Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:00PM

I hope everyone here is well. I have been very busy and happily non-religious and not even giving much thought to Mormonism, a great feeling, until today. My nine year old son received a personal letter from a former gal I visit taught. Of course I opened and read the letter (my son is a young minor). Apparently this woman is his new Primary teacher and wants to get to know her class. We haven't been to church in two years and this son is unbaptized. I am mostly bugged that this lady hasn't spoken to me in two years and now she wants to be part of my son's life?! No thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:05PM

Someone needs to make a big stink about adults in the church contacting children personally. This is inappropriate on so many levels!
Keep the letter and contact your newspaper and see if they will run an article on this kind of inappropriate behavior.
No adult has any right to contact a child (minor) about church or anything else.
Contact the parent, but not the child.
I'd be fuming!

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:06PM

Date: January 14, 2016 07:16PM

That's a great idea. Sadly, I recycled it. It was just an impersonal form letter anyway. I just wonder what this lady is thinking? I haven't spoken to her in at least a year. Maybe I shouldn't have waved to her as we were walking home from school.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:24PM

Just kidding but tell her you are gay and your spouse and you don't think it would be a good idea to conflict your child with a primary class that promotes hate.

Date: January 14, 2016 07:28PM

While I may not be gay, it still pisses me off that they are so anti-gay. Maybe I should send an impersonal letter expressing this and send it out to the missionaries and annoying members.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 12:26AM

"I just wonder what this lady is thinking?"

That she was thinking at all, is a generous assumption.
TBMs are discouraged from practicing thought in any form.

"Pray Pay Obey"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 09:39PM

Tell them that you and your new wife are thrilled to hear from her!

ETA: ah phooey... I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 09:44PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:05PM

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:06PM

Like when you break up with someone and they won't leave you alone. You have moved on but the morg just can't let go. I believe it is called stalking. Very annoying.

Date: January 14, 2016 07:12PM

Great analogy!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 08:23PM

That's what it is, stalking. There are plenty of exmos who would love to leave the church, and leave it alone, but the church is like the scary ex who won't leave THEM alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 08:23PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:53PM

They did that with my daughter when she was yet a junior in high school, only daughter was directing her mail go to the young women's leader's house so I wouldn't get wind she was going behind my back to apply to BYU Provo. They were in cahoots together.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. My daughter had a severe learning disability diagnosed her junior year of high school, and had blacking out spells both in high school and later in college. I wasn't going to let her move to Utah at least not let her decide that while she was still a minor under my roof. My health insurance provided her with excellent coverage here, not in Utah. And if there was an emergency I wouldn't have been able to get there fast enough.

When she was an undergrad she was rushed to the hospital by ambulance once, and I was called to be there to drive her home. Another time I had to drive her myself to the ER for another episode. For the women from the LDS church to go behind my back like they did made me livid. That was why I resigned my membership when I did.

Fast forward ten years (almost,) and what next happens? The same bishop and his wife who were complicit with my daughter and her mail from high school secretly harbored her in their home for SIX months without my knowledge - I had no clue daughter was there until I hired a private detective to help me locate her. She wasn't LDS at that time, but they were doing that to get back at me for leaving when we did years before. Bishop invoked clergy/parishioner confidential privacy privilege. An attorney later told me that only applies if the parishioner is the same religion. My daughter is/was Jewish at that time.

Sons of bitches. Walk softly, Brandywine, and carry a big stick. Give em hell, and make no apologies. Better to do it now than lament later that you didn't do something.

Those people will do anything to separate your child from you. Don't let them near him.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:59PM

but it was ward members who went behind my back. And I'm still paying the price. They also contacted her many times as a teenager, but at that time, she wasn't interested, but obviously they got to her later.

The singles ward men keep coming by to try to talk to my 30-year-old son. They were just by last week. I kind of chuckled and said, "He doesn't want to talk to you." They kept pushing and I just said, "He isn't interested in mormonism. He just hasn't resigned like I have." They then said to tell him they stopped by. I told him what happened and we both laughed.

He would have "killed" me if I had called him to the door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 07:59PM by cl2.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 07:55PM

something else happens. This gay thing has really gotten under my skin and, just when it had died down some, there it is in my face again all week.

I have finally decided I'll always have issues with the lds church.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 09:13PM

I had finally felt free from them until they harbored my daughter like they did right before she disappeared to Israel. It's been a never ending nightmare for me.

I've had to let it go. A woman from synagogue (a Cuban convert to Judaism,) shared with me that my daughter's issues aren't about me at all. She is on her own soul journey, and I'm not responsible for her decisions. She has to make her own, and I'm responsible only for mine.

