Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 03:44PM

Had this thought today. How many stories have you heard about bishops and other church authorities counselling abused spouses NOT to leave their abusers (I've heard/seen quite a few) and how many stories of TBM spouses being counselled TO leave their exmormon spouses?

I just realized how evil that is and had to share. To essentially label a difference of opinion on faith as a crime far worse than spousal abuse is quite sickening...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 03:50PM

I would have have seen some serious anecdotal evidence to come to that conclusion, personally.

I know many marriages fail, but not sure of how many of them are actually counseled to leave?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 03:56PM

Pot calling kettle black.

The ultimate child abuse: letting parents prod their 2-year-olds to announce "I know the church is twoo."

From GAs to bishops to young parents - ALL are guilty.

I saw the movie Spotlight yesterday. The blame lies ultimately with the CHURCH and its leaders.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 07:32PM

When abuse is simply a favorite tool of the corporation, abuse is no big deal.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 07:47PM

I grew up in an abusive home headed by two temple recommend holders. But I'm the bad guy.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 07:56PM

Same with my marriage. Husband is wife beater and child abuser;I left tscc and they somehow let that sack of shit stay. But I'm the bad guy for leaving church and marriage. You wouldn't believe the amount of TBMs who tried to guilt me into staying in that awful situation. yes, my leaving church was worse than staying and having a great assault record.
Op, you are so right.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 07:58PM

You can repent of abusing people, but if you leave the church, then you are lost forever.

Date: January 14, 2016 06:08PM

Yes but the stories I've heard were about people who were NOT repenting of abuse.

Posted by: itsnottwu ( )
Date: January 11, 2016 08:30PM

And so goes another bullet point under the heading, If it pays, it stays.

They don't care how much anyone suffers, as long as they get their cut. Non-believers who understand the scam, from the inside, are the greatest threat to their bottom line. As true followers of JS, leaders of TSCC show their devotion to his ways.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 14, 2016 05:37PM

This is a beef of mine as well, that'snotmyname.
I know of TBMS who have been abusive in the past, and never "repented" of it but they are still not only accepted but "loved" in Mormon circles.

And I also know other TBMS who are now still perpetrating abuse - yet are doing their damndest to show a positive, sweet, loving face to society and sadly, people (non TBMs and TBMs alike who don't know them very well) are buying it!!!

Yet we exmos are horrible, evil, terrible perps to them.

Their Facebook pictures model them as wonderful, happy lovely people but they are abusers. I really should remove my FB account or them as FB friends, as a show of protest. Let others wonder why we're not on FB with them.

Date: January 14, 2016 06:09PM

I see that a lot too Exmo Mom. It's such a strange reality.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 04:57AM

"sexual sin." She had been raped. He tried to convince her that it was HER fault.

He told her she couldn't take Communion until he felt that she had "purified" herself through fasting, prayer, scripture reading, and more counseling sessions with him.

You know how it is when you don't take communion. Tongues immediately start wagging, wondering what you have done. So she started refusing to go to church at all. You would not believe the absolute HELL that our house became on Sunday mornings. DH tried to force her to go. She absolutely REFUSED, to the point of climbing out her bedroom window and disappearing until long after church began. Now, some 16 years later, she considers herself an atheist, married and divorced, long history of drugs and promiscuity. She is finally beginning to get her life back together.

And we didn't know the source of any of this until many years later, when we finally found out about the sexual predation. And how the bishop punished her for having been victimized.

It is the LAW in this state that any adult, learning about the sexual victimization of a child, is supposed to contact the proper state authorities. But from what I've heard, the bishop's handbook says specifically NOT to do this, regardless of the law.

This bishop is basically a decent guy. But I think he failed to use common sense in not following the law on that one. It seriously derailed our daughter's life, and for the longest time, we had no idea what had happened.

She went from being a sweet and docile little girl to the Teenager from Hell, and we had no idea why. She was doubly victimized, thanks to the church.

Posted by: nobody127 ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 05:32AM

Awful. As if being 13 isn't difficult enough without being raped. I so wish that bishop would have let you know what happened to her so you could have supported her with full knowledge of the trauma she went through. Glad she's doing better now.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 12:19PM

This bishop was not a "decent" guy in any sense of the word.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 08:56PM

I can't believe the bishop didn't bother telling you what happened. That dude is a piece of sh*t!

I am glad your daughter is beginning to get things back together. It is hard to imagine her suffering.

Posted by: suffrin ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 01:16AM

Slumbering Minstrel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe the bishop didn't bother telling
> you what happened. That dude is a piece of sh*t!
>

+++

Makes me wonder who he was protecting.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 12:07PM

"This bishop is basically a good guy."

Are you serious? The guy was a secondary abuser. He didn't only decide not to report it, he blamed a 13 year old for the abuse!

I only hope this is one of those festering sores in his conscience and that it wakes him up at night.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: January 17, 2016 08:46PM

I think sometimes it's part of that delusion that happens when Mormons who attend all their meetings etc. ar told over and over again how special they are. So even if they are mistreating others or misbehaving others, they are deluded enough into believing they are ultra special.

Bad enough to be looked down upon by them etc. but much worse if they are perpetrators physical or sexual abuse. Although they say verbal abuse can be equally damaging. I suppose shunning falls into the category of neglect too.

Thankfully there are a few people who have been taking LDS Inc. to task and even to court for abusing people sexually, which is not something to be taken lightly.

Date: January 17, 2016 09:21PM

I agree with this. Not related to abuse but I know a guy who steals. Like all the time. He goes to the temple! I know he hasn't repented because apologies have not been issued (at least not to me nor to the people around me he's stolen from). The members just sweep it under the rug. Ridiculous.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 12:59AM

I am SOOOOO proud to be hated by the CULT! Anything that evil that hates me makes me know I am doing something right!!!

thatsnotmyname - that guy you are talking about is the reason why the temple locker rooms have locks on everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 01:00AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 11:08AM

The final accusation against me was that I was abusive because I told my DW the truth about the church! That is considered inexcusable abuse. Not because of pressure but merely saying the truth.

Having left, I now freely tell DW more as I assured the SP I would.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.