Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 09:40AM

Is it just me or does the LDS Politburo seem to be readying the masses for the impending Nelson Presidency?

There is Nelson's recent public revelatory proclamation that God doesn't want children of married gays to join his church and everywhere I look on FB there are posts and pronouncements from him (none of the other FP or Q12). A lot. I can't remember ever seeing this much visibility out of him.

Knowing how the LDS leadership operates like the former Soviet politburo it only leads me to the conclusion that Monson must either be unable to mentally function now or is very close to ending his mortal probation.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 10:42AM

Very little the church does is coincidence imo...once you see the program you can almost read between the lines...such as my ex bish buddy wondering why the essays came out about the same time as the british unpleasantness...then he asks me...well duh...its ass covering...plausible deniability...we got caught with our britches down...this gay children matter in my opinion is the same crap...avoiding lawsuits...when much of your leadership are lawyers bankers and businesss guys...whatta ya expect...of course nelson is being promoted...somebodies gotta wear the $&@&$ mantle...last two stake pres here have been lawyers...interviewed by lawyers from HQ...well duh...who talks lawyer talk better than one of the sacred brotherhood...my buddy seems confused

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 11:08AM

Tough times for the Morg. Time to bring in the big guns--Elder Shark and Sister Barracuda. They aren't going to take things lying down! They know the best defense is a good offense and being offensive is their specialty.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 11:18AM

Methinks the mad doctor is being prepped and gloved for the most critical operation of his career......that of transplanting a new heart into the moribund corpse of mormonism.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 11:19AM

At 91, Nelson won't exactly have a long reign. Even if he took over tomorrow, he is already well beyond the average male lifespan. When someone is over 80, there is a good chance that he/she will have a debilitating disease like a stroke and become incapacitated, let alone die.

What a ridiculous organization who replaces a senile 88 year old CEO with a 91 year old man. The relatively spry Dallin Oaks, 83, is waiting in the wings for his turn at the helm.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 11:27AM

Ahhh Shummy...you are truly the word wizard today...well spoken

Date: January 18, 2016 11:30AM

Does anyone have trouble imagining that Dallin is already the de facto leader?

Hincko surely showed him the way.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 12:05PM

In the power structure of the Q12/FP, do we know if Nelson and Oaks are allies or opposites?

Seems like Tom Phillips could weigh in on that?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 05:39PM

Hinckster took over the church when he was made a special asst to the 1st Presidency in the early 1980s. At the time SWK and both his assts, Tanner and Romney, were incapacitated. Hinckster ran the 1st Presidency until SWK died. Then ETB made him 1st Counselor, with Tommy Monson as 2nd. When ETB went down, Hinckster and Monson were there to run the show. Hunter was a blip on the radar, and then Hinckster took full control.

Neither Hoaks nor Nelson have ever been in the 1st Presidency. Eyring and Sgt. Schulz are the ones running things now.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: January 19, 2016 07:13PM

It is true that Hinckley was the man behind the curtain for nearly 30 years. His background in journalism and public relations prepared him well for the job of Counselor to SWK, as did more than two decades of service as a General Authority leading up to that appointment in 1981.

But not all church presidents have the benefit of such broad experience before they inherit. In the 20th century, for example, Hunter, Benson, Kimball, G.A. Smith, and Grant never served as Counselor to a church president. And for that matter, neither did Woodruff, Taylor, or Young before them.

One might speculate these men were never called as Counselors because their current church presidents didn't think they were qualified for one reason or another. In fact I think it is very likely that nobody called Packer as a Counselor for that reason, despite the fact that he was first called to the QoTA as an Assistant in 1961.

And so, Dallin waits in the wings. He will be president if he lives long enough, and the fact that he was never called as a Counselor to the FP is irrelevant. The fact that Eyring and Uchtdorf are essentially at that helm of the ship for the present is also irrelevant to an impending Oaks presidency.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 04:32PM

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 05:35PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 06:02PM

Ewwww! Don't want that to be visible!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 18, 2016 05:50PM

If only.

Date: January 18, 2016 06:08PM

Ewwwww! Russell's Johnson.

His staff of Min that was long past its max.

I wonder if he saved the scalpel that he slashed Spencie's chest open with?

I know I would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2016 06:13PM by Shummy.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: January 19, 2016 01:27AM

Nelson's Scalpel is kept with the Sword of Laban.

Posted by: terrydactyl ( )
Date: January 19, 2016 01:58AM

Politburo indeed! He better hope he isn't a figurative Beria.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavrentiy_Beria#Arrest.2C_trial_and_execution

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 19, 2016 09:05PM

IMO, Oaks and Nelson made up the Packer threesome trouble makers for wayward members. (Ask me about it.)

When I ran into Packer trouble, they were his "committee of two or three in all things".

Before I became aware of this, I used to think I could appeal to Nelson (as a Dr., and therefore more enlightened and kindly, I mistakenly thought), when I was attached by Packer. Boy, was I wrong.

To me, Monson is by far less combative, and doesn't have the stomach (or will) to abuse members. When he was put in place as President, he looked like a deer who is stunned by the headlights of cars coming at him. When he became an authority, I think he just didn't know how to say "no", besides being well aware of how "perfect" he was supposed to be (or thought he should be), but was not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.