Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2016 10:39PM

I always considered myself to have come home a month early, with the church's encouragement, to get into the Y and thus not give the draft a chance to grade me as 1A.

But I came across a story by an elder who served in the early 80s, in which he mentioned that his mid-term date was one year after he entered the MTC, leaving him exactly one more year to serve.

Back in the mid-60s, our two year missions did not begin until we reached our assigned country. I entered the LTM the first week of June, 1965, and went home a month 'early', in September of 1967, having arrived in Mexico in October of 1965, after four months in the LTM, the extra month because of visa waiting.

Anyone know when they eased up on the missionaries?

Also, before the LTM, when missionaries went directly from the SLC mission home to their country, was extra time tacked on for learning the language?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 10:23AM

I was Munich 1978-1980. Entered LTM (old days) July 1978. Got home July 1980. Two months in the LTM were considered part of the two years.

Previously, English speaking was 2 years, European language was 2 1/2 and Eastern (Japanese, Chinese, etc.) was 3 years. And you left when you were 20.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 10:51AM

At one point they dropped it to 1 1/2 years for everyone...that didn't last long though...I think that was in the 80's.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 11:22AM

In 1969, my 2 years began with 2 months in the Provo LTM, followed by just 22 months in France.

My 2nd companion (1968-70) bragged to me that he was serving 2 months at the LTM , PLUS 24 full months in France.

So apparently the change happened in 1968 or 1969.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 01:55PM

Thanks for giving it a timely bracket there, PapaKen!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 11:56AM

I was in the LTM in summer of 1969 on my way to Argentina and the two months in the LTM were part of the two years. You could still extend if you wanted to and stay up to six months (I think). A lot of elders said they were going to extend in the beginning, but none did. By the end, even those who really wanted to impress everyone with their extreme dedication decided they just wanted "outathere."

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 12:24PM

I went to Chile in 76 entered the LTM it was on campus at BYU the new MTC was not built yet. I entered in June of 76 came home June of 78 my two years included my time in the LTM.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 01:51PM

My brother in law left in 72; 22 months in country, 2 months LTM
Was the same for me in 77.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: January 09, 2016 09:04PM

It kicked off in January 1971. I was a part of it. Before that, it was 2 years for English/native language, 2.5 years if there was no language training, and 2 years 3months if there was a "language training mission" (LTM). There was an LTM for Spanish, German, Portuguese, French, and Navajo. I got called for 2.5 years to Italy, but in January they started an LTM for all languages, and I was among the first missionaries getting Italian training.

Posted by: anon-b ( )
Date: January 10, 2016 01:19PM

When I left in April 1969 the term for foreign missionaries for whose missions there was an LTM -- language Training Mission -- the term was two years. The time spent at the LTM was included within the 2 year term.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.