That was freeing to hear! She recommended a Jewish book that changed her life, titled "Garden of Emunah," it goes into detail about our reasons for our earthly lives, and some about reincarnation. The lessons we don't learn in this one, we're bound to repeat in another lifetime.

We're each on our own private journey, apart from and including our own family. That helps her to cope with her non-Jewish husband, her autistic twin sons, and her very energetic daughter that is the spitting image of her mama. :)

Posted by: The Tare ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 08:20PM

If it makes you feel better she might have sent that out to the entire class and he was just on the list?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 10:57PM

The Tare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it makes you feel better she might have sent
> that out to the entire class and he was just on
> the list?

That was my conclusion also. The Primary teacher, unaware of the circumstances of those to be in her class, sent out a mailing to all of them. It might have been OK if all of the children were members, but even then, it's not appropriate.
The mail needed to be addressed to the minor % of the parent . And they needed to update their records. The teacher had an obligation to find out who the students were also.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 11:09PM

The local high school here in a major city in the Central Time Zone ALWAYS sends mail to the 'Parents of' student name. But if you're Mormon, that protocol does not apply?

JAR

Date: January 16, 2016 01:27AM

Except that she knows us. I visit taught the lady and live two streets down.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 09:04PM

(missed you posting, cousin, and was wondering if you were ok!)

We continually see stories here about mormons contacting non-baptized kids directly, bypassing the parents. What part of that being wrong don't they get???

Sheesh.

Date: January 16, 2016 01:28AM

I've missed you too Kolob. Live has been super hectic but all's well. How are you?

Date: January 16, 2016 01:29AM

Mormons don't get much, apparently.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 10:35PM

I, also, will always have issues with the Mormon cult. You can't change the past, and I can't white-wash history, like the Mormons want us to.

The cult stalked my children for 11 years. The first year was the worst, so we resigned, and that stopped 80% of the confrontations. Still, Mormon neighbors would come over into my front yard, when I would be gardening, and demand to know my children's new addresses. I would repeat, every time, "I will not give out my children's personal information, without their consent."

The singles did stalk my sons, by ringing my doorbell late at night, to ask if my son wanted to play basketball, and again for him to be on their baseball team. My sons told me to tell them they had joined the Lutheran church. I think that worked.

If you do attend another church, that's the easiest way out--to just tell them you have joined another church. That is grounds for excommunication, and if the Mormons threaten that, you may be forced to quickly resign.

You can resign for your minor children, too. My children and I all resigned in the same letter, and I had them sign their names, though I don't think that was necessary. They were very happy to leave the cult! The adult priesthood leaders had bullied my boys for years, and the bishop's hideous oldest son tried to molest my 11-year-old girl at a campout.

It is upsetting for me to see the Mormon freely solicit my grandchildren. Their parents are Mormons, although their mother is secretly Atheist. The Mormon neighbors and the Mormon grandparents literally hounded the oldest to get baptized at 8. They would come to the door with little notes, invitation, and gifts for the child. I would say, "No, I won't give this to my grandchild--children should not be directly solicited--but I will give it to the parents."

The worst thing about the Mormon cult is the way the members and their doctrines disrespect and abuse others--especially children.

Heaven help us, if we let them get away with that. Heaven help us if we ever think what JS did was "OK." Then, we have gone to the Dark Side!

Date: January 16, 2016 01:31AM

I think I need to send her a letter. Thanks for the encouragement.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 11:27PM

In fairness to the teacher, my guess is that she thought she was doing something nice that the kids in her class might like. Kids like to get mail. When I taught school, I sent a postcard to my students at the beginning of the year to introduce myself.

It sounds like this teacher is just a little clueless. It probably never dawned on her that what she was doing is inappropriate. Maybe this could be an opportunity to politely educate this Primary teacher. Maybe make a phone call or send an email with the following message:

"I'm sure you meant well with the letter that you sent my son, but I am uncomfortable when adults contact my children without my permission. We no longer attend the LDS church and I like to control the religious message that is taught in our home."

I'm sometimes surprised at the things that Mormons do, but then I remember that I used to do some of those things myself. Sometimes we just have to take a minute and have a polite conversation to educate and establish boundaries. If the boundaries are then not respected, we have every right to let them have it.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 15, 2016 12:01AM

Adults should not contact children without parental permission on ANY topic. I would imagine that the local pedophile would love to contact children. JS did.

Want2bx - this is a good point. But, if an adult wants to send mail to a child, that mail/letter to the child should be INSIDE of a letter to the parent(s). Then the parents may choose to or not choose to give the letter to the child.

Most Morons have NO boundaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 12:02AM by verilyverily.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.