Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 07:44PM

Scientology is Mormonism's evil twin.

Everyone should see this HBO documentary!

My Mormon relatives are going to see this, after their Mormon conference is over.

I will wonder, wonder, wonder, if they will be able to see the similarities between the two cults. There are too many parallels, for anyone to be able to ignore them all.

I swear, add a few strobe lights and a giant picture of Joseph Smith to the Mormon General Conference, and you've got a Scientology meeting.

"(Scientology) Church revenue has gone up, yet membership has gone down." Yet the Scientology leader lies that their membership numbers are galactic. Also, Scientologists at least pay their workers a few dollars, whereas Mormons pay their workers nothing; in fact, the workers often pay the church! Slick, slimy cults.

At the end, when the former Scientologists said how ashamed they were, how stupid they felt, how hard it is being shunned--the ex-Mormons watching all said, "Yes! That's exactly how we feel!"

After Easter, I want to see what other people have to say about this documentary. Unlike the Mormons, we are going to celebrate Easter all day Sunday.

Happy Easter! Happy Spring!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 04, 2015 07:47PM

My DW and I watched that last night and she said at one point that it literally sent chills up her spine.

The parallels are amazing. But I'm betting they are lost on most Mormons who see the film.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 08:30AM

There is an interesting parallel between the Sea Org and the Mormon Missionary program.

The Mormon uniform just so happens to be a suit, tie, and Elder name plate...

I got nasty chills down my back when I say those flags during Miscaviage'speech...so like the Nazis and we know the Mormon's history with them.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 09:04AM

Like Mormons, they want to emphasize how international they are and how global their reach. Both are American cults with foreign subsidiaries, but both want to pretend they are international.

You don't see Catholics, who are truly global, showing their global reach. Instead, they emphasize unity in the Vatican.

Date: April 05, 2015 09:57AM

True.

It is interesting how one of the interviewees commented that when good things happen to you, it is because of Scientology (replace with Mormonism or the Church) and when bad things happen to you, its because you messed up.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 09:02AM

The parallels between LRH and JS are uncanny, but many cult founders are like that. They are seekers and innovators who find followers willing to do whatever nutty thing they come up with.

The unique thing about Mormonism, Scientology and Islam are the empire builders who come after them. Abu Bakr, Brigham Young and David Miscavige were all followers of their prophet, but not the obvious successor. They chased out their rivals, developed a cult of personality around their founder even while changing much of what they taught, and then embarked on building large terrestrial empires in the name of the dead leader. They were ruthless in their empire building. Abu Bakr spread Islam through conquest. BY moved them to the desert and was ruthless in his governance. DM is notoriously abusive to his staff, even senior members.

The reason these 3 cults survived their nutty founders, unlike so many other founders, is that their successors built empires on top of what they started. Otherwise, they would have faded like the Shakers or so many other faddish sects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 09:03AM by axeldc.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 10:06AM

Great insight.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 12:51PM

Those are three religions I particularly despise. Thanks for connecting them as the empire builders that they are. Each of them was usurped by a petty tyrant, it seems. I didn't know that until now.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 07:05PM

I noted in those video clips of Miscavige and Tom Cruise together that Cruise was about 3-4 inches taller than Miscavige. Cruise is 5'7". That would make Miscavige around 5'3".

Looks like a case of "little man syndrome" to me.

I'm disturbed that larger men like Marty Rathburn and Mike Rinder ever let Miscavige push them around for even one minute. But then again, I'm 6'3" and 290 pounds, so maybe that's just me. I'd squash that little head like a peach.

Date: April 05, 2015 07:43PM

Yeah. Cruise is more like 5 6. Miscavige is 5 1.

This is why they need uniforms and big medals

Tiny men syndrome.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 08:13PM

I saw it too and thought The CULT was exactly the same as Scientology in terms of completely F*CKED up.
I wish the maker of GOing Clear would make a film on the CULT and put it on cable like the Scientology one.

Posted by: straightoutacumorah ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 08:39PM

I just watched going clear a few days ago. I was amazed at both how much like mormonsim it was (seeing a clip of them telling their members to stay away from the internet was a real kick) AND just how much that Miscavige @sshole reminded me of Briggy Young. I would love to watch going clear with a room full of TBM's to see how they took it.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 10:30PM

Is it on YouTube yet???

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: April 05, 2015 11:25PM

I just watched an old Scientology orientation/propaganda/book commercial film. Geezy Peezy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMn3FeJEdEc

I especially LOVED these inspiring words toward the end.

