Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 02, 2016 10:23PM

For the past four years I've been researching preschools (mostly that are in Mormon women's basements), gleaning all I can from websites and blogs found from Internet searches. I chose one for my eldest and wasn't too happy with the teachers' lack of education and experience although the school had the qualities I was looking for.

I found another preschool for my second-born that I love. It's not perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons. The first year there is going okay, but for some reason I can't commit to enrolling my child there for the second year.

It's like I enjoy this quest of finding the perfect preschool (and don't want it to end); or the grass is greener on the other side; or I just can't make up a decision. Probably some of all above.

They are all fine schools and all provide adequate foundation for entering kindergarten. The preschools I'm personally looking at are very similar, a reason why it's hard to decide based solely on a pro/con list.

I'm just concerned why I'm agonizing over this decision and why I seem to not be able to stop talking about it with my spouse, family members and friends. Do I just need a hobby? Or do I *need* to have other people make decisions for me (a common occurrence within tscc, perhaps learned from being raised Mormon)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2016 12:16AM

Have you prayed about it? (he asked, facetiously...)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:48AM

I taught preschool through primary grades for many years and had to choose schools for my own children. I'd like to reassure you to trust your judgment and not worry so much. There will always be pros and cons and kids will adjust. Try to relax because that makes for a happy enriching environment for your children who will grow up and get along well in any school that you as a caring parent will choose for them.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 01:56PM

That helped a lot. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 05:59PM

Since you have gone through the evaluation process and made a rational choice, I would stick with it unless another alternative is *clearly* better. There is no such thing as a "perfect" school. Ask any teacher. ;)

What I would want from a preschool is a school that is structured, that teaches children how to follow directions, that has a range of activities including painting, singing, finger-play, pasting, sorting, and cooking, that teaches children how to get along with others, and that fosters both small motor skills along with gross motor skills. I would be less concerned about academics at that age, although some academic skills (i.e. identifying colors) would be appropriate. You also want to make sure that the teacher reads aloud a picture book to the kids at least once every day. This teaches kids important pre-literacy skills such as directionality of print, expressive and fluent reading, enjoyment of reading, etc. I would be wary of any program that gives kids constant work sheets or coloring sheets. JMO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 06:10PM by summer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 06:15PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.