a match. Vacant lots are less maintenance.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:30PM

How about having services on Christmas Eve and Christmas day like normal churches?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:34PM

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:36PM

In fact, if Christian's were going to clean something on Christmas, it would be the home of an elderly person, or someone whose mobility is impaired, or a homeless shelter, etc.

But NO. Mormons had to fire all of their custodial employees and then make their TITHE-PAYING members do all of the work. It's revolting.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:14PM

You know, it'd be one thing if it was just a tiny local church with no money for custodial services, but the LDS Church can AFFORD such services.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:26PM

Posted by: badkid ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:39PM

Some dillhole has an article on desnews about the "myth" that Mormons don't celebrate Christmas. Well, if Mormons spend the day doing chores at church, I don't know what the heck he means by "celebrate."

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:40PM

Yer shittin' me, right? Please return and report if she actually does that on Christmas.

Ron

Date: December 02, 2010 02:17PM

I have a hard time believing that her ward really is that clueless, but she is dead serious that she had to sign up for that day.

We shall see what happens.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:01PM

So are there any cases of scheduled cleaning on Joe Smith's birthday?

Posted by: savagestarlight ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:07PM

Simone Stigmata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My TBM daughter just called to talk about what we
> are doing for Christmas eve and Christmas day. In
> the middle of the conversation she suddenly
> stopped and said "Oh, I just remembered, we are
> assigned to clean the church that day."
>
> OMG I cannot believe it. Since Christmas falls on
> a Saturday this year, someone has to clean the
> cult's churches on Christmas.
>
> I'm hoping that this continual dump job from the
> church will cause her to wake up some day. Oh my,
> how much more obvious does it have to get???

Christmas falls on a Friday this year, not a Saturday. Would that change things?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:39PM

I smelled the smells

On Smithmas Day

Them old familiar poopstains play....

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 06:40PM

Actually if she does clean the morg's chapel, it'll be on December 26. Christmas is on Friday this year.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 07:03PM

That's Boxing Day for all you limeys.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 07:21PM

I guess they actually feel like it is God's house they are cleaning.
What better day to perform a lowly service for Jesus than to clean his house for him on his Bday?
That's EXTRA special!
(Good thing he isn't still living in a manger.)

(Well, I'm ~trying~ very hard to see why she thinks that is OK.)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 07:21PM

Jingle Smells

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 07:26PM

LOL.
Dammit donbagley! I can't help myself....

Oh Little Town of Bath-le-hem

I'm Dreaming of a (Clorox) White Christmas

I Heard the Flush on Christmas Day

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 10:04PM

and so my plans for the conquest of planet Mirth go forward.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 09:58PM

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 10:05PM

And the original post is from 2010.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 12, 2015 10:07PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.