Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 06:37AM

Of course, we know that the church produced whisky once as a cash enterprise, mostly benefiting Brigham Young, who saw all the church funds as his own. We know that The Brethren drank whisky clear into the 1920s, and that the FLDS still drink alcohol because they split off the LDS church before they made a universal no-alcohol commandment. Anyway, that's where I get real bitchy about Mormonism.

Smoky, heady whisky--straight up--is my favorite hard drink. Lately there have been several articles about the health benefits of whisky, and here's one:

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/whiskey.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 09:26AM

Not that I dislike it but when I drink occasionally one ounce or two I wake up with hangover, granted my body is intolerant to it but when I don't drink I wake up normal.....
Science is not going to endorse whisky drinking for health purposes.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 09:42AM

I think the article has misleading photographs. Whisky only has health benefits when there is no ice present. ;)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 09:47AM

Don't worry, that's a stock photograph, so those ice cubes are plastic props; the whiskey is safe from being watered down.

Posted by: Oldie ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 10:06AM

While many can imbibe alcoholic beverages without problems and can manage the drinking - some of us cannot.

Coming from a family with major league alcoholics on both sides, I won't touch the stuff. Watched 7 relatives, icluding parents - die from alcoholism. I won't take the chance I have that weakness.

Nothing to do with religion, just experience.

Date: December 17, 2015 12:45PM

Alcoholism is kind of weirdly selective. My father was alcoholic, but I have no alcoholic tendencies. I like to drink occasionally, but have never been drunk. I've only been kind of slightly buzzed, at which time I've quit so it wouldn't go farther. I've also never driven in any kind of buzzed state. My father sometimes would stumble and crawl out to the car, get in, and drive away. He was jailed at least twice for it, one time for months.

DW's Mormon brother died from alcohol and drug induced stroke. He was also a severe case. I have three kids who drink, and none has any addictive tendencies so far, and I'm hoping that none ever turns that direction.

Moderate drinking is actually good for you, and yes, it's the alcohol. And as the article says, it's nice to have a drink of whisky after a stressful day. Just an ounce really helps bring you down from the ceiling and into reality.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 01:08PM

Alcoholism is linked to genetic predispositions.

One of the more common misunderstandings about genetics is a very linear understanding of the interaction. Most people understand that having the gene means you will exhibit the trait.

This is not the case. Genes are turned on and off by several different processes. There are many triggers that can turn these genes on. The turning on and/or off of the gene may take a few minutes or in some cases it can be passed onto the next generation (epigenetics).

The core understanding of genetics is that Genotype x environment = phenotype or G x E = P. The expression of any gene depends upon the genetics and the environment. A good example for many of you is a corn field. In today's world a variety of hybrid corn that you see in the field is 99.99% genetically similar. But if you look over a field you can see in dry area's the corn is very short. In area's where fertilizer is short they can be yellow or misshapened.

You may have the exact same genes that you father had for alcoholism. However you might have never triggered the dependency genes by repeatedly over-imbibing. You could have also inherited tolerance to alcohol on you mothers side.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 01:01PM

You have to be careful with the nutrition pseudo science.

Date: December 17, 2015 01:18PM

Are you kidding? No I don't!

Posted by: Q ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 02:14PM

Hear, hear!! I loved the part when they went into the "nutritional" value and said it was very low in saturated fat.... Ya think?! So is water!!

That one sentence said it all for me about the validity of the article :-). But I Do love good whiskey...it improves my mental health

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 01:48PM

My quest to sample many fine single malt scotch's is not in vain.

RB

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 01:54PM

Such a Nobel quest was never in vain. Health benefits or not.

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 02:05PM

I use one glass of wine before bed to calm down and make it easier to fall asleep. That is far safer than any prescription drugs.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 17, 2015 02:13PM

I think that is great.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.