"If you leave this room after seeing this film and walk out and never mention Scientology again, you would be perfectly free to do so . . . it would be stupid, but you could do it. You can also dive off a bridge or blow your brains out. That is your choice. BUT, if you don’t walk out that way, if you continue with Scientology, WE will be very happy with you, and . . .YOU will be very happy with you. You will have proven that you are a friend of yours."

Posted by: goodeye ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 09:41PM

Part of me doubted they would actually say that.

That said, holy crap I can't believe they actually said that! lol

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: April 06, 2015 04:22AM

If you were enthralled by the documentary, PLEASE read the book! It goes into MUCH more detail about the horrific ways the members are treated and how much it costs, in both money and well-being, to be OT.

I thought the documentary was WAY too easy on the cult. I've watched friends get all the way to OT VIII and be broke, and STILL taking auditing and paying everytime someone calls for money. Which is about 4X a week...seriously. If you don't answer the phone, they come to your house to ask you what you can sell, what can you do without, etc. to give them money for a new ORG, or program.

Ironically enough, all books you buy, the auditing sessions etc. are tax deductible! The celebrities are treated completely different than the public and "wogs" (also called "Raw Meat"- non-scientologists).

The book was awesome and the documentary was just a shadow, albeit an interesting one, of the the truth.

Interesting coincidence - LRH once convinced his ship's crew that he had memories of burying gold during previous lifetimes, and they would go on shore and look for the buried treasure. They never found any, but once they found a trench and he said that was the "proof" that his gold had been there! JS would have been proud...

Posted by: provoisboringhell ( )
Date: April 06, 2015 06:41AM

I agree, even though I have not seen the documentary. I don't support subscribing to HBO for political objection reasons.

I've read on Scientology for a long time, and it is definitely parallel to the Mormon Church as de facto cult.

The catch is, if you want to see the finely produced documentary, as Alex Gibney is known for, on the Mormon Church in its origins that must include Sidney Rigdon, a true founder of the cult, it will need to be adequately funded for the professional production and polish. Maybe an online crowdfunding will do, but there is a limited public interest by the non-Mormon.

Rigdon stole Manuscript Found written by someone named Solomon Spaulding in a post office and developed a religious document using the stolen manuscript as a template, until he met Joseph Smith hot off his arrests and convictions for fraud and the rest is history.

If I win the mega lottery (whatever the odd is), I will organize to finance the documentary film, even becoming a filmmaker myself (I have on-line editing expertise). The documentary should be long, like three hours, yet should be riveting and not as dry as PBS type documentary.

As of now, the Mormon cult has a psychological aftereffect on me. I recently had a fallout with the TBM parents and I decided that I have no choice but to disconnect by cutting them off from my life. They mistreated me, the first-born, with their neglect and pathological attitudes while I grew up with four other siblings.

I'm moving out of Utah after my court case is resolved. Mormon Church is as evil as Scientology.

All this evil cult needs is a documentary expose, in multilanguage translations with advertising, that will destroy the foundations.

I am gratified to know the conversation rate is almost stagnating, no doubt because of the Internet. It is my hope the Mormon cult will cease to exist in a few decades (probably a century) with old adherents passing away and the young generations knowing the truth to abandon.

The problem is intergenerational indoctrination to enslave the young people to perpetuate child-bearing to rear within the cult. That needs to stop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 07:10AM by provoisboringhell.

Posted by: Breasonable ( )
Date: January 04, 2016 11:21PM

I am just going through the process of realizing the paralles myself. It never dawned on me until just how much the mormon missionary program is like the Sea Org. We are told it will be the best and most imlortant two years of our life and then we go out and incarcerate ourselves mentally and somewhat physically(no music, activity,or media unless it's Church approved)I went insane on my mission, nearly killed myself, the churches claim that you must always improve and repent destroys one psychologically. I can name atleast 3 former missionaries besides me who lost their minds on their missions. The Church manages to never tell you about them just like they never tell you about Fanny Alger or JS's damn rock in a top hat.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: January 05, 2016 04:36PM

I recently read a book by Jenna Miscavige Hill called Beyond Belief My Secret Life Inside Scientology. As a child her parents put her in a Scientology bootcamp. She tells the horrors of the sea organization. So similar but so much more shocking than tssc. How can people in that cult believe that stuff

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 02:38AM

That image is just so awesome cricket!

Posted by: InstructionalLOA ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 04:28AM

I'll watch it when I have the chance :-) Ever since leaving Mormonism, I've developed more or less a fascination with cults.

Thinking about starting my own so this should be good for pointers.

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 11:58PM

I was riveted thru that whole show. Then made the husband watch it with me again. We both were just looking at each other like "wooooooow".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.