Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 05:30PM

My nevermo sister-in-law was telling me that every so often she gets Mormons at the door looking for my brother, and she has to go through a prepared speech about how her husband hasn't been a Mormon in decades and he is *not* interested. She's been a good sport about all this, but my brother isn't. He gets very angry about the stalking and harassment he has received over the years, the ambushes disguised as dinner parties, etc. If he has to go to the door it gets nasty.

The other day, I had to explain to a Mormon genealogy leader church friend of my parents that I'm willing to let my parents share my research, but I'm not going to help them prepare temple ordinance cards or enter data into the new Family Tree system. I think this practice of baptism for the dead is deplorable, and I want no part in it. It didn't end there. He continued to insist I help them, using guilt tactics and veiled threats about consequences in the afterlife until I told him that if I had any doubt I would still be in the LDS church. Stunned silence. The sad part is that he seemed like a nice man. He has just been trained by the Mormon church to use these tactics to get what they want him to get for them.

This sort of behavior is unacceptable. I don't know what it's like in Utah, and frankly I couldn't care less, but around here the Mormons have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with their social ineptness and bad behavior in the interest of spreading their religion. It's unnecessary to evangelize their church like that. It's not my fault that the Mormon religion is too idiotic for normal people to believe in, but hard sales tactics only isolate Mormons further from polite society.

I hear it every time the topic comes up. I had a co-worker who used to refer to the Mormons as "one of the more obnoxious brands of Christianity." It's a very common sentiment that Mormon church has rightly earned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 05:46PM

"I don't know what it's like in Utah,"

It's a thousand times worse. When they have a super majority, they're like a pack of jackals. They have a sense of entitlement like no other group I've ever seen.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 06:41PM

I'm not surprised in the least.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 07:13PM

I agree. Mormons believe they have the Lard on their side which

entitles them to do whatever they want to get what they want.

They have no boundries.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 07:18PM

I learned a long time ago how to set boundaries. I inform them of their obnoxious behavior loudly and publicly.

They don't like to be called to repentance by an apostate for some reason. I usually try to mix in a few biblical versus that I remember for fun.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 07:41PM

Yes! "Loudly & publicly"

3 months ago, I posted about missionaries riding their bike across my yard, breaking my sprinkler.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1682640,1682640#msg-1682640

Thanks to some good folks on this board, I was able to attain the local MP's phone number to complain. I called the MP's office & spoke to a snooty secretary who was no help. She told me the MP would get back to me. Never happened.
So, I wrote a letter & sent it to the COB HQ. I included a detailed invoice, complete with $75.00 for admin fees & mileage to Home Depot to buy a new sprinkler. Total bill: $157.00.
They sent me a check for the full amount. I wish I could post pics here with the invoice, letter & check written from the local stake's account. I'm betting my address has a big red X on it from now on. Sometimes "Loud & publicly" is the only thing they understand.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 22, 2016 07:28PM

They have a number of things going against them. First, there's the god on their side (as mentioned above) but second there the boundary removing conditioning that comes with being part of a ward and treating all ward members as part of a nosy family. This, of course, extends to former and non-members. They lose all sense of appropriate boundaries and don't even recognize the idea that something is none of the GD business!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.