Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:55PM

It gives TSCC leadership a way out if the rule ever gets too sour.

I can only speculate that several unwritten rules are generated by TSCC leadership, and some later formalized into the CHI.

Same with Rumors, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2011 08:55PM by openeyes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:34PM

One of the reasons the leaders restrict access to the CHI is so the average member never knows the difference between official policy, unwritten rules and total bullshit. They want members to imagine there are far more rules than there are. And they don't want members to be able to call local leaders on their bullshit. Authority must never be questioned, authority must never look bad. Otherwise, they lose control and stature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2011 09:35PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 10:50PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 10:59PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:20AM

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:43AM

So I should expect to be excommunicated because I am getting baptized in another church this Sunday?

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 04:14PM

They won't unless you let them know that you have been rebaptized elsewhere. I mean, if you believe in another church enough to be re-baptized there, it's pretty obvious that you no longer believe in Mormonism, right?

I'd resign today if I were you....thus avoiding the gossip about being "ex-ed".

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 06:12PM

Try to stay low key, under the radar. If you make an issue about your new church and discuss beliefs with your former ward members, then chances are you will get called into the BP's office and have a nice chat with him.

Yes, joining another church is now grounds for excommunication. Excommunications suck the BIG one.

Be prepared for the visit to the BP by knowing in advance whether you would be willing to renounce your new membership in the other church when asked. If you choose to remain with your new church, then you will need to stand your ground with your bishop.

Again, if you can stay under the radar, you should be OK. Unfortunately, gossip abounds and people have nothing better to do than to wear out the carpet to the bishop's office.

I will be joining the Lutheran church the last Sunday in April. Finally, the Moron church has something they can excommunicate me for. Morons!

P.S. Tell them to suck eggs!

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 06:49PM

I have not kept it a secret...I am positive they know. I just have not sent in a resignation because of my husband and children. In all reality, I guess it does not matter but I would rather resign than be ex'd.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 08:54PM

I was ex'd in 1975 for joining another religion - that was the main reason listed on my letter. A secondary reason was that I "refused to entertain the bretheren in my home" (i.e., I wouldn't let them in my house). That was it!

Very serious allegations!!

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:15AM

As a member I noticed the divide between unspoken rules (culture, which can of course all be blamed on the members) and the handbook. I had to bust out a conference quote once to show my bishop why no member should have a fourth calling. At the time, this was very controversial because of course callings are inspired, right?

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 10:18AM

TBMs just follow their leaders. I don't think any of them know that they can see the CHI upon request. I would demand an official explanation for anything I viewed as odd or stupid. Eventually the bishop would just stop asking them to do stupid things b/c there is always someone less demanding when it comes to the truth.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 11:26AM

listing them. You can find it here:

http://emp.byui.edu/huffr/The%20Unwritten%20Order%20of%20Things%20--%20Boyd%20K.%20Packer.htm

Only mormonism would have to list all the "unwritten" rules, under the force of an apostle's address, to keep the flock in line.

Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 08:09PM

My favorite part of the BKP talk:

"When the family insists that several family members speak in a funeral, we hear about the deceased instead of about the Atonement, the Resurrection, and the comforting promises revealed in the scriptures."

Oh the horror! Hearing about the deceased at their own funeral!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 25, 2011 02:16AM

I released myself from one calling - just by saying not to expect me back any more, and turned down at least two others, with a flat-out "NO."

When I thought about it later, I wondered briefly if I should have at least thanked them for their consideration, but I didn't fret much about it.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 07:08PM

Fuck the unwritten rules.

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: March 24, 2011 08:49PM

And fuck the written rules too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.