Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Exmo Aspie ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 03:40PM

Hello again everybody! I have been seeing a trend where the youth of the church are being stripped of their personality, their opinions, their feelings, and their individuality.

So we all know that the Church has already pre-planned the lives of their teenage members. Young women will become the breeding pods for the next generation, and the young men will become the force that will convert the globe to mormonism. Both will pay tithing until they are dead. Repeat the cycle, dispose when no longer becomes useful.

But in order to create this perfect slave, it requires more than just a childhood being raised in mormonism, this requires you to warp this person to the core. Individuality is one of the biggest threats faced by mormonism, especially among their young adults.

I had a lot of friends growing up that were mormons, when i was mormon obviously. They had beautiful personalities, and were wonderful individuals. But as the years progressed we all changed. I obviously started seeing the light, and little by little, made my way to the truth. But my friends, they were twisted, molded, mangled into these little robots. Honestly, I feel like the mormon church stole these people's very souls. I honestly can't differentiate between them anymore. They may look different on the outside, but once you remove skin, bone, and muscle, you will find the same soulless, empty, assembly line, artificial personality.

It is very disturbing. Tyrannical regimes are notorious for this sort of thing. I hold the individuality of people one of the most important things in the Universe as we know it. I believe that stripping a human being of their individuality is one of the greatest crimes that can be committed by humanity.

Now how does the LDS Church actually perpetrate such an evil act. One of the most pivotal parts of an individual's personality is their own personal values and moral compass. When the church does something unethical, people begin to question it because it seems wrong to them. For instance, this new policy change. People felt that it was morally wrong to punish somebody for something they did not do. But that is when the church sweeps down and says it is a message from God on high, and that the prophet has spoken, there is nothing to debate. This causes people who were raised in the church to feel guilty and evil for thinking the way they do.

The next step is to tell them that they must fulfill a higher purpose with the life that they've been given or else punishment of hellfire. So fear is another tactic.

So as we can see Fear and Guilt is huge in mormon youth programming.

As always, discuss this amongst yourselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 03:49PM

I am reading Steven Hassan's Freedom of Mind: helping loved ones leave controlling people, cults and beliefs.
He has some great insights in it. The cult tries to squash the identity of the individual and then replace it with the cult identity. It has been a fairly quick read I am already halfway through.

The three stages that you are seeing and described are Unfreezing, Changing, Refreezing. Part of Kurt Lewin's model of thought reform.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 14, 2015 03:52PM

From reading the mishie blogs of 'devoted' missionaries, I get a big hint at what you're saying; the 'cookie-cutter'ness is palpable.

But then I see this tiny fraction of the missionaries occasionally post a zone or mission conference photo of a 50 to 150 missionaries and in the back rows, I see me... And me, we, vastly outnumber the cookie-cutter missionaries.

Sure would like to read their blogs! Like the kid who was here on Saturday, ready to pack his bags and boogie on out, riding off into the sunset with a friend. (Sure would be nice if the friend was female!) I hope we hear back from him. I want to think that he's in the majority.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: December 16, 2015 02:17AM

The social pressure to conform to the ideal is tremendous. Anything too far outside the mold is a problem and will gain you marginalization or exclusion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.