Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 11:26AM

Do you remember being taught at Church or Seminary this planet (Earth) was the most wicked of all the other planets God had created? Jesus was sent to this planet because it was the only planet wicked enough to kill their God. I also remember being taught the death of Jesus was for all the planets God had or will create.

I know the Church no longer teaches such rublish but assume it was true - the people of the other planets must be docile cows. God has to keep them hidden from earthlings.

When did this major belief get "forgotten"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 11:29AM

No idea when the teaching became inconvenient. But I'm just confirming this teaching about this being the most wicked planet in God's creations was also taught to me.

Just in case some nice young TBM is reading and thinks you are crazy.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 11:37AM

Moses 7:36 ?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:55PM

Says it right there. Now let some dumb shit seminary teacher or Sunday School teacher begin perpetuating that garbage and there it is.

Maybe Mormon's are the most wicked of God's children, but leave all non-TBM's out of the mix.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 05:35PM

This is what it says on "Go Ask Gramps".
(I always think of "Give Me Cramps" for some reason.)

http://askgramps.org/3958/does-atonement-jesus-christ-apply-all-people-on-all-worlds

If you want a real TBM response, Gramps is your man. Like his response to paying tithing on your retirement funds - awful!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 11:50AM

I still can't believe the load of bull shit we were given,

and we believed !!!!!! Yuck.

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:12PM

I well remember seminary teachers imparting this wisdom. I had a hard time swallowing it as a teenager. Too bad I didn't listen to my gut and get the hell out of there.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:15PM

I know huh !!!!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:37PM

Well, the Krell aren't aren't around any more, so that just leaves us and our Id monsters...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 08:11PM

"Forbidden Planet" was cool. Way ahead of its time.

Mormonism is messed up.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 09:08PM

$14.95 DVD, on Amazon. I saw it live in the theatre, the El Portal, in 1956. Scared the crap out of me.

The greatest monsters are the ones inside us.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:40PM

I remember Mormons both teaching and proving that.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 12:49PM

Yup and the super-extra righteous spirits are the one sent here, because we were strong enough in the pre-existence to withstand the evils of this world.

Explaining all of this to nevermos is a real hoot these days.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:02PM

I learned a similar concept, but it was about the Jews. Specifically, I learned that the Jews were the only people in the universe who were so hardened that they would kill the savior. So, at least based on my experience, people of Jewish descent can be added to the long list of groups maligned by tscc.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 04:47PM

I remember that too.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 08:51PM

That's straight out of the Book of Mormon:

"3 Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ—for in the last night the angel spake unto me that this should be his name—should come among the Jews, among those who are the more wicked part of the world; and they shall crucify him—for thus it behooveth our God, and there is none other nation on earth that would crucify their God.
"4 For should the mighty miracles be wrought among other nations they would repent, and know that he be their God.
"5 But because of priestcrafts and iniquities, they at Jerusalem will stiffen their necks against him, that he be crucified.
"6 Wherefore, because of their iniquities, destructions, famines, pestilences, and bloodshed shall come upon them; and they who shall not be destroyed shall be scattered among all nations." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 10:3 - 6)

So, according to the BoM, not only are the Jews the most wicked nation on earth, but it is for this reason that they have suffered so much.

The BoM is full of anti-Semitism.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 09:55PM by lurking in.

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 09:28PM

I feel guilty even writing this, but I remember being taught the reason for the holocaust was that the Jews had murdered Christ. That any justification could be intimidated to justify the holocaust disgusts me. What kind of God would allow such terrible suffering to occur to a people whose ancestors had caused the death of one individual nearly two millennia before? That would be quite the grudge.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 10:19PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 01:13PM

There was a certain ring of truth to that particular notion which is borne out by mankind's chronic obsession with war and retribution.

A dumb explanation for a complex conundrum is par for the course of course.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 03:18PM

You forgot the 'horse' in 'of course of course'!!!

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 02:19PM

Hooray!!! You got that right

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 03:33PM

Wait a minute! The most 'Wicked' planet has a lot of green witches and fabulous musical numbers, doesn't it??

Thank you thank you, I'll be here all week-- and don't forget to tip your waiters.

Posted by: wanderer ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 03:37PM

I remember being taught this in seminary just two years ago, during my last year of high school. Even at that time I thought the whole idea was BS and couldn't possibly be true. This teaching is definitely still around, although it probably varies depending on who/where you hear it from.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 07:49PM

This very teaching cracked me out of the cult. I got into astronomy and learned about cosmology and I realized that admitting that there are millions of other worlds out there made it more improbable that Jesus would come to this one. I mean 1 out of a million is pretty tall odds. Then factor in that it is likely that the majority of stars have planets and that 1 out of 1000 of them could have life and then multiply that by 400 million galaxies in the universe and the odds of Jesus living on our planet is more like 1/gazillion. It would be like buying a winning lottery ticket 40 times in a row. Something like that.

So, I'm not saying the church is false, it is just highly unlikely.

Posted by: sunbeamforjesus ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 09:37PM

that means we are the naughtiest children.. *bites finger* YASSS!

Posted by: Jim Barrett ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 10:16PM

Sounds a bit like C.S. Lewis's 'Out of the Silent Planet'.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: December 13, 2015 10:19PM

Only cause a bunch of apes follow their feelings.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 12:21AM

So wait.

Does that mean on some other planets, their version of the church involves a far away alien on another planet that died for their sins?

Man! That sounds so much more awesome than ours.

Posted by: Buddyroe ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 02:33AM

Logical assumptions must be presumed. If earth is the only planet populated by creatures of culpable souls, then we proceed. The existence of evil as experienced by human interaction makes the equation self evident: evil exists, humans participate in evil, therefore humans are (at least in part) evil.

Are there other planets? Yes there are.

Do those planets exhibit natures of good or evil? We don't know and we have no source of knowing.

All other speculations are futile or worse, self serving.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 03:28AM

Remember. Satan was "doing that which is done on other worlds" when he tempted Eve.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 03:30AM

More emotional BLACKMAIL courtesy of the ppl who DEMAND 10% from EVERYONE...

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 11:00AM

They certainly like to pull things out of their arse. Was this taught around the same time as they described the residents of the sun and moon?

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 11:04AM

Oh yes...I remember this very well. 9th grade seminary. My teacher talked about how those from other planets would revere us because we lived on earth. And even made a joke about how we would have shirts that said "I lived on earth."

This isn't being taught any more? Well, God never changes so....wait.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 11:41AM

Actually, the most evil is the planet Bonobo, where both its male and female inhabitants masturbate all day long.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 01:18PM

themaster Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> When did this major belief get "forgotten"?

When saving the planet became important.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.